• Advertisement

Break-Away Outdoors & QSMA 2013 Squirrel hunt & Skeet Shoot

Quality Squirrel Management Association

Moderator: Bullie

Forum rules
1. The QSMA President has the right to EDIT/DELETE anything in this forum as he sees fit.

2. Any disagreements in this forum will first be addressed by his royal highness, the QSMA President.

3. In the event a dispute can not/ will not be addressed by the QSMA President, an outside arbitrator (gtk) will offer his opinion.

4. This is a PRO-QSMA forum.

Break-Away Outdoors & QSMA 2013 Squirrel hunt & Skeet Shoot

Postby vahunterinms » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Man what a time we had today!! My son, his girlfriend, my Niece and Jughead and his boys help me with my cast of Palmer home kids this morning. Break-Away Outdoors asked if the QSMA would take some of the Palmer home Kids on a squirrel hunt and ofcourse we did.

Well it's a good thing a good hunt isn't judged by the amount of Squirrels killed but by the quality of the hunt. This morning we woke up to ice all over the truck!! Once the truck was defrosted we made our way to meet up with everyone. We took our time and made it to our destination safe. Once we done the introductions and went through the saftey talk we headed to the woods. Right off the bat I here dogs treed and just knew we were about to have a good hunt.. NOT!!! Petey made one good solid tree and the squirrel was found and shot, but after that it was dead. All of the other cast said the same thing Squirrels moved early and then just shut off. After a long walk through the woods Petey was treed again but this time it was a den tree with 2 big ole boar coons. The den was at the bottom of the tree and Petey was trying to get after them like he was on fire!! After pulling Petey back we dispatched the coons and let ole petey have his thrill. That right there made the hunt! All the kids were in awe of what was going on.. At one point all of the kids were a little to close to the den while we were trying to dispatch the coons. I told them to move back incase these coons tried to bail out.. They gave us some room to handle the coons without anyone getting hurt.. After the hunt and some lunch we had a big time with a skeet shoot. A good time was had by all!!

I have to say that I am so proud of my group of kids that hunts with me on a regular basis. They went to help me out and help they did. Not one of them shot a shot, instead they helped each kid with no questions asked.. :tip: :tip:

I made a little slide show of our hunt today.. Keep these kids in your thoughts and prayers. Take a kid Hunting!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7w-___W ... e=youtu.be
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Re: Break-Away Outdoors & QSMA 2013 Squirrel hunt & Skeet Sh

Postby Bullie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:49 pm

We sure had a fine time! This was the 4th year we have done a QSMA squirrel hunt and it might well have been the most fun of the whole bunch. Like VA said, the morning did start off a little dicey. When I went out to start the truck yesterday morning I found it completely iced over and more rain falling!!! We had to change plans about the pre-hunt meeting because of the weather and detours but we all made it to the hunting area safely so things were good. We had a meet & greet and a short safety meeting then grouped up for our hunts. Man, it was impressive looking across the field at all those folks heading to the woods. I didn't do a head count but there had to be 30+ folks spread out across the field.

Team Petey went north; team Big Jay went west; and team Jiggs went south. If I had been a squirrel seeing all those folks heading at me I would have holed up tight!!! :) We walked Jiggs about .8 mile up a road before we cast her and she went right to treeing. The first squirrel was about 30 yards into the woods and she was telling on that rascal. One of the kids was standing with me and asking lots of questions about what she was doing and when I knew to go to her. He might make a squirrel hunter!! He was telling me when Jiggs was sure by the end of the hunt. Jiggs made 4 more trees really fast and I thought we were gonna really put a hurting on the squirrels. It sounded like a war or a Snider hunt every time she treed. Those youngens didn't mind pulling the trigger on one!!!! The kids were having a ball. The last squirrel she treed was in a snag about 8 feet tall. One of the kids and I beat on that old tree for a long time and I was about to call it when I poked a limber branch up toward the top of snag, well it must of hit that bushytail in the rear because it launched out of the snag and nearly landed on the young man with the promising baseball swing!!!! His eyes were as big as plates when the squirrel landed on the big oak behind him. He had nothing else to worry about though as he had plenty of friends waiting to take out the offending squirrel!!! And they did!!!

Jiggs made a couple of big circles (course I pulled her in when she went in past 450 yards :) ) and came back to us with nothing so I figured things were slowing down. I was wrong. Things had completely stopped. We treed on one den on the way out. The action totally stopped. So back to the trucks we went. My little group finished with 6 squirrels in the bag and one getting away. We had a fine time.

We went to my church for lunch and ate up a little BBQ I had made and some of Ms. Carla's baked beans and cole slaw. I think the kids enjoyed that too. I have done several of these lunches and this is the first time we ended up with practically no food left. They ate up some pig. We went back out to the hunting area and had a big time shooting some skeets. Towards then end I even put on a shotgun shooting exposition for Big Jay and a few others. They were duly impressed.

I want to bring attention to a few folks that were a major part of putting the hunt together. We couldn't have done this without them. I want to thank my brother in law, Harvey Lee, for donating the food for the lunch and arranging with the landowner, Daniel Murphy, to use his place. I don't know how many we fed, but I think they were all full when we headed back out to shoot. Harvey is the county supervisor for this district and I think we lit a fire under him yesterday. He was already talking about next year and how we could do this better and who else we could get involved. I also want to thank my wife Carla. She works behind the scenes every year putting the meals together and making sure I am at least half organized. She is a blessing to me and makes a whole lot of these hunts happen. Plus, she is a fine cook. I also want to thank the teachers at my school that donated money and food. Y'all helped in a big way.

Thanks to guys that brought their dogs and took the time to explain what we love to those kids. I think we made a positive impression and we will have no problems getting a few of them to come back next year.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah, I thought about yall when I got up Sat morn and saw all the ice/rain.

Glad yall had fun !
gtk
Admin

Postby Bullie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Remembering my BIL Harvey Lee today. He played a big part in getting this hunt together.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby gtk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm

i saw that on the news.. sorry for you & carla's loss..
gtk
Admin

Return to QSMA