• Advertisement

Getting Excited

Stick & String.. No Cams .. Talk traditional archery

Getting Excited

Postby FireCloud » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:32 pm

With opening day just three weekends away, I am getting very eager to take my trusty Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve into the woods. It's such a pleasure to pick up the weapon I first bought at age 15 in the summer of 1968 and which I have shot continuously since then. With the opening of this bow season, I will be starting my 44th year of flinging arrows from this bow. The memories of past hunts are treasured and for that reason alone it is simply aweseome to take a deer with this weapon.

- 070.jpg

The bow is fully capable of taking a deer within the limitation of its range. I limit my shots and consider a season highly successful if I get to fling more than one arrow at a deer during the entire four month season. Last year I got to shoot three arrows but did not bag a deer. You have to make every shot count with this bow and the deer usually have the upper hand.

But occasionally, some deer will make the mistake of giving me a good shot opportunity. This fat doe was killed 10-29-09 two seasons ago. The deer only presented me a facing shot and so I shot her through the base of the neck. The arrow passed through and exited below her front shoulder leaving a good blood trail and a quick kill.

normal_Hinds_027.jpg

Thinking back over past hunts and looking at photos of past kills has made me ready for season to open! I'm really getting excited now and hope to put a couple of deer in the freezer with my recurve very soon.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Traditional Archery