• Advertisement

Why did you go traditional ?

Stick & String.. No Cams .. Talk traditional archery

Why did you go traditional ?

Postby gtk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Why did you pick up bowhunting with traditional equipment? Satisfaction from it being more difficult? Just because of the increase in skill needed? Had you killed plenty of deer with a regular bow and just wanted something more difficult ?

I could see myself getting in to traditional bowhunting if, and thats a big IF, I had plenty of deer under my belt already with a bow.. I bowhunted HARD for several years, gave it up, and then picked it up again when MHN on this forum loaned me his Mathews bow.. Counting the 5 years or so I quit bowhunting, I probably put in 15 years with a compound before I killed my first, which was last year. This year I actually let two walk with my bow.. But I still would like to take a few more deer with my bow before switching to traditional..
gtk
Admin

Re: Why did you go traditional ?

Postby thwack16 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I picked up a recurve last year just for fun really.

Also, I find that there is a dead time in my season from the second week or so in November til when I can expect the rut to pick up in mid December. By that time, I've got a doe or two in with the compound and just need something to mix it up. I did a lot of hunting with the recurve this season but never took a shot. Can't wait til this coming season though.
I figure God only gave me so many sunrises, I might as well not miss one.
thwack16
4 Point

Postby RonD » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm

I wish I could give a precise answer to that that would say it all but I can't. When I stop to give it deep consideration I think the primary reason was the simplicity and at the same tiime the difficulty. The commercialization of the compound industry and the pressure to constantly upgrade to this sight or this arrow rest, or even the economic pressures on selecting which bow to shoot just wore me out. With the longbow today I can do everything for myself from making my own arrows from river cane to making my own strings and for the more capable the makinig of ones own bow of either the self-bow or the modern longbow or recurve. The harvesting of animals does not drive my desire to hunt with the traditional bow. It is the skill that it takes to move through the woods quietly, to get as close to the animal as possible, and if so desired to harvest the animal. Turkey hunting to me is about the same for trad hunters as it is for compounders: make or setup a blind and wait for them while calling. Turkey harvests are probably the easier for the trad hunter than any other animal, including small game. Deer are by far the hardest to harvest for trad hunters to include the larger species of bear, elk, moose, etc. Hogs to me are a tremendous challenge to hunt with the trad bow and requires the greatest of skill to stalk when found. With hogs I think the trad shooters has to be more particular about the size of the hog depending on the draw weight and draw length of the shooter. But all in all, when it comes to why I shoot and hunt with traditional equipment it is because of the fun it provides.
RonD
button buck

Postby Warren H. Womack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:16 pm

When I started bowhunting, in 1969, the only choice I had was either a recurve bow or a longbow. My choice was a recurve that I hunted with until 1975, when I was able to get one of the very first three compound bows to come to the Baton Rouge area.

I hunted with wheel bows through the 92 season then came full circle, back to a recurve for the 93 season. From that season I've continued to shoot/hunt with the recurve. For me it's just more fun shoot and I appreciate my kills more.

It's hand/eye coordination, just like throwing a ball to a catchers mitt, making a goal with a basketball, casting a bait and so on and so on.

It's really special to focus on a "spot" draw to anchor, release and watch that arrow go to the exact spot you are looking at. Yea, it's fun.
Hunt hard, be safe & have fun
>>>===Warren===>>>

http://www.newoutdoorcore.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45
Warren H. Womack
button buck

Postby junker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 am

i bought my first bow 3 years ago. its a 63# recurve. I had not hunted in 15 years and a customer of mine invited me over to his house to shoot. I bought it that night. I was addicted.

i bought it in spring...shot every day that i could for hours.

I missed this 6 point opening day at 12 yds. He showed 2 days later and i dropped him at 48 yds.

i dropped 3 more deer that season.
Lost Nation Archery: Supplying fathers of triplets since 4/3/2009. Thanks Larry and Janice
http://www.lostnationarchery.com/
junker
Spike

Postby bigsmoke » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

it's what Daddy had to shoot 40 years ago and whatever Daddy did,I did. Now I still shoot traditional and so do my 14 year old son and 13 year old twin daughters. :thumbsup: we shoot bear, Ben Pearson and homemade self bows.
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25
PSE X FORCE
BLACKHAWK HORNET RECURVE
BEN PEARSON COUGAR RECURVE
DALES TURKEY CALLS
REMINGTON EXPRESS 12 GUAGE 3 INCHER
bigsmoke
4 Point

Postby phildaddy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 am

Well I started about the same time Warren did. Back then we didn't have much choice. My first bow kill was with an old Indian Archery bow pulling about 40#. I have hunted with compounds since then but you just never get it out of your blood. I mainly used Mathews and PSE. I just bought a new Mathews Z7 and love it but there is just something missing. I never realized it until I started reading all these forums. The more I read about trad the more excited I get about it. I just bought an old York Tracker from a guy off of AT. Should be here next week. Probably not much bow but at least I can tell whether I can still pull and shoot one. For what I gave for it, I can whoop armidillos with it and not break me. :D If I still can do it and like it like I think I will, I will definately be looking for something.
phildaddy
6 Point

Postby RonD » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:50 am

Phildaddy, when you get your York Tracker please post a photo of it. I know I would like to see it and am sure others would too. Glad you are thinking seriously about a full time shift to trad archery and bowhunting. Like you I started with the compound and went to the recurve then to the lonbow. I have to admit that I don't shoot the longbow as well as I shot the compound nor am I as accurate with the longbow. But, they are two totally different bow systems. My son just bought a Matthew Switchback so we could go hunting together. However, I told him that when we go hunting he had to keep his bow in the front seat and mine in the back so they do not get to fighting or something else they shouldn't be doing. Wouldn't want any MatBeelers hanging on the wall.
RonD
button buck

Postby mhn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 pm

I went to traditional several years ago under the guidence of Brooks Ford, and i love it! I still shot compounds up till 2000, but have taken several deer and a nice 12 point on public land, so now I don't bother with the compounds anymore! Another reason I shoot trad. is someone (gtk) still has my compound! :2TU:
mhn
8 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:23 pm

mhn wrote:Another reason I shoot trad. is someone (gtk) still has my compound!

And a fine shooting bow it is too !!!!! :2TU:

I'd bring it back to you, but you moved to another state :P
gtk
Admin

Postby mhn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 am

gtk wrote:
mhn wrote:Another reason I shoot trad. is someone (gtk) still has my compound!

And a fine shooting bow it is too !!!!! :2TU:

I'd bring it back to you, but you moved to another state :P

Keep it, I do just fine without it! :ylsuper:
mhn
8 Point

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 pm

For me, it's more like why I didn't ever go to a compound. One of my teenage hunting buddies got a custom built Pounds Archery bow and encouraged me to give bow hunting a try. So I did. I bought my Bear Kodiak Magnum in 1968 and immediately got hooked. And I have never put this bow down in the 41 years since. I love it, have turned down offers to buy it, and will shoot it until I can't pull it back.

A couple years later, I took archery in college (ok, yeah, it was a sop course and and easy "A" for a bowhunter, I admit it but my GPA could use all the help it could get!) and learned how to shoot a longbow. If the time comes when I ever have any extra money again, I do have my eye on a custom crafted longbow or two that I would also like to own and shoot.

In those early days everyone I knew was a traditional archer, as compounds had not yet been invented. But it was not long until compounds came on the scene and some of my friends decided to give them a try. I stuck with my trusty recurve.

A group of us in Grenada hacked out with machettes our own private field archery target range at an old confederate fort on one of the guy's family property. It is a bit laughable at the tournaments we attempted to hold in those days...mostly it was just a few basic animal targets propped up in lanes we cleared in the woods. But it was fun to build our own range and hold our own tournaments. The guys shooting the compounds were able to score higher than most any of us traditional archers, and I think as the guys saw the two bow types competing together, the results convinced many to go to compounds. Needless to say, the compound shooters rubbed it in when they outshot us traditional archers. However, traditional archery is highly addictive and by that time I was totally hooked on the traditional methods.

OUr fearless group leader went on to bigger and better things as an officer and influential person in the MBA organization and did a lot of other great things for archery, including help get the great archery range now on the Corp property at Grenada Lake. Most all of my bow hunting buddies got compounds and, of course, bought every newer, faster, better bow that came on the scene in an endless pursuit to get the ultimate deer killing machine in their hands.

Meanwhile, I just kept using my same bow, shooting thousands upon thousands of arrows from it. Decades went by and I got a little better with it. Still, I will never be as good as the pro staff people I know who can shoot amazingly with their compound bows. My hat is off to them!

But for me, the challenge of hunting with a traditional bow is so fulfilling that if you gave me a compound today, I probably would never shoot it. As I have said over and over, I have never even once shot a compound bow. Nor do I have any desire to do so. I think it is much like why a fly fisherman likes to tie his own lures, maybe even makes his own rods, and wades within range of the fish, knowing the art of his craft is what will give him success. A dedicated fly fisherman is not interested in fishing with a Zebco spinning reel.

The satisfaction of traditional archery is so powerful that I can let deer walk now when the shot is not right or the animal is not one I am ready to harvest. The pursuit of the game and getting into an eyeball to eyeball shot situation with a traditional bow is such powerful adrenalin it does not always matter if an animal is killed. If it isn't, then I can always hunt it again.

Pappa Hemmingway told many stories in his writings of being able to literally hear the animal breath just a few yards away through the brush. Traditional archery gets you up close and personal with the game so that you can literally see the deer's long eyelashes blink or hear it crush an acorn. I don't get that experience when shooting a deer 150 yards out with a scoped rifle. And a shot with a compound using a presighted pin at 50 yards similarly takes the close encounter out of the equation. It just does not excite me to the same extent as instinctively finger shooting at a spot your naked eye is focusing upon on the side of a deer 15 yards away. That is why I have never gone to a compound; the thrill is just not as intense.

I like the fact that my string goes "twang" in a high "C" note when I let the arrow fly and that the deer might even be able to react to it by ducking or jumping the slow arrow coming toward it. (Several have!) It puts me against the animal on terms where the deer has the advantage. Therefore harvesting game under those conditions means my skill as a hunter has to overcome those limitations and essentially fool the deer. I cannot rely upon a range finder, lighted preset sight pins, stabilizers and silencers, release aids, mechanical let off, and the sheer power of the bow to defeat the deer's keen defenses. I have to be a much better hunter in order to succeed than if I depended on those things. So for me, traditional archery is a "be all you can be" type of hunting; it makes me a better, more skilled hunter and I like that too.

If you have not given traditional archery a try, then by all means do so! It is awesome!!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:14 am

I enjoy shooting all types of archery eqpt. I haven't deer hunted with my recurves alot in the past few years but have killed deer with them. Still waiting on my first recurve buck and know it'll be a special day when I get him. I do alot of "plinking" with my Pearson Recurve and enjoy walking thru the field with it shooting the occassional rabbit, lots of ant beds, grass clumps, etc. I just enjoy shooting it and can definitely say it's addictive. I may never go to exclusively shooting/hunting with a recurve or longbow but as long as I can draw a bow I'll own and shoot them.
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Return to Traditional Archery