• Advertisement

My First Recurve Practice Today

Stick & String.. No Cams .. Talk traditional archery

My First Recurve Practice Today

Postby FireCloud » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Despite making myself a promise to get started shooting at least a dozen arrows every day, working 13 and 14 hour days on my two jobs Thursday and Friday just did not leave me any time to begin my pre-season target practice until today. But about 7:45 this evening I began rounding up all my gear, grabbed my Bear recurve, a half dozen field points, and got at it.

It was at this point I discovered my bow has become a lot stronger this year! I believe it gained about 10 pounds of extra draw weight because it took much more effort than I remembered having to use last year just to get it strung. Since I know I have not gotten physically any weaker, the only possible answer is the bow's poundage has increased. I figured the limbs must have warped out a little while it was unstrung. Yeah, that has to be it! :D

This year I came up with the novel idea to use my compost pile as a backstop behind the target block. So I set the block on a small table that puts the bull's eye about the right height for a deer and took up a position about 10 or 12 yards away. Dusk had arrived and the target was a little hard to see clearly, which made it pretty realistic like a deer coming out to feed in the evening shadows would be.

I nocked my first arrow, drew, aimed, and let the arrow fly in one smooth motion. Man, it sure felt good to shoot my recurve again! I heard the satisfying sound of the solid thwack of the arrow as it hit the target and watched the target rock back and forth from the impact. But the arrow hit too high near the top of the block, so I made a mental note to aim lower and nocked my second shot.

I drew the ACC shaft back, adjusted my point of aim lower than before, and released. This time, my point of aim was too low and I shot under the table holding up the target block. The arrow passed through the table legs just like it would do when flying under a deer's belly. Well, at least I have a realistic set up, I decided.

That is when I discovered a four foot thick compost pile will not stop an arrow. Interestingly, the arrow managed to find an open square in the wire mesh garden fencing after passing through the compost pile and head for the tomato plants. I was awaiting the splush of a large red tomato hanging near the arrow's flight path but somehow the arrow managed to miss it. It also managed to fly through a bell pepper plant in the next row without spearing any of the bell peppers. Then I heard the ugly sound of the arrow hitting the cedar fencing. I silently wondered if the arrow passed through the fence and got into the neighbor's yard. If it did, their dog would using it as his new chew toy by the time I could get to it and I would lose a $13 arrow. The cedar fence is also very hard on my arrows. Thankfully, the compost pile, the garden veggie plants, and the distance from the fencing slowed the arrow's progress enough it only penetrated the 3/8 thick cedar fencing about 3 inches. I was able to get the arrow out undamaged. But I did make a mental note to improve my backstop and to adjust my aim a little higher.

I dismissed the first two shots as "testers" to get my point of aim in focus and concentrated on shooting the other four arrows into the target. As I knocked my third arrow, I adjusted my point of aim to a midway point and released. The arrow found its mark this time with a good hit in the center bull's eye. I shot the other three arrows and they grouped fairly well, although not nearly as tight as I would have prefered with only two in the center bull's eye black spot. Still, two of four is a 50% ratio, and not that bad for a first day, or so I told myself. I have a row of markers at 10 yards and 15 yards out from my tree stand and many of the deer that wander under my stand eventually get within those two markers if I am patient enough to wait for them to do so. Thus any of the four shots would have been killing shots.

I pulled those arrows, then shot another half dozen with fairly similar results before it got too dark to shoot. Tomorrow I will have plenty of time for a nice practice session and can ramp up with more shots to "catch up" on my shooting schedule for the two days missed. Shooting my recurve today was felt so great I can't wait to get back in front of the target tomorrow!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: My First Recurve Practice Today

Postby LazyGhost » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:28 pm

I will probably wait untill a few days before the season opener to practice and blame any deer I miss on ducking, jumping, or my sight getting bumped. :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Return to Traditional Archery