• Advertisement

1000+ Arrows Flung; 58 days to go!

Stick & String.. No Cams .. Talk traditional archery

1000+ Arrows Flung; 58 days to go!

Postby FireCloud » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 pm

The almost daily showers have caused me to miss a few afternoon target practice sessions with my bow, but even so, I have now easily flung way over 1,000 arrows at my target. With only 59 days left before opening day, I am ramping up my practice. Typically I am shooting groups of 8 arrows in 5 or more sets from the two current positions I have set up at 10 and 15 yards. Since I am now getting a high enough percentage of my arrows in the kill zone at these ranges, I will soon be adding a 20 and 25 yard station to my practice range.

Here is a set shot today from 10 yards. As you can see, only 1 arrow was high and the other 7 are within the kill zone, for an 87.5% hit ratio.

- 457.jpg

- 461.jpg

Satisfied with my 10 yard groups, I moved back to the 15 yard station and here is a group shot from there. I shot 5 of the 8, or 62.5% of the shots in the kill zone from this range.

- 462.jpg

What makes me especially happy is to see at least one arrow of each group dead center on the blue square of tape. This is a bit harder than it looks, as from 15 yards back, this 2 inch square of tape looks pretty small and is very hard to see in the dusky, low light conditions as daylight fades. And when you finger shoot instinctively but cannot really see the target well, it really tests your instictive ability to group your arrows tightly.

But since the deer here tend to walk out at dusk, practicing until I can hit the target whether I can see it clearly or not is what I have to do. It is much like when I did my dark water dive rescue certification training and had to disassemble and reassemble parts underwater while blindfolded. You just have to learn to concentrate and stay mentally focused!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: 1000+ Arrows Flung; 58 days to go!

Postby BIGERN76 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Lookin good FireCloud, keep it up. I need to be shootin more but I work evenings and it is just about to darn hot to shoot in the middle of the day. :?
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Come on...get your bow out and practice! Bow season is coming quickly and we need to be fully ready on opening day. What's a little heat when you are doing what you enjoy?

Practice is helping me get my groups much better for sure. This year I am putting in enough practice to really make a difference in my results. I am sometimes hearing my arrows hit each other when I put one in almost the same hole as where another arrow hit. Today I shot three arrows so closely grouped that all three were touching each other. Now if I can just get them all to do that.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:19 am

good shootin firecloud.....today my neighbor gave me 2 gicantic targets...like 7 feet tall by 4 feet wide....gonna use it for shooting at 40 -50 yards....im good for 0-40...but have never shot past 40 in my life...so ill use them gicantic things so i wont loose arrows at 40-50...hell i might even go crazy and shoot out to 100 yards!!!!!!!
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 am

saddaddykiller wrote:good shootin firecloud.....today my neighbor gave me 2 gicantic targets...like 7 feet tall by 4 feet wide....gonna use it for shooting at 40 -50 yards....im good for 0-40...but have never shot past 40 in my life...so ill use them gicantic things so i wont loose arrows at 40-50...hell i might even go crazy and shoot out to 100 yards!!!!!!!

Ha ha....that's funny. Well, if you have a 28 SF target, you oughta be able to hit it somewhere for sure! But what are you going to do when you have to hit a 6 inch circle on the side of a deer? If you just keep shooting at your normal size target and work your way further back in small increments, you won't be missing your normal sized target enough to worry about it.

But if you want a cheap (actually probably free) backstop that does a decent job, visit a sign shop and get them to give you some old plastic signs. Every sign shop has tons of them. I usually get about a 4 foot by 5 foot panel. Just prop up or hang two panels one behind the other behind your target to cover the area where you think you might miss. The arrows usually stop in the first panel but if not, they will be caught by the second one. They are easy to pull out and the plastic lasts forever.

- 044.jpg

I also use the plastic signboard as lining for my home built tree stands. They are extremely lightweight, waterproof, durable, and keep the wind out, in addition to being free. They attach easily with any staple gun. If you want to camo them, you can paint them, however, the deer don't care what color your tree stands are. They will spot them no matter how you paint them.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Traditional Archery