• Advertisement

Finishing Getting My Bow Ready

Stick & String.. No Cams .. Talk traditional archery

Finishing Getting My Bow Ready

Postby FireCloud » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 pm

I met one of my forum hunting buddies this afernoon and we visited a couple of local archery shops to look for an item or two I wanted to find before season opens. I have looked at a few shops already but it is difficult to find some items for traditional bows like mine. However, at Copperhead Bows in Brandon I did finally find a new arrow rest. My old arrow rest has served me well for many years but had worn down completely with some parts now torn off or loose. The new "Bear Hair" arrow rest and backplate are now both nicely mounted on my bow. I took the time to clean my bow tonight also.

When I got a new custom made bow string recently at Lakeway Archery in Grenada, I also picked up a roll of camo tape that I decided to try. This stuff only sticks to itself, not your bow, so it does not leave any sticky tape residue on your bow finish. It appears to be essentially medical wrapping tape that has the Mossy Oak Break Up pattern on it. It was easy to apply, gives a really nice gripping surface, and looks awesome on my bow. This tape does a great job of adhereing to itself and does not move once it is applied. It blends in so well, if I prop my bow against a tree, I may never find it again! One 4 foot roll was enough to cover my bow with none left over. The cost of $15 is a little expensive but I think it is going to prove to be a great accessory.

I picked up a wrap around rubber strapped bow quiver mount that is designed for bow fishing but which will allow me to mount any type quiver on my bow. My old quiver is just worn out so I figured it is time to retire it and get a new one. I refuse to drill any holes in my beautiful traditional bow so mounting even something as simple as a bow quiver is not easy. ultimately I want to hand make a back quiver from deer hide but that is a future project.

While at Copper Head Bows, I checked out their 3D target range. They have traditional bow shoots every Thursday evening at the range behind the shop. It's a cool set up because all the targets are about 20 feet below the shooting area which is located at the top of a ridge. So it is like shooting from an elevated tree stand down at the 3D targets. I had brought one of my practice arrows with me that was missing one of the three fletches. And I did not bring either my shooting glove or a finger tab. However, I had to try out the target range anyway.

The beauty of learning to shoot instinctively is that you can compensate for any conditions you encounter. So I asked my friend to pick out a target for me to hit. He selected a deer in a bedded down position about 15 yards out and of course about 10 yards lower in elevation. I notched my two fletched arrow, drew back with my three bare fingers under the arrow, and shot. I had forgotten how much fiction is created by the bowstring ripping over your bare fingers as you release. It stings when you shoot that way and it also makes releasing your arrow cleanly a major problem. I failed to compensate enough for shooting from a higher elevation and shot slighly over the back of the bedded deer. I hiked down the hill, retrieved my one arrow, and puffed back up the mountainside to the shooting area. Of course, I had to try again!

This time, I took an extra moment to hold my shot before release and line it up a little better. The friction from the bare finger release did "tork" my bow string slightly and the arrow went a few inches right of my intended point of aim. However I stabbed the bedded deer squarely at the base of her neck and the arrow penetrated well. I pronounced the deer "DEAD" to the onlookers and quit while I was ahead. Not bad for bare finger shooting an arrow with a missing cock feather. I'll gladly take a neck shot on a bedded deer because that will give me a great blood trail to follow.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Finishing Getting My Bow Ready

Postby ocsgemt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Fire cloud I have really been wanting to pick up another recurve or long bow. Reading your post about getting ready dont help.I have some nice Hoyt high speed equipment but I sure do miss that feeling of shooting the old recurve like when I was a kid. when the weather got cold everything was fair game. until the porch light came on.
ocsgemt
button buck

Re: Finishing Getting My Bow Ready

Postby FireCloud » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Glad you like my posts. For a photo of the bow and my last kill with it, check out the "Getting Excited" thread I posted yesterday. It's probably one or two pages deep by now.

Not sure where you are located but Copperhead Bows in Brandon will custom make you a dandy longbow if you want one. I am planning on having them make me one when I can find the extra cash.

I still shoot the same bow I bought and shot as a 15 year old kid. It's now the beginning of my 44th year to shoot it. I enjoy it FAR MORE now that I have the legacy of hundreds of hunts over several decades with this bow.

The thrill of killing deer with nothing more than stick and string is awesome. I shoot instinctively with no sights. Other than wearing a shooting glove, I use absolutely nothing to aid me, such as a stabilizer bar, release aid, sight pins, etc. It's about as primitive as you can get.

If you put down your modern bow and start hunting with a primitive bow, you will likely NEVER pick up a modern bow again. It is highly addictive! Don't say you were not warned.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Traditional Archery