• Advertisement

I Let Two Walk-The Rest of the Story!

Stick & String.. No Cams .. Talk traditional archery

I Let Two Walk-The Rest of the Story!

Postby FireCloud » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 am

I hunted from my main stand early this morning and about 9 am, two yearling does came up from the creek to the area I have cleared for a food plot. I heard them coming and got ready. Soon I saw the legs of one doe as she slowly made her way through the woods toward the clearing. I waited and after a minute she stepped on out into the open. I was disappointed because she was a young deer and not very big.

I noticed more movement behind her and so I waited. The second young doe soon followed her out. Both were about the same age and size and were behind a bent over red oak at the end of the clearing. The red oak is 32 yards from my stand and they were a yard or two behind it. I try to limit my shots to 30 yards or less with my recurve and so I just watched them for a minute. I stood up when they passed where the wall of the stand blocked their view of me and they never detected me.

One of them did not linger in the clearing but passed on across and went on into the woods on the east side. The other doe just stood there looking stupid for about two full minutes. She was not eating but just looking around and chewing her cud. She kept looking back into the woods so I though there might be another older doe following them but I never saw any more deer.

She never came any closer and never gave me a very good shot opportunity. The best shot I would have had was a shot with her quartering toward me at about 33 yards. It would have been an easy shot for you compound shooters but a more challenging one for me. The angle was bad as even if I hit the vital kill zone, the arrow would exit through her stomach area. It was a marginal shot opportunity on a marginal deer, so I let them both walk and they went on into the woods, probably to bed down for the day. At least I got to see a couple of deer under my stand today, so I am happy.
Last edited by FireCloud on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: I Let Two Walk Today

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:34 pm

well you made the right decision...quartering to is a no no shot.....good luck next time man
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: I Let Two Walk Today

Postby FireCloud » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 pm

What a nice, beautiful day it was to be in the woods today! This day had "DEER" written all over it! Cold this morning and perfectly still. Absolutely what is needed to make the deer move. No wind is so nice because you can hear the deer coming and your scent is not blowing everywhere. Cold is even better because there are no mosquitoes to worry about! And, as detailed in my earlier post, I did get to see two deer but just felt there were better opportunities still to be obtained.

I was right. But first, I needed some grub for tomorrow's meals so after finishing my morning hunt, I switched my bow for my .22 and went on patrol to bag some squirrels. I managed to get shots at four and hit them all. However one fell into a huge brush pile in the deep ravine behind my stand and I was unable to find him. I did not feel like moving that entire brush pile as the ravine is known for snakes so I left him for the snakes to eat. Number two squirrel was not so lucky and will be on the dinner table tomorrow. Squirrel #3 was hit solid and knocked from the limb but managed to climb into a den hole never to be seen again. Squirrel #4, a nice large one also was doomed from the start and did not escape. I love knocking the squirrels off limbs with my .22. It is like target practice for me.

Squirrel Hunting-148.jpg

After some food, a nice nap, and working for a few hours on my job tasks, I headed back to the woods about 4:30 for the afternoon hunt. It was warm now and the thermocell had to be cranked up. I sat in my stand about 45 minutes chewing some deer jerky and just enjoying the weather.

Soon I heard some scratching and rustling in a pine thicket below my stand. Although I looked carefully, I never saw anything and assumed it was probably a squirrel rooting around. However, the noise continued and moved around a bit now and then. It was a little too loud for a squirrel and I could tell it was being made by more than one animal. I began to think it might be a flock of turkeys as they sometimes visit this location. I continued to keep an eye on the area and soon heard a four legged soft gait. It sounded like it a fox or similar animal working along a ditch running through the pine thicket. By this time I was keenly alert for whatever might eventually come into view.

The terrain drops off steeply below my stand and across the ditch is a level flat that I have cleared just south of the pine thicket. The motion of a red coated fawn quietly stepping into the flat caught my eye. I knew there would be a mother doe with this one so I got my bow ready. A moment later a large grey coated doe stepped out of the thicket into the clearing below. She and the fawn were calmly nibbling on various hedge and other vegatation around the edges of the clearing. The fawn was moving around a lot but the mother doe was browsing very slowly, stopping to nibble for a bit now and then. They were in no hurry to leave the clearing but I did not want to chance standing up for a shot.

The big doe eventually turned her left side broadside to me and I decided to take a shot. She was standing square on the path I had walked on just a short time earlier and almost exactly on one of the measured spots I have. The spot was 30 yards out but also about 30 feet below my location in the tree. Here is the view from my stand.

Deer Stood Here- 059.jpg

I did my best to instinctively judge the angle and probable drop of the Steel Force broadhead, then deliberately held higher than seemed right. When things were lined up, I released and watched to see the outcome.

When you shoot a slow recurve bow at about 180 feet per second, the sound of the bow string gets to the deer about 4 times faster than the arrow does. At the sound of the string, the mother doe whirled away and accelerated from 0 to 35 mph in about 1/10th of a second with the youngster right behind her. I am convinced deer accelerate faster than any just about any animal on earth. She did not have to run, actually, because when I went to retrieve my arrow, it was stuck in the ground right between where her feet were planted. She could have stayed right there and been fine. The shot was too low and I missed her. I made a mental note to aim even higher next time.

All in all, this was a FUN day in the woods for sure! I had four different deer present me challenging, but achievable, 30 to 35 yard shots today and I got to take my pick of the one I wanted to try for. Plus, I got to pop four squirrels too, all done on on of the prettiest fall days you could hope to have. So while there is no deer hanging on the rack at the end of the day, I can truly say this was a great hunt experience nevertheless. Traditional archery is all about the challenge of getting the shot, not just about poking holes through a deer with a super fast, super powerful bow. Today I got to enjoy everything a traditional hunter could want...except maybe some backstraps!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: I Let Two Walk-The Rest of the Story!

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:44 pm

dangit!!!!!!! when i first started reading i thought u had gotten one..............that is a very tricky spot to kill a deer with a recurve because of that elevation drop...complete guessing game of where to aim
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:46 pm

It was a low percentage shot for me. I can hit about 50% of my shots at 30 yards into a small, well centered group on level ground. Even the ones not grouped as close usually would be killing shots. As the distance decreases, my percentage goes higher. The reason is this Steel Force broadhead drops like a rock. I like the head a lot, but it does not shoot anywhere close to where my target arrows hit. I should have shot at that deer with one of my arrows tipped with a Grim Reaper mechanical head. They fly exactly like my target arrows, hit right on the money and don't drop. But I did not have one of those nocked when the deer came out. However if I had shot using that arrow, I probably would have had a dead deer. I keep one of each ready but did not have time to swap out for the mechanical head.

I practice a good bit from heights ranging from 12 to 18 foot and up to 30 yard distance but have not practiced any from a 30 foot elevation so a shot like the one I took today is, as you say, just a guess. I will move my target block down to the flat and start shooting a practice arrow or two at it every day.

However, since this was a nice fat doe standing still and completely broadside to me, I had to go for it. Misses are educational...both for me and the deer. Now the two of them know what a bow sounds like and how an arrow looks flying in their direction! And I know I can hit them next time simply by raising my point of aim higher. So the bar gets raised a notch for both me and these two deer now.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby STILLHUNTER » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Good Story there Firecloud!!!! Im going to have to try out a recurve one day forsure! I let a small 7 pt and a big doe walk yesterday and it felt great to jus to get to see some deer out of the stand..... :ylsuper:
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby FireCloud » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20 pm

STILLHUNTER wrote:Good Story there Firecloud!!!! Im going to have to try out a recurve one day forsure! I let a small 7 pt and a big doe walk yesterday and it felt great to jus to get to see some deer out of the stand..... :ylsuper:

Dang, boy! Shoot that big doe! I want some more of that deer jerky. :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby STILLHUNTER » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm

FireCloud wrote:
STILLHUNTER wrote:Good Story there Firecloud!!!! Im going to have to try out a recurve one day forsure! I let a small 7 pt and a big doe walk yesterday and it felt great to jus to get to see some deer out of the stand..... :ylsuper:

Dang, boy! Shoot that big doe! I want some more of that deer jerky. :D

:rotflol: Ya man im wanting to try this 1950's model meat grinder out bad and also i need some jerky myself....
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Return to Traditional Archery