• Advertisement

Pond Management

Fishing Reports from your Favorite Lake

Pond Management

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 am

About to start mine. Since having it dug several years ago and only stocking channel cat, I began catching what I always called sun perch. A larger mouth than blue gill and not much size. I usually use them for cut bait for catfish in another lake. Yesterday I decided to use up a hundred crickets I had purchased. Well I caught 150 of the sunfish in an hour. Guess I am over run with them. Plan to do this every day in hopes of getting them under control, then add a few bass to keep them in check. Have never caught a blue gill in the pond. After research I have decided I have the green sunfish. There are many species and all are of the bream family. Tried eating some years ago and they taste like mud.

A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Pond Management

Postby bigsteve » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:36 am

What we use to call rice slicks or pond perch good bait for flat heads when fished live we used traps made out of hardware cloth to catch them you will never catch them all on a pole
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 am

I kinda figured that Steve. I do have a couple of traps. Will set them out also. No telling how many are in there.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 am

Everyone you keep out helps the pond
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Yeah jv, I have just neglected it due to the poor construction which I paid good money for. Thinking of making some alterations, if this weather ever straightens up.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:44 pm

good to have some in there for the catfish to eat but not too many youll never git rid of all them ..one male and female can stock the pond
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to Fishing