• Advertisement

My 2011 Deer Hunts

Re: My 2011 Deer Hunts

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Other than noisy squirrels, nothing moved in my scope of woods this afternoon. Sure was a pretty spot however.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 am

Its nice and warm in my teepee well before dawn but I awake Mija to ready for Hunt 56. I don my loincloth and moccasins noting it will be a cold morning for perching on a limb above a deer trail. So chew some pig fat and other fortifying nutrition then we head out.

It 32 degrees and ice frozen outside. But the wind is light and from the east so I head for rarrlesnake crossing. As we arive Mija hears a noise and pauses. Stop too but too late. A deer we bump snorts and moves off.

I ease out onto the tree limb hanging over the creek. Squatting with my knife in my teeth I settle in to await a Buck to walk underneath. I mentally practice my leap onto its back and fast slitting of its throat. I am ready. I tap out my plan via my trusty Tapatalk and upload it in hopes my unseen brothers will make appeals for my success. Mija takes a nap in my lap.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

My 2011 Deer Hunts

Postby tony270 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 am

I see the alcohol and pills haven't completely worn off
tony270
4 Point

Postby FireCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:31 am

8:15 am. A doe uses a second crossing south of my position. She is a young and small doe at 50 yards. I give her a free pass today. She stops on the east bank and studies me and Mija from a safe spot. After a couple minutes she moves on toward the food plot.

Maybe you can see her in this pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1324218694361.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

About an hour went by after the lone doe left with nothing else seen at the creek crossing. I continued to use Mija as a fur covered 100 degree hand warmer. She serves a very useful purpose for that and never requires batteries.

Around 9:15 am I heard a small noise of footsteps on the far bank of the creek. By peering closely I could see the shape of a grey fox or coyote headed south along the top of the bank but well back in the treeline affording no chance to take him. I tried to lure him in closer wiht some rabbit in distress noise made with my mouth. Apparently I sounded more like a half frozen human than a rabbit as he never broke stride. I gotta remember to download a predator call app for my smart phone!

I stayed another 30 minutes or so then headed slowly down the north trail back to the house. I figured the lone doe probably went to the food plot for a few minutes then crossed it to bed down in cover near the eastern boundary so I did not want to bump her out. This is probably the same doe I shot at nine days ago and which I have seen alone once at the food plot since then. I think I have her bedding spot identified and the main path she travels going east and west. While I am not hunting for another doe right now but hoping to get the buck I missed twice before, I may take her in the last archery season in late January to have one more deer for the freezer. For now she can just keep growing. We got a long look at each other today but I had my face mask on so that helped keep her from recognizing my face.

As Mija and I came near the south end of the trail, I spotted a small fawn standing broadside in the trail watching us approach. It probably was one of the twin fawns left behind when I shot their mother Friday. I drug her out of the woods down that same trail so they may still be hanging in the area since her scent is all over the trail. We continued on back to the house, as I am not interested in the two fawns.

Still, it is good to be seeing deer on their feet and moving about during daylight hours. Over the past nine days, I have seen deer nine times moving about during daylight. Of the nine, there were seven different deer including the one buck. I also saw one deer in my side yard eating acorns at 9:30 Friday night, walking around less than 25 yards from where the doe was hanging on the skinning rack. From what I have seen here, I have to believe deer that are not in the same immediate family group care less about the scent or smell of another dead deer and essentially ignore it.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:34 pm

FireCloud wrote:Its nice and warm in my teepee well before dawn but I awake Mija to ready for Hunt 56. I don my loincloth and moccasins noting it will be a cold morning for perching on a limb above a deer trail. So chew some pig fat and other fortifying nutrition then we head out.

It 32 degrees and ice frozen outside. But the wind is light and from the east so I head for rarrlesnake crossing. As we arive Mija hears a noise and pauses. Stop too but too late. A deer we bump snorts and moves off.

I ease out onto the tree limb hanging over the creek. Squatting with my knife in my teeth I settle in to await a Buck to walk underneath. I mentally practice my leap onto its back and fast slitting of its throat. I am ready. I tap out my plan via my trusty Tapatalk and upload it in hopes my unseen brothers will make appeals for my success. Mija takes a nap in my lap.

I really think you should be sure your awake and had your coffee before you start posting!!! Just saying.... Or maybe Tony270 had it right... to much fun last night?? :rotflol: :pop:
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:06 pm

LadyHunter wrote:
FireCloud wrote:Its nice and warm in my teepee well before dawn but I awake Mija to ready for Hunt 56. I don my loincloth and moccasins noting it will be a cold morning for perching on a limb above a deer trail. So chew some pig fat and other fortifying nutrition then we head out.

I really think you should be sure your awake and had your coffee before you start posting!!! Just saying.... Or maybe Tony270 had it right... to much fun last night?? :rotflol: :pop:

Firecloud has painted a picture in my mind that I do Not want there :bash: :stir: :stir:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:26 pm

You can thank Glenn for the inspiration for my morning post. The 107 proof whiskey and Ambien last night had nothing to do with it. :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:41 pm

I feel like crap today. Fighting a cold and sore throat. It wants to be flu. But I would not feel any better sitting in a chair in the house than I do in the deer stand. Plus there are no deer to hunt in my house.

So I am in the food plot stand by 4:25 for Hunt 57. Wind is light from the NW and temp is about 59 degrees. Neighborhood is noisy today however. It feels good to hunt.

I brought my bow and gun today. Will decide which depending on what I see.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Hunt 58 is my first hunt in 8 days. Went to doctor today and got news that my chest is clear. Just infection in my head. Starting meds to help get rid of it.

Temp is 60 degrees with variable 5 MPH winds from NW to NE. Hope I can see something as deer have not been hunted in over a week.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:08 pm

It took a long time but I finally did get to see something this afternoon. The lone doe I have seen several times at the food plot at dark showed up today. She did not arrive during decent shooting light however. I did have my rifle and could see her silouette in my scope but not well enough to attempt a shot. I don't like taking chances with a shot at dark. Too many things can go wrong and I don't want to wound or lose a deer. There is no need in doing that.

When I stood up, I moved a little too much and the doe trotted back into the woodline but since she did not flag or snort, I knew she did not bust me so I just patiently waited for her to return. Mija was sitting on some cut logs under the stand calmly watching the deer. She took advantage of the deer's retreat to move to a position behind the 32 inch oak about 11 yards out at the east edge of the plot. From this position, the deer would not be able to see her until it was well into the plot. Mija does't try to chase or stalk the deer, but she does like to watch them move about while she awaits my decision to shoot one of them. The deer pay very little, if any, attention to her as they are accustomed to seeing house cats in my woods, especially at the food plot.

In about five minutes, I heard the doe crunching leaves as she stepped back into the food plot. It was about 5:30 pm by then and I was not going to shoot her. But since she was in the plot area, I did not want to climb down from my stand and spook her. She entered the plot about 25 yards out and browsed on the winter wheat a little. Slowly she browsed toward the stand getting into the Elbon rye and eventually arriving at the mineral station just 10 yards out from my stand. Mija was sittlng still watching the deer from about 5 yards away.

The doe browsed a few of the Austrian winter peas then moved right under my stand and nibbled some hedge bushes just west of my stand. She headed on toward the west trail and left headed toward the creek, likely for a drink of water. I took that opportunity to very quietly slip out of the stand and get out of dodge.

If this doe ever decides to come out 10 or 15 minutes early, she is in trouble. The only thing that has kept her alive so far is coming out when it is hard to see well enough to shoot her. I missed her once with my bow and have given her free passes three times since then. I actually could have easily shot her this evening with my bow when she got broadside of my stand at 10 yards. Even I could probably have hit her well at that range. However I did not have my bow and it was past legal shooting hours. So I let her walk again.

On the way out along the east trail, I bumped a deer bedded at the spot near the south fence line where Sam and I have been seeing deer bed down. That was probably the young spike as we have seen him several times in that area with a doe and fawn. He is working over some cedar saplings nearby. He snorted twice and I snorted back twice. That confused him. It also greatly confused Mija. He circled a little, snorted some more, and I answered with the same number of snorts. He then doubled back a little and snorted again. I answered again but by this time had reached my yard so I just headed on around the house. He likely watched me move by and thus now knows I can make deer snorts pretty well. He is not a legal shooter so I was just having fun with him.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Hunt 59 was windy and warm this afternoon. I got in the stand about 4:20 this afternoon. The Wind was gusty from the SW but it calmed down a lot around 5 pm. I heard a squirrel chatter which let me know something was in his neck of the woods east of my stand. I could hear a little noise and before long I saw one doe cross the shooting lane 50 yards or so out. I was bow hunting this afternoon and would not even attempt that shot as she never stopped walking. I hoped she would come up the hill and into the food plot but she never did. I didn't see anything else this afternoon except mosquitoes. I hate hunting in late December and having to shoo off those blood sucking beasts!! Where is our COLD weather?

I did knock off one tree rat this afternoon before my hunt. When I came home, Mija had a squirrel pinned down in some tree roots along the creek bank behind the house. She was evaluating whether or not she could kill the squirrel without getting chewed to pieces. The squirrel was evaluating whether it could beat Mija to the big oak tree about 10 yards away. They stared off for several minutes.

I got my .22 and took the stool at the back window, easing it up. I could not see the squirrel which was behind a mound of dirt. At some point the squirrel decided to make a run for it and Mija bolted behind him. He safely made the tree and was greeted by another squirrel in the tree. They chased each other around the trunk a couple of times then one of them ran out on a short limb and squatted. I pulled the trigger and put a bullet through it's rib cage, dropping it to the ground.

Once the squirrel safely made it to the tree, Mija gave up the chase and having seen me raise the window came to see what I was doing. When we went to retrieve the squirrel she got there first, grabbed the squirrel, and carried him off a short distance. Then she growled at me when I reached to take it away. I explained it was my squirrel and took it from her despite her objections. But I did let her play with it for a while when we got it to the house. she hates squirrels.

Hunting "tag team" style with Mija has its advantages for sure. One is she locates the game pretty well since she sees, smells, and hears them extremely well. Two, is that small game like squirrels tend to focus on the cat chasing them rather than me. That gives me a much better chance to get into a good shooting position and drop them. Often squirrels will sit in the tree and scold Mija angrily which is a dead give away of their position. Three is that game animals tend to associate any small noise or movement I might make with the cat on the ground rather than me in a blind or tree stand. Thus, the cat serves as a decoy of sorts fooling the animals into thinking the source of any disturbance they detect is the cat. This really works to my advantage.

Four is that, unlike a dog, Mija does not make verbal noises and is relatively quiet in the woods. Since she races down the trails most of the time and scoots up a tree frequently, the noise she does make helps camoflague any footsteps I make. What the animals here is her four footed gait running at high speed followed by claws scratching up a tree trunk. I really don't know what the game animals think is happening, but whatever it is, that is not the noise a human makes so if I quietly slip down the trail as Mija cavorts, it is less likely I will be detected. If they do hear my footsteps mixed in with Mija's noise, it has to be confusing as the noise of a human and a cat hunting together is NOT something animals hear often enough to figure out easily.

She has been a good help with squirrel hunting so far this year and has not affected any deer hunting that I can see. I have so far seen at least a dozen deer come out into the food plot with her sitting or moving around in the plot somewhere. I've killed one with her watching from under my stand and missed shots at two more. So nothing about the cat being there seems to matter at all. If anything, I think she has helped fool the deer into thinking me rustling a leaf or making some small noise in the stand was made by the cat.

Well, guess I better go clean the tree rat!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Today might be the day . In the stand by 4 pm for Hunt 60. Wind is light and from NW which is good. Things are quiet. Got the rifle today and doe pee out. Now just need some deer!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 pm

At 4:14 pm a yearling button Buck eased into the plot from the west trail. He hid behind a tree facing me and I moved my gun just a little too much while scoping him out so he beat a hasty retreat back where he came. Not a shooter but at least a curious deer.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Things got noisy in the subdivision before dark with kids shooting fireworks. Did not see anything else.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Hunt 61. New Year's Day.

Against my better judgement, I got up at 5 am for a morning hunt. Since I am still sick, I have not been hunting in the mornings because it has been too cold. But it was 66 this morning when I got up so I decided to brave the strong winds forecast for the day. I sat in my Blind #3 on the creek crossing this morning hoping to see the doe that crossed there a week ago or maybe a love starved buck following her. After two hours of absolutely nothing but wind gusting everywhere and the temps dropping, I headed for the food plot stand. At least it has sides to knock some of the wind off. I sat there for an hour or so but finally gave up. The wind was just too strong.

After lunch I headed back out and went to Blind #4 in the northeast corner of my land. Mija did not go with me this morning but she was ready to go this afternoon. She sat at my back watching the area behind while I faced forward hunting the area in front of me. It's a good system but neither of us saw any deer. We saw a few squirrels here and there in the trees but I did not shoot at any of them.

About 4 pm I had endured enough of the infernal cyclone winds for the day and headed back to the food plot. I sat in the stand there until dark and the winds did die down a small amount but they were still too high for any deer to be moving about. After almost 9 hours of hunting I never saw a deer today. The fireworks last night certainly did not help. I'm pretty sure the deer headed for deeper cover well away from the houses and the kids blowing up firecrackers and shooting bottle rockets. As always, some kids have an arsenal of fireworks that will last them all week, and those kids came back out this evening at dusk to start the fireworks again.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Hunt 62. Wednesday pm, Jan. 4.

Today it was warm enough this afternoon and I felt well enough to go to my main stand for a short time before dark. Due to work, I did not get to the stand until about 4:40 pm so my hunt time was less than a hour. However, I did not go hunting Monday despite being off, or yesterday, so the deer have had no pressure from me since Sunday. At this point in the season, my occasional hunting partner, Sam, has shot several deer, including some decent bucks, so he has not been hunting my land any in several weeks. Thus, unless someone tresspasses which does happen (I found foot prints where two tresspassers had been to my food plot recently) the deer are not having to endure much human pressure. Therefore, they are up on their feet and moving about fairly readily during daylight hours.

I was in the stand about 20 minutes when I heard a deer coming from the west entrance. This deer was moving slowly, only taking a step every minute or so. I got a brief glimpse of the deer in a hedge thicket just north of the west entrance. Normally if the deer are coming into the plot from the creek they all use the west entrance or occasionally circle the plot and come in via the north entrance. But this deer was bulldozing its way through the hedge thicket which is very thick terrain. I could not see the deer well because of the thicket being so dense but I did follow its movements in my scope as best I could and just listened to the footsteps to get the direction of its path. The winds were light this evening and things were quiet so I could hear the deer stepping very easily. Mija saw and heard the deer too, so I was able to tell where the deer was by watching where the cat was looking. Mija does not miss anything that moves in or around the food plot, from a mouse to a deer.

Eventually this deer made its way through the hedge thicket and stepped out at the north trail entrance. It was the lone doe I have seen numerous times before. She was 35 yards out at the trail entrance but she did not present a shot I wanted to take. Plus, since she finally had appeared while there was plenty of daylight left, I could see her well in my scope. She is a young, smaller yearling deer and not what I really want to kill.

I continued to watch her as she moved across the north trail into a grove of tall pines. She was slowly browsing on the hedge bushes. Deer absolutely love eating hedge bushes on my land and I have a super abundance of hedge thickets. She was not particularly concerned about checking out the blind but that was likely because she felt safe, now being about 40 yards away and back into hedge bush cover. She moved further into the woods and out of sight so I sat back in hopes that "maybe" the six point buck I have seen in the plot twice before would stroll down her back trail. But that did not happen.

Instead, about 30 minutes later the lone doe came back to the food plot. She was still simply wandering along unhurried, stopping occasionally to browse. She had circled the plot and entered from the east side of the plot using the "cross trail" that bisects the plot. While you cannot see that a deer trail actually exists, for four years I have watched deer over and over use that exact same path when they want to go east and west across the plot. The deer know it is there and of course I do too. That is one of the advantages of having a small acreage tract because you eventually find every scrape, rub, deer trail, bedding location, etc. that the deer use on the land. So when they approach the plot, I typically know the exact route of travel they will likely take.

The lone doe crossed at no more than 20 yards out this time but it was 5:30 pm and dusk had arrived. She never bothered to even glance toward the stand but just nibbled her way across the plot, then entered the woods at the west side and moved on off. I said "bang" two or three times while she walked across the plot but let her have her second free pass of the day. However, I am not too sure if she keeps strolling through the plot right in front of my stand over and over that I will always feel that way on every single day. She may be in for a surprise when the final bow season comes around. She has already had five free passes!

I really should have been in the stand mid afternoon as several deer came down the east trail really stirring up the leaves and leaving lots of tracks as they crossed the small ravine into the food plot. I took some photos and am going to sort out the tracks. The tracks and leaf disturbance was extremely fresh so if I had been in the stand earlier, I likely would have gotten a chance a something worth shooting, possibly a doe or maybe even a doe and with a buck chasing. I have located a fairly decent sized rub near the south entrance to the trail so I know at least one better buck has been traveling the trail.

Unfortunately, my hunting times will be much less during the remaining 27 days of the season. Work, travel, weather, and health issues are going to really cut down on the hunts I can get in from now on. I hate that but I keep hoping maybe I can get another decent deer before the season winds down.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Update!

As soon as I talked about him in my post, I knew it would motivate him. Sam just called me on the phone to give me some interesting info and to say he wanted to hunt my land in the morning. We have a neighbor, Jimmy, who is a retired greenhouse manager. His entire yard, and I mean the entire yard, is planted in all sorts of exotic plants. He also grows lettuce, spinach, cabbages, etc. for a rabbit he keeps. And his yard is not fenced but is directly across a vacant lot between my land and his. Deer from my land and everywhere else feast on Jimmy's plants nearly every night. Jimmy is not a hunter and does not like the deer to be killed even if they devour his plants! Jimmy has seen as many as nine deer in his yard at one time.

As mentioned in my post, I tracked a large number of deer that passed down the east trail today and crossed into my food plot. I could tell they were freshly made tracks today and thought they were made this afternoon. However, Sam called to say Jimmy saw four or five deer leave his property about 6:30 am this morning, cross the vacant lot, and head up my east trail. The deer thus passed through the food plot early this morning.

What was interesting to Sam and to me was the fact that the herd of deer included the tall rack six point I missed twice a couple weeks ago along with a group of does. The six point, according to Jimmy, was leading his harem of does down the trail. This lets us know that the six point is still hanging out in the area and is most likely the buck that made the rub at the entrance to the east trail which I found this past weekend. The rub was fresh enough to let me know the buck making it had not done so very many days before.

OUr theory is the six point is hanging out with the does because at least one or more of them has not come into heat yet. Jimmy did not see any young deer or fawns with the does so the does have run the young ones off, which is a sure sign of the rut being what is keeping this group together right now. Essentially, all the deer in the pack are shooter deer who are primarily moving up and down the east trail and the north trails at night or right after dawn.

Due to being sick and needing to be at work early in the mornings also, I cannot do morning hunts, so Sam is going to set up far enough down the path these deer are taking tomorrow to try to catch them moving through during legal shooting light. We are after the six point primarily as I have a score to settle with him for evading my arrows twice already but we will take a doe also. I'd be happy if Sam puts an arrow through him.

If Sam does not get the six point before then, I will help him hunt early Saturday morning as it should be warm enough by then I can do a morning hunt. I will have finished my medicine by then and hopefully be over this cold and infection. Sam is a good hunter and he may succeed, but for some crazy reason I just feel like I am going to bag this six point yet!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Sometimes it just is not meant to be. Today was one of those days.

My hunting friend, Sam, was in the stand about 5:45 AM this morning and hunted for a couple hours but did not see anything. He was hoping the herd of deer that feasted on Jimmy's garden plants yesterday morning would repeat their pattern this morning and come back through. They didn't.

Sam did say that while he was walking in this morning well before daylight he had this odd intuition feeling that the deer were somewhere close by watching him walk down the trail. I have seen deer do exactly that multiple times when I walked by, so very likely the entire herd was bedded down in a pine thicket west of the trail watching him the whole time. The moon was up until almost 4 am this morning and bright in the clear sky. My thinking is the deer probably did return to Jimmy's buffet table for a middle of the night browse session, then left early when the moon set to go bed down. I would not be surprised at all if the deer were not bedded down looking at Sam when he came into the woods to hunt them. The urban deer here see humans every day and will hold like a covey of quail before they flush as humans walk by.

This afternoon, we both hit the woods together at 4 pm for what was my Hunt 63. It was warm, about 64 degrees, and only a light NW breeze blowing. Sam put his climber up one of my tall pines on the south trail, an area we rarely hunt because it is close to my house. I headed to the main stand at the food plot. We were settled in early and conditions looked favorable for seeing something. However, the natives were restless in the hood and making a lot of noise as they roamed about.

About 15 minutes after we got settled in, I heard humans talking and walking down the east trail toward my stand. Sam sent me a text message saying it was young boys. A moment later two teens appeared wearing sneakers and NBA basketball clothes. On the way down the trail I could hear them talking about checking out my main stand for use as a "clubhouse." That explains the sneaker tracks I found over the weekend when I thought two people, probably teens, had possibly been in my stand or at least up to it.

Needless to say Sam and I were both ticked off by these two tresspassers strolling through my private property and making tons of noise while we were trying to bow hunt. I have posted my property but among the people living in my neighborhood virtually none of them seem to have any reading skills. I ran them off, told them not to return, and forced them to leave immediately. As with nearly all the folks in this neighborhood, including the one that chopped down one of my trees for firewood, they never appologized or even spoke to me in a courteous manner. Instead, Sam mentioned they cut back through my property running full speed with a third cohort now with them. The disrespect for authority and the deliberate, willfull violation of what they were told to do smack me the wrong way. It is for folks like that which I send up a prayer for them to slip, fall, and break something while they are deliberately tresspassing. Interestingly, Sam reported one of them did slip in the mud but I don't know if he damaged anything. I hope he did. It would serve him right. If that sounds harsh and cruel, it is because I grew up being taught that if you "do wrong" then you must face up to the risks, consequences, and punishment that may befall you.

Sam and I felt like our hunt this afternoon was now doomed and that proved to be true. There just was not enough time left for the woods to settle down and the deer to feel comfortable moving about in the same areas where human had just been making so much disturbance.

Those of you who have land to hunt where you never see disrespectful thugs in sneakers and NBA uniforms tromping all through your hunting areas have it made!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 am

Hunt 64 was an uneventful afternoon hunt on a warm day with little wind. The deer just did not move.

Hunt 65 has not been any better so far this calm Saturday morning. Same hunt conditions but still no deer moving. Just 2 chipmonk and a squirrel to entertain me.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:13 am

Hunt 66. Sunday 6:30 am. Mija disappeared after breakfast so I took the long way via the new east entrance to the food plot to avoid using the east trail. I settled in the very wet stand before sunrise to await the fog lifting. Wind is out of the NW at less than 5 MPH. The woods are quiet except for a half million blackbirds in the distance. Will not be able to hear the deer coming today so will be looking carefully.

Sam came in behind me and is up a tall pine with the new shooting lanes about 150 yards south of me. One of us should see something today. I am ready.

uploadfromtaptalk1326028409680.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1326028441959.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:53 am

Two and a half hours in the stand and none of the lazy whitetails will get up and walk around! We need to import some energetic deer. But I still have some orange juice and deer jerky so the party goes on.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Previous

Return to FireCloud's Hunting Journal