• Advertisement

My 2011 Deer Hunts

Re: My 2011 Deer Hunts

Postby FireCloud » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:36 pm

It is fine with me when people want to comment...or OK if they don't.

The deer hear have to listen to rap music from my neighbors and country music from me. They are entertained by fireworks and bottle rockets at night during the holidays. And the see all sorts of dogs and cats roaming the woods. Not to mention vehicles, trains, helicopters and anything else in an urban environment like sirens.

They cannot escape any of these things without moving miles away. They adapt and live right up next to our houses finding little hiding spots to hang in
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Not really going to count this as a hunt as I only have a few minute window in between rain showers. After my aunt's funeral I just needed to take a walk and relax some. Mija is enjoying hunting along the stream at the bottom of the ravine. Rain is coming so I am about to be forced out.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1322347953837.jpg

Plenty of new green growth in the plot due to rain and warm days.

uploadfromtaptalk1322348023385.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I guess I will label this as Hunt 44 since I did get to spend at least an hour in the stand before the rain arrived. Did not see anything.

Hunt 43 was Thanksgiving afternoon, also with no results. I did not get to hunt Friday due to work and preparing to travel for the funeral.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 am

The rain finally stopped and Mija and I headed to the woods eager for Hunt 45. We are both well rested as rainy nights make the best sleeping weather. It about 54 degrees dropping lower to 47 as the front moves through. Gusty winds from the north primarily are in my favor for the food plot stand. No fresh tracks in the plot say the deer bedded all night in the rain and with no moon. This is the kind of day made for good deer hunting. All I need now is a hungry deer.

Mija has decided to curl up on my safety vest in the swivel chair since it is dry and comfy. We settle in and wait.

uploadfromtaptalk1322406459475.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Stayed til last band of rain arrived then came back to prepare a plate of hot biscuits and some squirrel stew. After getting fortified we shall head back out. Sure feels good outside with temp now down to 45.

uploadfromtaptalk1322421918546.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Hunt 45 last Sunday ended uneventfully with no deer seen all day long. Work has taken me out of town a couple days this week so Hunt 46 Wednesday afternoon was all I have been able to manage, and only for about an hour then.

Sam, my hunting buddy, was coming out of the woods from relocating his climber as I went in. He had seen a big doe, a spike, and a young deer bedded down within sight of my front door on his way out of the woods the day before. On his way out of the woods Wednesday, he saw two does near my Blind #3 but did not get a shot. About two minutes after I got in my main stand and Sam headed down the east trail, he called me to say he jumped two more does who were headed my way. Despite keeping a keen eye out, I never saw any of these four deer that were on their feet and moving near my location.

Sam saw 7 deer on my land in a 24 hour period and I have not seen a deer on my land in weeks. Two of the four months of deer season have gone by and I have not killed a deer. This is looking uglier by the day, just like last year when I could not buy a shot at a deer and did not kill a deer all season long. Fourty six hunts is a LOT of time spent in the woods to not take down a deer. I'm a bit disgusted with the whole thing right now. Sam has killed two does and a buck in the week since Thanksgiving. He did generously give me a large rear hind quarter and one backstrap from the big doe he shot. That was in appreciation for me letting him hunt my land whihc was very nice of him to do.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Hunt 47 was an all day hunt with only a break for a couple hours for lunch and to spray paint my homebrew game camera case. It started out with calm winds this morning but quickly picked up to a gusty, breeze 15 mph or so wind all the rest of the day. Temps were cool early but it got very warm as the day went on.

Absolutely nothing moved today. I did not even see a squirrel much less a deer. Mija got more than she bargained for by going along this morning because I did not come back for lunch until 1:30. She was pooped due to the long walk and the climbing up and down ravines that she did. She was not a happy camper today because I took her into territory she was mostly unfamiliar with and she balked about going any farther several times. When we came to one blind she had visited before, she refused to leave that position even though I did not hunt in that blind today. I had to carry her with me for a distance to get her away from the blind. When we started back however she put her nose to the ground and mostly traveled ahead of me following the scent on the trail to find her way back. After getting home, she was so tired she did not even eat or drink from her bowls right away which is normally the first thing she heads for. But after a cat nap, she went back out for the evening portion of the hunt.

Because it was so windy, I ventured to the far north boundary and marked the NW corner pin using my new Recon Hunt app on my smart phone. Very cool to be able to set a waypoint using the phone's GPS. The GPS in this phone is very accurate, at least as good as any Garmin or other GPS. The app only cost $4.95, is sold everywhere and is branded by Cabela's. It is worth every penny. I am still exploring all it can do but I am including a limited access link to the Base Map I have been working on for my land.

Check it out here!

[url] http://cabelas.trimbleoutdoors.com/Trip ... 5d8a4f2778
[/url]

Whenever I close a session on my phone, the software automatically uploads the file to a special website where you can edit and do other things with the files you have in your folder. It allows photos or other media to be store as part of your hunting trip, such as a photo of a particular scene. I have not added any photos to the base map just yet but I do have a lot of them stored in some previous trip files. What I like most about this software is that it allows you to download and store on your phone maps which you can use out in the field EVEN IF THERE IS NOT ANY CELL SERVICE! The GPS will always still work even if you have no cell service so you don't need to be connected to the internet for at least most of the software features to work. That is way cool.

Other than playing with my hunting software on the phone and occasionally playing with the cat things were pretty boring hunting today. I am hoping tomorrow is better.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:45 pm

I left the house at 4:15 pm for Hunt 48 since the horrible Wind finally began to settle down. Conditions are not bad except it is pretty warm. At least one mother doe with one or two fawns came down the trail yesterday and came into the food plot right below my stand. I'm hope they return today while I am actually in the stand. Rain is coming and work will both keep me out of the woods for a few days.

Mija has been lethargic today but is slowly prowling down the ravine below the stand. Sure would be nice to stick a deer with one of these arrows today.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Behind on my journal again so will catch up quick. Hunt 49 was Wednesday afternoon for an hour or so until dark from Blind #3. Wind was in my face but that only meant the deer would come in behind me.

About 5:00 pm I did hear some noise on the north trail which was a deer....right before it busted me. Three snorts later it was gone. Never saw the deer.

Today is very good for Hunt 50. Almost no wind and 49 degrees. Calm and mostly quiet in the woods. Put some doe pee out and watching the food plot. I'm ready to sling an arrow!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Hope you stick one and do not have to use your diving talents to retrieve it
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Jb, today turned out to be a fun afternoon hunt for me. Mija went with me today, as she normally does, and roamed through the woods hunting on her own. She is now about 8 months old and a much bigger cat with more confidence so she just heads out on her own once I get in the stand. All she wants to know is where I am, then she basically hunts within in a 50 yard circle from there, coming back when it gets dusk dark to meet me when I climb down for the trip back to the house. She has figured out I sit in the stand to dark, then leave. But I am not sure she understands why I just sit...and sit...and sit in the stands day after day doing basically nothing.

Today, she got a full understanding of what is going on, as a doe showed up in the food plot. The light was fading fast and Mija had already begun returning to the stand a few minutes earlier to await me climbing down. I could see her out the side window in the new shooting lane about 40 yards away. While she was approaching the stand, I was hearing some light leaf rustling in the edge of the woodline straight north of my stand. Mija was coming in from the east, basically into the light breeze. It was so quiet I could hear the steps Mija made even from 40 yards as well as every step the doe was making in the woods, even though I could not yet see the deer.

Mija arrived first, saw me inside the stand, and crouched down to wait. I have learned to watch the cat as she hears and sees even the smallest movements and noise way before I do. I saw her become alert and I knew she saw something as she began a typical "cat stalk" crouched down and slinking slowly toward whatever she saw. So I peeked around one of the curtains and saw the doe about 20 yards out. The doe was facing me but kept walking a few more steps, then turned broadside.

I began to ease up from my chair trying not to alert the deer. The deer however was concentrating on the cat and not me. Three times the doe lifted her head to stop browsing and look at the cat. Each time I froze in place until she put her head back down. It was already so little light that I could not tell for sure if the doe was actually eating or just "head faking" me and the cat. But I proceeded to stand and draw anyway because there was not going to be much time left to get in a shot before daylight was gone and legal shooting hours ended at 5:26 pm.

I have not seen a deer in several weeks and many hunts so I was anxious to get off a shot at this doe. Probably too anxious. She was a nice sized doe, all alone. She was standing still and broadside at 20 yards. Instinctive shooting a recurve is much more difficult in dim light than shooting a compound. I don't have a lighted sight pin to place on the dim outline of the deer. It's basically just a situation of lining up the shot, estimating the range, and releasing when you think you are set up correctly. I let the arrow fly and listened for a "thunk" as it hit. The doe whirled around, half flagged, and headed in confusion toward the woods at the twang of my bowstring. I never heard the sound of the arrow hitting the target so I knew I had missed.

I checked the time. 5:20 pm. Six minutes left of shooting time so I just cocked another arrow and waited to see if the doe or some other deer might come back out. I have had that happen before. But this time no deer showed up so after 10 mintues, I climbed down, found my arrow which hit low in the dirt but nicely in line with the deer, washed it off, and headed home.

Mija got to see the whole show 15 yards in front of her. She got to hear me shoot the bow, see the arrow hit, watch the deer bolt, and now probably has a good understanding of what I have been doing sitting with a bunch of arrows and a bow in my stand for weeks. She has seen deer before and she absolutely loves deer meat so I think she was really hoping I bagged this doe. However, it was a clean miss.

At least I have now had a chance to fling two arrows in the 50 hunts so far this season. That is a great hunting season for me even if haven't yet managed to kill a deer. There is still a lot of good hunting time left and the weather is getting better for hunting so maybe the third time will be the charm. Today, at least, was a fun hunt! :thumbsup:

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:39 pm

:2TU: :2TU:
Could it be the earlier snort attracted the doe.
Congratulations on a good day but it would have been a lot better if Mija had actually seen you bag a deer.
Hope you get one the next trip
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:33 pm

When the alarm clock rang this chilly Saturday morning, it was very tempting to sleep in. Mija was not too eager to get up well before dawn either. But we did. Now that I have some deer meat, I fried some sliced meat up with my eggs, toast, and coffee. At least I hit the woods well nourished.

Mija had wandered off somewhere by the time I was ready to go, so I went alone today. It was 37 degrees and only a light breeze to start with, but it was variable and blowing in all directions now and then. As the morning got later, the breeze picked up and I left about 10 am. All I saw today was three squirrels. Sure was hoping the doe I missed yesterday might pass back through the food plot but she probably will avoid the area for a few days.

I started a large pot of deer soup when I got back and began processing more of the deer fished out of Lazyghost's pond Wednesday. Separated the neck meat from the bone and chopped some up for my soup. Then I put the neck bone into the oven to roast for soup bones and for making soup stock. It will take several hours cooking at very low heat to get the neck bone ready for making stock. I'll probably make up a big batch of soup stock and freeze it later this evening.

The deer Lazy killed was a stocky buck and it is producing a lot of good meat for the freezer. I hand trim and process all my deer meat so that it is clean, free of slime, blood, silver skin, fat, etc. and ready to cook. Here is the bottom round roast cut from one of the rear hind quarters ready to wrap.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:36 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1323549393050.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Firecloud
I have to applaud you :2TU:
there are not many hunters today that go to the trouble of salvaging neck meat or other lesser quality cuts
It does make a tasty soup/stew stock
:2TU: :2TU:
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:35 pm

I don't like to waste what I get. I save the liver too. Use roasted cut up bones for soup stock. Cat gets cooked shank meat. I kill deer for my food so I believe it is right to be a wise steward of the game.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Back in the stand at 4:30 for the afternoon session. Mija was eager to go and bouncing around as I got ready. She is watching for a deer now. Me too!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Finally snuck away from work to hunt the last hour before dark. Hunt 52 is my first hunt since last Saturday. Wind is very light from the NW. Mostly quiet in the woods and very warm. A great afternoon to see something I hope.

Just had a tall rack 6 point step out into the food plot. I took a shot at 20 yards seated. Arrow hit his legs as the shot was too low.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Now that I am sitting here eating a bowl of Venison Taco Soup (I have the reciepe posted on the forum if you want to make it...it's really good) I can finish the tale of today's hunting adventure.

I had just written the first paragraph of the prior post with Tapatalk but had not even submitted it yet when I heard a slight noise to my forward left about 9 o'clock. I'd only been in the stand a few minutes time. It was a buck responding to the doe pee I routinely put out on scent wicks. He came in with head up looking for the doe that was not there. He was not interested in browsing at all so I knew he would not hang around long.

I studied him a minute to see if I wanted to shoot him. This was not the type buck I like to have in the herd. Personally, I hate to have bucks that only grow tall, narrrow racks and that is exactly what this one had. As far as I am concerned, this was a cull buck that needed to go. I decided the height of his rack was enough to meet the regulations and he had a nice sized body so I made the decision to take a shot. I could see four points and I think he had a couple of small stickers that were more difficult to see, so I judged him to be a six point.

He had made a couple steps forward into the plot and was busy looking around checking for a doe. He was almost exactly 20 yards out, broadside, and offering a clear shot. But I was seated, had to put down my cell phone, take off my glasses, and pick up my bow. That was a lot of movement which caught his attention a couple of times. But he was upwind of me and remained calm, looking away when I froze and stopped moving. Without noise or scent to give him concern, the very small, slow movements made inside the shooting house just did not alarm him. This was most likely a "visting" buck who does not regularly come on my land as I have never seen this one before. However he did come in using a normal east-west deer trail and left using the north trail, so he obviously has been here a couple times before.

AT 20 yards however with the amount of daylight still present, standing up was risky. It likely would have alerted this buck so I decided to take a shot while seated. My glasses are simple reading glasses and I just cannot see correctly through them at a distance so I slipped them off and just held them in my mouth. That was a mistake. As I came to full draw I realized the glasses were blocking my normal anchor point. I did my best to compensate but when you shoot a 50# recurve with no let off, you don't have a lot of time to hold the shot before release. My normal draw process is one smooth pull back, anchor, and release...all in a few seconds. Not being able to anchor correctly, interrupting my draw sequence to try to find a different anchor point, and trying to hold longer before release caused me to break my concentration on my aiming point.

I released anyway, knowing it was not the shot I wanted to make as the arrow left the bow. As they all do, the deer began an immediate lunge at the sound of the bow string which arrives at the deer's ears at least 3X faster than the arrow. I saw the arrow hit his front leg which was moving backwards at the time. The arrow deflected and I could then hear the other legs clanking the arrow around between them. It was almost comical in that as I watched I could not help but wonder if the arrow might at least trip the deer. But it didn't. He made a clean get away up the north trail. A short minute later the dogs in the pen started barking as he passed by. They did not shut up for another 30 minutes unfortunately.

That made three shots at deer for the season, all misses. At least I am getting shot opportunities now like I normally do each year. I had one shot opportunity last Friday and now another one today, five days later. I can live with that. Since it was 4:54 when the deer left the food plot, I merely cocked another arrow from my quiver and sat back to see what else might show up. The beauty of bow hunting is the deer hear only a short, small noise when the bow string thwacks. Nearby deer are never scared away due to any bow shot I make. In fact, often if I miss, they just step back into the woods for a few minutes then return to the food plot to resume browsing, usually within 10 minutes or so.

This time, I did not have to wait long before another deer showed up. About 20 minutes after the buck left the scene, I heard noise to the northeast about 1 o'clock and well out from my stand. It was now dusk with not much light left. But I could see the faint shadowy outline of a doe entering the food plot about 30 yards from my stand. I waited as she moved back and forth until she browsed a little closer. At about 20 yards she stopped and looked at my stand. This appeared to be the same doe that I shot at last Friday. She came from the same place at the same time of day and stopped to browse at about the same spot. Plus she looked like the same deer as before. Obviously, my shooting arrows at her did not drive her away. Again, that is the beauty of bow hunting. The deer just don't associate an arrow flying at them with being hunted.

Since the light was almost gone and she would not turn broadside to me, I just let her feed. She was crunching acorns pretty hard as I could hear her chewing. I decided not to take a shot at her today. It was just getting too dark for an accurate shot and I certainly did not want to attempt a facing shot at her at that distance. Two years ago, I did fatally shoot a doe in the neck at 11 yards while facing me but I had plenty of daylight and the distance was much less. I'm betting this doe will be back another day and perhaps show up a little earier or at least give me a better shot. I don't want to keep missing her so I will just wait for a better opportunity. She eventually caught wind of me, snorted twice, and ran off.

However, the hunting is definitely getting better as the bucks are moving about trying to get the rut started. I'm betting the next two weeks are going to get the rut in high gear. Will be fun to be in the woods then.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Hunt 53 was delayed this afternoon due to rain passing through the area. As soon as it stopped, I headed out but did not get to the stand until about 4:35 pm. But it was a quiet walk into the woods and there was a lot of foggy mist in the air from the rain so I was able to get into my stand without alerting any of the deer to my presence. I put out my doe pee and waited.

The wind was nearly calm, with only a slight NE breeze. Temps were warm at 74 degrees. Everything was quiet but the moist ground made it impossible to hear anything walking. So today was going to have to be all "visual." I brought my binoculars along just for that reason.

I had been in the stand about 15 minutes at the most when the six point buck I shot at yesterday stepped out into the plot. He arrived at almost the same time as yesterday and used the same west side trail. It is amazing how predictable the deer can be at times. I have had game photos of some deer showing up day by day within 5 minutes of the same time each day. And, as mentioned yesterday in my post, flinging arrows at deer never seems to educate them about what is going down. They just dumbly come right on back to the same scene on other days.

I reached for my binoculars to take a better look at the deer. He is a clever buck as he went behind a tree in the middle of the plot and turned to face my tree stand, using the tree as a blocker to prevent me getting a good look at him. So I waited until he stepped out. He moved across the plot to the east side, stopped, turned to face me, raised his head and looked carefully at the stand. I had already stood up when he first came out and had my bow in hand. But I had to freeze so he would not see me move. At 18 yards or so, a buck can see, hear, or smell me easily. I believe they can readily see even the movement of your breathing, the blinking of an eye lid, or any other movement. I have often seen deer blink myself from that distance so it is truly an "eyeball to eyeball" confrontation. It gets the pulse rate going for sure when a buck is stock still checking you out!

Because I have large shooting windows to allow for bow hunting in my stand, the buck can and did actually see me. But I stood as still as I possibly could as the wind was blowing in my favor toward me. Not making any noise or movement annoyed the buck so he began the usual "head fake" routine. He made three or four head fakes bobbing up and down trying to get me to move. I didn't. There was no need to move since I was not going to attempt a facing shot at this buck. I just waited hoping he would turn broadside. But this buck never took a step. Twice he lifted his right front foot and made a light tap on the ground, again trying to draw me out.

Eventually he began to eat a few bites but still never changed his position. All he did was keep looking up to check to see if I had move. I didn't move but I began a slow counting of the time. During one portion of the count, a full two minutes went by with the buck staring straight at me but not moving a muscle. He sure hoped I would move so he could bust me. I still did not move.

But he was getting nervous as I saw him twitch his tail back and forth a couple of times. I knew he was not going to stay much longer. But I held my position. I was correct. He got to suspicious, snorted twice, and started to run off. However he only made about four or five steps backwards and to the right before he stopped again and turned back around. I had expected him to run off into the woods when he snorted but he stayed in the clear in the food plot.

However he was "done" with the idea of remaining in the plot and browsing as he began walking toward the north trail exit from the plot. I took this opportunity to draw my bow and try a shot. He was 30 yards out by now and walking steadily but approximately broadside to me. I've never attempted a shot at a walking deer before however it was "now or never." After my recent times of shooting under the last three deer I decided I was NOT going to shoot under this deer. Due to being 30 yards away, I also needed to aim higher anyway. So I moved my point of aim up to where I thought it should be and released.

The arrow curved slightly right near the end of its flight path but went over the deer. My shot was too high. I heard the ugly sound of the shaft riccocheting off a tree while the buck snorted for all he was worth and crashed through the brush. I could track his path easily as he never quit snorting as he circled back south along the creek bank then down into the creek and up the other bank. He was not a happy camper.

I think he "may" have come to the conclusion that the "thing" standing in the tree stand window was responsible for the "thwack" of a bow string noise and the "stick" flying at him the last two days. He may have been a slow learner yesterday, but I am betting he got a little smarter today.

We shall see, as I have a surprise for Mr. Six Point if he shows up again on any other day anytime soon. Tomorrow is gun season again and he will be safe from any more arrows being flung at him for a while. But if he shows back up in my food plot after this day until gun season closes, he will be points for Team 2 and meat for my freezer. I got a better look at his rack today with the binoculars and it is not too bad. It's a tall rack but it is legal so he is on the "hit list" now.

I waited until dark but the doe that has been coming out did not show today. I am guessing all the loud snorting the buck did at 5:08 pm caused her to change her mind about coming to the food plot. Hopefully she will be back as I did let her feed yesterday without trying a shot at her.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Sounds like your plot is really bringing in some deer!
I think you got that deers number next time! :D
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:23 pm

huntall wrote:Sounds like your plot is really bringing in some deer!
I think you got that deers number next time! :D

I wanted to take him with my bow but I now just want to take him! Come help me hunt them. We need the points on our team. Let me know if you do want to come hunt.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm

I finished up work a little early today, eager to get in the woods after the rains overnight. Today I was able to start Hunt 54 about 3:20 pm as I headed to the woods with Mija. She was very eager to go a little earlier too. Everything was very wet, with the ditches full so I had to take an alternate "rock crossing" path to get to my main stand. It is good to have things wet from one perspective because I can easy into the woods making almost no noise and get to my stand pretty much undetected. My scent is not easily left behind with so much standing water on the trails either.

Mija checked out the food plot, saw there was nothing new, and soon climbed into the tree stand where I was. She settled down behind my back in the chair to take a nap. The temp was about 54 degrees but there was a lot of wind blowing from the NE and E today. I was hoping it would lay down later in the afternoon which it finally did. The cold, damp weather kept the neighborhood silent as no one was outdoors making any noise. Even the dogs were pretty quiet in the pens up north of the food plot. Conditions were favorable and I was hoping the buck or the doe would return.

However, neither showed up today. Instead about 5 pm a different group of deer came into the plot. These deer have been regularly visiting the plot as I have seen their tracks several times recently crossing one of the ditches. Today, a young fawn came into the plot first, coming as the buck had done the last two days from the west entrance. The fawn had his winter coat and was a decent sized young deer for a "springer" but I let him pass. I was hoping mama doe might be coming behind him.

This fawn walked to the center of the plot and began eating. It was only a minute or so before his twin came out from the same spot. She too had her winter coat and they looked just about equal in size. I let her have a free walk too and she also began eating.

Mother doe however was slow to enter the plot. She looked to be a two year old doe, and while not a huge deer, still was "good eating size" as a fisherman might say. She was more cautious, taking a look at my stand. Because I was hoping to put Mr. Six Point on the ground today, I brought my .22 instead of my bow. It's a single shot bolt action, so like Lazyghost, I essentially hunt with only one bullet, although I do have a 5 shot clip in the magazine. But I don't really need more than one bullet when shooting deer in the food plot. There are no shots longer than 35 to 40 yards so the .22 is more than ample to do the job. I've killed several deer from this same stand using it by just putting a single bullet through the top of their skull.

Because the fawns were clearly able to eat on their own, good sized, and already with their winter coats, I decided to go ahead and drop Mother Doe. When she lowered her head to browse and was facing me, I centered the cross hairs and pulled the trigger. She collapsed instantly and never lifted a foot from the ground. In my opinion, this is the most humane way to kill any deer as death is virtually instant and there is no damage to any meat. Plus they drop dead in their tracks.

Mija had been sitting on the cat walk outside the deer stand watching the three deer feed. She followed me out to the doe and checked it over, taking note of the tarsal gland smell. I dutifuly uploaded a post to the forum using Tapatalk (sure like that app!) and then headed to the house to get some things I would need and put away my gun.

This really should have been a bow kill. Had it not been for wanting to get the buck, I would not have taken my gun. Now that I have some more meat for the freezer, have some points on the board, and have broken the ice, I likely will switch back to my bow. It's just too easy shooting deer with a gun and not nearly challenging or sporting enough to suit me.

- 006.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Hunt 55 is a near perfect afternoon. No wind so every sound can be heard. Today I'm hunting with Lazyghost on his lease. I check my 30.06 on his bench rest at 100 yards. The gun shoots better than I do. We walk into the deepest part of his woods at 4 pm. By 4:30 we are settled in.

I'm in a comfy shooting house with 70 yard shooting lane on a ridge point overlooking a hardwood bottom. It a productive location where bucks have been seen. Its bucks only for both of us today. I'm keeping a sharp eye out for a shooter.

uploadfromtaptalk1324162096240.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

PreviousNext

Return to FireCloud's Hunting Journal