• Advertisement

Venison Stew

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Venison Stew

Postby terry08 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 am

Sherrie, made venison stew Sunday, for supper. A traditional brown stew, carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. I was a little worried, but it turned out great.
Well yesterday I decided to make another batch. Her words, you just got to try and out do me lol.
I decided on a Native American Indian stew. This stew can be made using venison, buffalo, horse, dog or goat :D. It's a very hearty stew that will warm you up on cold days.
Remember that stew meat should come from the front shoulder. It's the toughest meat with connective tissue, which keeps it from falling apart during cooking, but yet gets tender during the cooking process. And always try to cut your ingredients the same size, so they all cook evenly and at the same pace.
Recipe ;
1 1/2 pounds venison
1/4 cup canola or corn oil
2 cups beef broth
8 small red potatoes quartered
1 yellow onion chopped
5 scallions green onions diced
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 small rutabaga chopped bite size
3 carrots chopped 1/2 inch thick
3 stalks celery chopped
1 cup wild or baby portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 Tbs dried parsley
4 bay leaves
Coarse salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 cans stewed tomatoes
3 tbs flour
12 Oz. bottle ketchup
Gumbo file to thicken

In cast iron dutch oven or heavy pot. Combine oil, garlic, onions and venison. Add a little salt and pepper and cook until venison is brown & onions translucent. Sprinkle with the flour & stir.

Add all other ingredients except for the Gumbo File, cover and cook on low for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Once done add the Gumbo File to thicken and impart flavor.
Note ;
This stew can be made hot by adding red jalapeño peppers if you like it spicy. I added one tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce just for flavor.

Sherrie, commented that it was good. But, would not say better than hers. Her#1 rule, never fess up ;)

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Venison Stew

Postby terry08 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:14 pm

terry08 wrote:Sherrie, made venison stew Sunday, for supper. A traditional brown stew, carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. I was a little worried, but it turned out great.
Well yesterday I decided to make another batch. Her words, you just got to try and out do me lol.
I decided on a Native American Indian stew. This stew can be made using venison, buffalo, horse, dog or goat :D. It's a very hearty stew that will warm you up on cold days.
Remember that stew meat should come from the front shoulder. It's the toughest meat with connective tissue, which keeps it from falling apart during cooking, but yet gets tender during the cooking process. And always try to cut your ingredients the same size, so they all cook evenly and at the same pace.
Recipe ;
1 1/2 pounds venison
1/4 cup canola or corn oil
2 cups beef broth
8 small red potatoes quartered
1 yellow onion chopped
5 scallions green onions diced
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 small rutabaga chopped bite size
3 carrots chopped 1/2 inch thick
3 stalks celery chopped
1 cup wild or baby portobello mushrooms
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 Tbs dried parsley
4 bay leaves
Coarse salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 cans stewed tomatoes
3 tbs flour
12 Oz. bottle ketchup
Gumbo file to thicken

In cast iron dutch oven or heavy pot. Combine oil, garlic, onions and venison. Add a little salt and pepper and cook until venison is brown & onions translucent. Sprinkle with the flour & stir.

Add all other ingredients except for the Gumbo File, cover and cook on low for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Once done add the Gumbo File to thicken and impart flavor.
Note ;
This stew can be made hot by adding red jalapeño peppers if you like it spicy. I added one tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce just for flavor.

Sherrie, commented that it was good. But, would not say better than hers. Her#1 rule, never fess up ;)

My son just told me. Dad, I didn't want to say anything but, Sherrie's, stew was not hitting on all cylinders. The stew you made last night was the best I have ever had, I ate three bowls. Yeah I know, I ate two bowls for breakfast this morning.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 am

i was watching a hunting show the other day... The "lodge" cook made a venison heart stew.. It looked very good..
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Never ate heart of any kind, I may be missing something. But I just have never felt right eating heart.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Recipe Discussion