• Advertisement

Canning Sweet Pickles!

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Canning Sweet Pickles!

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:00 pm

I had a request for my recipe for Lime Pickles so thought I would just post it for all. These pickles take a little time. But they are crunchy and sweet. Best pickles you can put up hands down. I use fresh pickling spice that I buy once a year at the Farmers Market in Atlanta but regular pickling spice works just as well.

There is a recipe on the bag of pickling lime that gives the exact instructions, but I will stream line them. The Pickling lime can be bought at Walmart and some of the hardware stores that carry canning supplies.

Wash you cucumbers well, and discard any that are yellowing or to large. The large ones have large seeds and do not make good pickles. I always have a few small ones that I pickle whole.
Slice the cucumbers crosswise into thin slices.

Place the cucumbers in a container, large enough to cover them with water, You can not use Aluminum, that is important... no Aluminum! I use large gallon glass jugs, and have used coolers, and stainless steel pots.

For every gallon of water you use you will use 1/2 cup lime. So If I use a gallon jar, I put the cucumbers in, put my 1/2 lime in and then fill it with water. The formula to remember is 1/2 lime to 1 gallon of water.

Let the lime water sit all day or over night, I usually do overnight.

The next step is to rinse the cucumbers well to remove all the lime water from them. Rinse with cool water.

Once rinsed you will cover the cucumbers with clean water and add some ice, not a lot, but enough to make the water cold. Soak them in the ice water for 3 hours.

In a pot large enough for your batch of cucumbers, mix together equal parts of white (must be white) vinegar and sugar. One cup per one cup. Add at least one Tablespoon pickling spice. heat the mixture up until all of the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling, remove from heat. Drain and add the cucumbers.

They will now set overnight or about 5/6 hours, again I do overnight.

Heat the pickles to just under a boil and cook for about 35 minutes. Pack into hot jars and cap. Be sure you clean the tops of your jars before putting the lids on as with anything with sugar they can be sticky and prevent a seal.

Process in a hot water bath for about 15 minutes.

These pickles need to be allowed to sit for a few weeks before opening in order to get the full flavor. We also find they are better if refrigerated and allowed to chill before opening! Much crisper once cold.

Enjoy!
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Re: Canning Sweet Pickles!

Postby terry08 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:55 am

Ladyhunter, never cull the large ones. I grow burpless and let them get huge when they start to yellow, we make mock apple rings. We have to hide them to keep visitors from stealing them mainly grown children. Lol
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Terry I used to make those. I had completely forgotten about them!! I cull the large ones for this recipe. I also used to make pickle sticks and the large ones are good for those to.
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:46 pm

sounds yummy
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 am

They are great for the holidays.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby Spitfire » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:44 am

Does sound good !
Spitfire
Non-Typical

Return to Recipe Discussion