• Advertisement

Got to stop

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Got to stop

Postby terry08 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:23 pm

All this eating. Friday, I fixed fried cabbage, with ground venison sausage. Sautéed onions, red pepper flakes & fried cabbage. I ate the whole pot Friday & Saturday.
Today I am making venison spaghetti. I like my sauce to simmer for at least six hours so all the spices can come together. If I do it on the stove then Sherrie, wants to eat as soon as it is warm. So I sauté everything in the skillet, then into the crock pot for six hours and I won't do the pasta until that time is up. Now she is forced to wait.
Although I did make her a blt with egg on flat bread to hold her over till supper. Now it's nap time and then we eat again.

Not bragging, but I pride myself on my spaghetti sauce. Today I added a couple of ingredients I have never used. I was however out of tomato paste and really didn't worry about it. Had I cooked it on the stove top,it would have been no problem. But in the crock pot,the extra moisture caused by the steam made the sauce a little thin, and I despise runny sauce. It appeared thick in the pot, but after spooning over the noodles, some liquid appeared on the plate. I wasn't a happy camper, until Sherrie, said it was one of the best sauces I had ever made, at that remark I had to try it.
The venison, peppers, onions and tomatoes, all were thick on the noodles and the small amount of juice in the plate was perfect for sopping the garlic french bread. I must admit, the addition of red pepper flakes for a little heat, the red bell pepper for a little sweet, and the six bay leaves added a perfect flavor to a sauce, that I thought could not be improved on. If I were judging this sauce,it would receive ten out of ten stars. As Sherrie, stated the most avid hater of venison would love this sauce and probably beg for the recipe. " Happy Happy Happy "
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Got to stop

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:58 am

I hear ya..

I told the wife this Sat eve, that if we don't slow down on the deer steak, we will be out by April :(
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:18 am

Know it was good...when my wife makes it she makes about 5 gal at the time so we can freeze it for later on, she let's it simmer on the cook top most of the day.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:23 am

gtk, what cut do you use for steak and how do you prepare & cook them?
My son cuts them from the hind quarter, salt and pepper then sears in hot cast iron skillet three minutes per side. He said you have to eat right then or it gets tough. I have tried it a couple of times in the past but never been impressed. I know there is a way to do it because folks like you are always talking about them.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:15 am

looks good terry
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:48 pm

terry08 wrote:gtk, what cut do you use for steak and how do you prepare & cook them?

backstrap & Hindquarter.. Can't really tell the two pieces apart if cooked right. I cook them either on the grill, or sear them in a cast iron skillet & finish it in the oven..

I also kept a bunch of roasts whole this year, and have cooked a couple in the crock-pot.. Very good.. Plus, if I run out of steak I can cut these roasts into steaks..

In regards to cooking, the best thing I have bought is a meat thermometer! When I'm cooking deer,either on the grill or skillet, I cook it until the internal temp reaches close to 120, and pull it off immediately. That gives me a med-rare piece of meat.. The higher the temp, the tougher the it gets !!
gtk
Admin

Postby leepurvis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Hey Terry, on your sauce being a little liquid-y, most of the Italian cooks I've seen on TV add some pasta water back to their sauce to thin it some so it must be pretty good that way. The way you describe yours sounds delicious!
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Yes Lee, I have ate at some very fine Italian restaurants and I mean where the whole family works. Not chains such as Olive Garden. There sauce is always a little thin, but delicious. I was surprised at this one but knew I had not added tomato paste and that the crock pot itself will cause more liquid. Knowing that I could have removed the lid for the last two hours and let it reduce down some. But as stated, just by adding a few ingredients to an already tried & true sauce. And then it coming out a little thin, it was fabulous plus with ground venison, no fat or grease to impair the true flavors of the herbs and spices.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 pm

gtk wrote:
terry08 wrote:gtk, what cut do you use for steak and how do you prepare & cook them?

backstrap & Hindquarter.. Can't really tell the two pieces apart if cooked right. I cook them either on the grill, or sear them in a cast iron skillet & finish it in the oven..

I also kept a bunch of roasts whole this year, and have cooked a couple in the crock-pot.. Very good.. Plus, if I run out of steak I can cut these roasts into steaks..

In regards to cooking, the best thing I have bought is a meat thermometer! When I'm cooking deer,either on the grill or skillet, I cook it until the internal temp reaches close to 120, and pull it off immediately. That gives me a med-rare piece of meat.. The higher the temp, the tougher the it gets !!

Thanks Greg, I do use the back strap for grilled filets, and have used the hind quarter. In fact I cut several off the quarters this season about 1 1/2 inch thick for steaks. Have done the skillet sear & then in the oven, as you stated. Guess when it comes to steak, I am a filet mignon person & that means only choice or prime beef. There is just so much more I do with venison, that satisfies me more than steaks. But like you my son loves them & like you he is quickly running out. He called last night to say he was coming to get another hind quarter of his from the freezer for more steak. Lol
Thanks for the information.....
gtk wrote:

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Recipe Discussion