• Advertisement

Venison Pastrami

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Venison Pastrami

Postby terry08 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:49 pm

With smoked onions and saurkraut, served on marble rye bread with thousand island dressing.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Venison Pastrami

Postby flipper » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Now that's a Reuben!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:56 pm

You have my mouth watering.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:44 am

I have made the pastrami in the oven many times using back strap. It is always gone in thirty minutes or so. Got the smoked recipe off another site, which is identical to mine only smoked.
I must say that we were not fond of the flavor of the smoke. In fact, I was told by Judge Sherrie, that I ruined it. Even my son wasn't impressed and he will eat anything.
Well I must say that the next morning, I took the plate out of the fridge planning to toss it. I removed the foil and took another taste, I couldn't believe it. After being in the fridge all night it had mellowed and the taste was fantastic. Probably the best ever. Sherrie, said your not trying to eat that are you. I gave her a slice and said you've got to try it. She was reluctant, but after tasting she asked me to get her enough for a sandwich, which I did.
Well we found the problem. The recipe calls for sautéing the onions in a skillet, remove to a bowl, combine the saurkraut and place in the smoker. I left it in five minutes.
Sherrie, got it out of the fridge, placed enough in a small bowl to warm in the microwave . Then made her sandwich, after a couple ugly words, it was in the trash. The kruat and onions, had absorbed so much smoke, it was like eating a piece of charcoal.
I will be doing a new batch soon, but will use the back strap, as usual. And will not be putting the kruat and onions, in the smoker. The hindquarter roast was ok just a little bit tough.
When serving others, I want perfection, and the back strap has never failed.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 am

Have you posted this recipe before? If not can you post it, I'd love to try it?
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 am

triple_duece wrote:Have you posted this recipe before? If not can you post it, I'd love to try it?

Don't smoke the kruat and onions.
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/201 ... i.html?m=1

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Recipe Discussion