• Advertisement

Butcher, Process, & Cook

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Butcher, Process, & Cook

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:57 am

Wasn't sure were to post it. Decided this was the best place.
I will start out by saying that I was happy, happy, happy. With the way the Remington 130 grain core lok preformed. The buck hit the ground and never moved. Blood was everywhere and the exit hole was the size of a half dollar. After skinning I saw the real damage, at the exit the ribs had a 10 inch blood shot circle. Can't imagine what the 150 grain would look like.
I wanted to put it on his front shoulder as Chad, and others stated, but I just couldn't make myself do it. And so glad that I didn't, those shoulders would have been destroyed.
I for one consider the front shoulder meat the Holy Grail, right along with the back strap. When deboned and treated properly, it is fantastic table fare. I see so many carcasses discarded with the shoulders attached that it makes me sick. There is so much meat wasted by many who are either to lazy to process or who just don't know how to. I leave no meat untouched on a deer. I use everything but the rooter and the tooter. With the proper knifes and a little knowledge processing your deer is not a chore as some consider it to be.
I take pride in just looking at the finished results and knowing that I did it myself.
I would take all the front shoulders a person would give me. There is so much you can do with it. And no, never grind.
I cut it into beautiful stew meat, I cut it into big chunks for some of the best grilled shish kabobs you could eat and they make a fantastic roast.
The shoulder in the picture below. Took me 26.9 minutes to debone and cut up. Yielding 5 1/2 lb of beautiful meat, like the back strap, it has no tendons to deal with. And is so succulent when prepared right. So next time you think about hitting those shoulders, or discarding them. Just consider in my case that would have been a total waste of 11 lbs of wonderful meat.
I used 2 lbs to make my favorite Native American Venison Stew.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Butcher, Process, & Cook

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:14 am

So delicious.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:50 am

looks good !

we are a "steak" and "burger" family, with the occasional roast in the crockpot. Since i have so much elk in the freezer, i took the last deer I killed and cut into steaks only, and the rest of the meat went to jerky. The front shoulders do contain a lot of meat, as well as the neck roasts.
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:59 am

Greg, some of the finest tamales I have ever eaten were made with elk.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:42 am

There's a high fence place near me that sells cow elk for 500$ and if I didn't have a place to kill all the deer I want I would buy one.
sidog
Non-Typical

Return to Recipe Discussion