• Advertisement

Jerky

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Jerky

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 am

5 lbs. in the oven. Whole muscle from hindquarter. Waiting on the 2 lbs. of finished jerky.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Jerky

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:15 am

Final weight,

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm

This stuff won't make it through the night.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:08 pm

I think that is a good turn out for jerky
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm

The picture ain't good. Some was a little to dry, so I bagged it warm to let it rehydrate some. Came out perfect.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Nice Terry. I bought the lem 10 tray dehydrator. Can set time and temp. I find 5.5hrs at 150 is perfect for what I've made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 am

chadbragg wrote:Nice Terry. I bought the lem 10 tray dehydrator. Can set time and temp. I find 5.5hrs at 150 is perfect for what I've made.

I had two dehydrator's, one was an eight tray. I have never cared for them. I prefer hanging in the oven at 150. Did this batch for five hours. Didn't use the jerky slicer so they were different thickness, the thinner pieces, we're a little dry. If I made a lot of it. I would invest in a vacuum jerky tumbler for marinating. A little pricey, but makes all the difference in taste and texture.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 am

terry08 wrote:
chadbragg wrote:Nice Terry. I bought the lem 10 tray dehydrator. Can set time and temp. I find 5.5hrs at 150 is perfect for what I've made.

I had two dehydrator's, one was an eight tray. I have never cared for them. I prefer hanging in the oven at 150. Did this batch for five hours. Didn't use the jerky slicer so they were different thickness, the thinner pieces, we're a little dry. If I made a lot of it. I would invest in a vacuum jerky tumbler for marinating. A little pricey, but makes all the difference in taste and texture.

I had 2 of those with the plastic trays and gave them away when I bought the commercial stainless lem. There is no comparison, my only complaint is I have to put a towel under it to catch the moisture. Makes fast work out of 10-12lb!

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 am

chadbragg wrote:
terry08 wrote:

I had 2 of those with the plastic trays and gave them away when I bought the commercial stainless lem. There is no comparison, my only complaint is I have to put a towel under it to catch the moisture. Makes fast work out of 10-12lb!

I really like it done in the smoker. Gives it a very appealing reddish color. Going to do another batch using the Dr. Pepper and jalapeño with spicy ranch dressing powder. This is one of my favorite marinades.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 am

terry08 wrote:
chadbragg wrote:
terry08 wrote:

I really like it done in the smoker. Gives it a very appealing reddish color. Going to do another batch using the Dr. Pepper and jalapeño with spicy ranch dressing powder. This is one of my favorite marinades.

I had actually thought about trying to finish mine in the smoke house. But I figured it would be easy to screw up. And at that point there's to much labor invested to ruin.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 am

terry08 wrote:
chadbragg wrote:
terry08 wrote:

I wanna give that a try. Do you use fresh jalapenos?

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:50 am

Yes, I will post the link for you.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:56 am

https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

He doesn't use the spicy ranch, but I found it to really give his recipe an added kick. I love it. By the way I omit the garlic and onion powder if using the ranch.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Another five pounds, Dr. Pepper jalapeño and ranch. Going in the smoker with this batch. All made from front shoulder meat. I did hammer it for tenderness.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 pm

The Dr. Pepper jalapeño and ranch, came out wonderful on the smoker. 170 degrees for 4 hours. The tenderized front shoulder was perfect.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Recipe Discussion