Re: Team #3

Postby jalbrsn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:33 pm

One of the 3 I have on trailcam Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jalbrsn
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 am

Congratulations! That is definitely a good one.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Jalbrsn, congratulations on getting another one! If your team mates would give you some help we would be rolling. I will be getting after them soon. Having to work stinks.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:28 am

Congratulations

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby Kev1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

Congrats on the great deer! Don’t give up on me just yet. The first part of the season wasn’t too great and the dog hunters take over the public land I hunt, hopefully the weather and work will cooperate a little and I can help y’all out a lil’.

Kev1
button buck

Postby bigsteve » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Man I can't get a break had another hammer at 100 yds broad side shot he never moved shot again same reaction he turned and walked off my gun was shooting 2'.high crosshairs broke got a new Leuopold on it zeroed in maybe next time ?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby jalbrsn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks I’ve been on vacation this week and been at it hard but for some reason it’s slowed down

jalbrsn
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Well I killed the smallest buck in 20 years this morning a 4 pt he was destroying our peach trees we just set out he has killed about a $100 worth of young trees but he will not kill another one know he was the culprit got him on camera

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Congratulations!

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:31 pm

And my new scope is dead on he was about 150 yds maybe I'll get a chance at another good one

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby jalbrsn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Congrats

jalbrsn
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm

I blew it! It’s been a long time since I missed, crippled , or failed to find a deer, but I did it Friday evening.

I haven’t gotten to hunt much this year and finally got in the woods again Friday afternoon. I had been watching a doe and yearling since about 4:45 and was ready to get down. With just a couple of minutes of legal time left, he stepped out into the plot. Not a monster, but a good 8 point.

A little background before I go any further. This has been my go to spot for several years, but this year they clear cut 150 acres on us and the gorgeous hardwood bottoms on either side of this plot are gone. I thought I would be able to see deer moving through it, but it turns out it is all chest high weeds and knee deep hedge along with all of the stumps logs and tops. You can’t even see your feet walking, or should I say falling through it.

Now back to the story. Light and time were almost gone. Knowing I didn’t want him to leave the plot, I decided to shoot him in the shoulder. Looking back, that was my mistake. Shot through the shoulders with a 300 WSM, deer don’t run. Playing it back in my mind I realize he had turned quartering away from me facing the doe and yearling.

I looked for blood, but didn’t see any. Knowing the rain was coming, I backed out to go get my son’s bloodhound. He is young, his first year trailing and works them slow, but he has found 3 this year already.

Just as we got back the rain started. We turned him loose and he went in right where the deer went and went straight down the hill where I had heard the deer go. The rain got a lot harder. After a few minutes of rain he didn’t act like he could smell anything anymore, but kept working hard.

After 1 1/2 hours we gave up for the night. After raining all day yesterday we went back in there this morning hoping to find him. My son jumped him out of his bed about 75 yards from where I last heard him. He said his right front leg was busted and he wasn’t moving fast, but he felt like he will survive. Of course, neither of us carried a gun, or he would have finished him off.

Hopefully he will be ok and give me, or someone else another chance later in the year. Now I wish I had missed.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:42 pm

glenn wrote:I blew it! It’s been a long time since I missed, crippled , or failed to find a deer, but I did it Friday evening.

I haven’t gotten to hunt much this year and finally got in the woods again Friday afternoon. I had been watching a doe and yearling since about 4:45 and was ready to get down. With just a couple of minutes of legal time left, he stepped out into the plot. Not a monster, but a good 8 point.

A little background before I go any further. This has been my go to spot for several years, but this year they clear cut 150 acres on us and the gorgeous hardwood bottoms on either side of this plot are gone. I thought I would be able to see deer moving through it, but it turns out it is all chest high weeds and knee deep hedge along with all of the stumps logs and tops. You can’t even see your feet walking, or should I say falling through it.

Now back to the story. Light and time were almost gone. Knowing I didn’t want him to leave the plot, I decided to shoot him in the shoulder. Looking back, that was my mistake. Shot through the shoulders with a 300 WSM, deer don’t run. Playing it back in my mind I realize he had turned quartering away from me facing the doe and yearling.

I looked for blood, but didn’t see any. Knowing the rain was coming, I backed out to go get my son’s bloodhound. He is young, his first year trailing and works them slow, but he has found 3 this year already.

Just as we got back the rain started. We turned him loose and he went in right where the deer went and went straight down the hill where I had heard the deer go. The rain got a lot harder. After a few minutes of rain he didn’t act like he could smell anything anymore, but kept working hard.

After 1 1/2 hours we gave up for the night. After raining all day yesterday we went back in there this morning hoping to find him. My son jumped him out of his bed about 75 yards from where I last heard him. He said his right front leg was busted and he wasn’t moving fast, but he felt like he will survive. Of course, neither of us carried a gun, or he would have finished him off.

Hopefully he will be ok and give me, or someone else another chance later in the year. Now I wish I had missed.

Maybe he will be fine!

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:57 pm

glenn wrote:I blew it! It’s been a long time since I missed, crippled , or failed to find a deer, but I did it Friday evening.

Stick with him! He may give u another chance!

missed mallards
4 Point

Postby bigsteve » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Well I can relate to adversity 3 times this year I have came up short I'm sure you will come back strong good luck

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby glenn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 am

I think he will be good. There was very little blood in the bed he got up from. I think the bullet went through his shoulder and came out in front of the opposite one. I will stay out of that spot for a couple of weeks, but I won’t give up. He is only one of several I am after. Thanks for the encouragement.

Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Previous

Return to Deer Contest 2018-2019