• Advertisement

Deer won't touch the corn

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:23 pm

I've had a feeder out for two weeks now, behind my house. Deer tracks going by 20 yards either side of the feeder in the field, and nothing is touching it..

Reckon some deer just don't like corn? Scared of the feeder ? What gives!
gtk
Admin

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Acorns on the ground by me caused the deer to lay off my corn lately.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Deer won't touch the corn

Postby mshunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 pm

I have known Deer to avoid the Walmart Apple flavored Corn but not regular yellow acorns...Ed
Thank God for each and every opportunity that You have to take a kid hunting and set an example.
mshunter
Charter Member

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Ok finally someone has the problem I do... I have a gravity feeder and have NEVER had a deer eat from it.. I can put 50 lbs on the ground and its gone within 24 hours but put 200 in the feeder and only thing that will touch it are coons. I tried for several months and even though deer got used to it the just simply wont eat from it. They are stupid I guess
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 am

I can't figure it out... Just don't think the deer are hungry enough to go out of their way to eat corn. Too much other stuff on the ground right now.

I figure deer are after the stuff that fattens them up right now.. (acorns/browse).. Supposedly high energy foods like corn really comes into play when it gets cold..
gtk
Admin

Postby quigleysharps4570 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 am

From what I've been reading lately they'll really tear it up with vanilla extract sprayed on it.
quigleysharps4570
Boone&Crockett

Postby brewer03 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 am

while acorns are fresh and falling I believe deer will walk through corn to get to the acorns
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:13 pm

brewer03 wrote:while acorns are fresh and falling I believe deer will walk through corn to get to the acorns

I agree with that about the acorns.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:52 pm

I have no problem with them eating it. In fact I quit feeding, as they are eating a 40lb. bag each night and I can;t afford it. My land is bordered on each side by corn fields. Go figure....
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I believe deer are much like humans in that they have preferences for certain foods. If certain foods in their environment are not available but for a short time period each year and they love those foods (acorns, persimmons, etc.) then logically they are going to bypass other foods they also like (corns, grass, etc.) to gorge on the "treats" that they cannot always get.

And I also believe deer are like humans in that all deer don't share the same eating habits. For example, my cat and my ex wife are not picky eaters. They are both like garbage disposals...they gobble up anything you throw at them. Many deer are also not finiky eaters and will eat everything they encounter that is edible.

But some humans, and I think some deer, have a little greater selectivity when it comes to what they eat and are just "choosy" at times. For example, I like corn and eagerly eat it in several ways. But I will NOT ever eat cut or "cream style" corn.

I know for a fact some deer are "corn junkies" who cannot get enough of the stuff and show up several times per day to eat at a feeder. I've got photos of the same deer coming back over and over. Other deer will walk right by the feeder full of corn and not touch it.

I don't think you can explain deer behavior any easier than you can explain human behavior. Some things are just the result of how a given deer acts.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby BIGROB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:13 am

The feeder is probably not any good. Just bring it to me, and I will dispose of it for you...LOL.
BIGROB
4 Point

Postby LazyGhost » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm

As soon as the season was over last year, i went and bought a tripod feeder and put it at a spot that just a few weeks before, i was seeing a ton of deer. One time i had over twenty in view. Anyhoot, as soon as i introduced the tripod feeder, they disappeared for weeks. And i mean they disappeared with No camera pics at all.
Last edited by LazyGhost on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 pm

BIGROB wrote:The feeder is probably not any good. Just bring it to me, and I will dispose of it for you...LOL.

Sure thing rob.. i'll bring it right over :)
gtk
Admin

Return to Wildlife Habitat