• Advertisement

Rice Bran

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Rice Bran

Postby huntall » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Yall ever tried it?
How did it work?
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Rice Bran

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Hit or miss, I know the coons love it!!
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Re: Rice Bran

Postby ree_countrygirl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:03 pm

up here they like it from what i hear
I'd rather have money in my pocket than change shoved down my throat!!! ~thought it was appropriate!
ree_countrygirl
10 Point

Rice Bran

Postby buckcrazy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Ive never gotten a picture of a coon eating rice bran in the 15 years I've been using it. Not saying they don't eat it but very minimal I would imagine.
Last edited by buckcrazy on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I have watched deer eat rice bran. They will eat it just fine!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:12 am

couple of guys at our camp swear by it
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 am

they tear it up and it last way longer than corn..
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:30 pm

i tried it deer didn't hit it like they do corn but it does last longer
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby EddyBo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 pm

There is a mill near me that mixes rice bran a little corn and molasses and minerals. Deer eat the heck out of this mix it is about 80% rice bran.
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:52 pm

EddyBo wrote:There is a mill near me that mixes rice bran a little corn and molasses and minerals. Deer eat the heck out of this mix it is about 80% rice bran.

Had a friend give me a few bags two years ago to test with my Deer Chow,It really worked for me.. The deer were slow to turn on with the Deer Chow plain but, when I added the mix the race was on !! Would not mind trying some more.. Do you have a name for it or even better a dealer here in the north part of the state ??
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby EddyBo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:43 pm

It is a local farmer Pat Ard who does the mix, he does not have any distributors.
I know just enough to be dangerous.

EddyBo
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby dustygoodson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:47 pm

EddyBo i bet the deer does love that mix
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Can't help with a dealer outside Jackson for rice bran but Deviney Equipment at their three locations here sells it for $8.95 per 50# bag of unflavored rice bran. Or for the same price you can buy a 25# pound bag of flavored rice bran. They have peanut butter, apple, cinnamon, and other flavors.

You get 25% more pounds than in a 40# bag of corn with the unflavored bran and it costs $2 per bag less than corn. Plus it does last longer and the deer eat it just fine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Rice Bran

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Johnson milling had it for 7.50 for 50# unflavored but now it's 8.75 no tax.
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby sardisdeerhunter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:01 am

Thanks yall !! Need to find some around here ..
sardisdeerhunter
8 Point

Postby jv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Passed a truck thursday just north of Jackson on 55 that had a four wheeler in the back of the truck and about 100 dags of rice brand on a trailer.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Rice Bran

Postby naburton » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Rice brand is 100% illegal to feed to deer 100% of the year.... I love how some people think its legal. I had to tell my own father.

Hunting over bait is illegal.... 100% of the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Feed protein pellet sept 1 to feb 28

Feed other food including corn from end of turkey season till aug 31.

All food / bait / pellets have to be off the ground.... Except when thrown from a spin feeder or under the camera permit.
naburton
6 Point

Postby reesguide » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Wrong on part of that, can feed corn from dec 1 till feb28th if I am not mistaken, curtilage of your home or business can feed whatever year round.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I was merely noting that when You bait for hogs with rice bran or corn, which are both legal day or night 365 days a year that deer will eat up your hog bait. I just forgot to mention the hogs!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Rice Bran

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I fatten my coons with it...
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby terry08 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Alright, if I am baiting for hogs. Is it illegal for deer to eat it ?
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Send that one in for the MDWFP guys to answer!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 pm

If you're baiting for hogs and the deer start eating your rice bran, can you shoot them as a pest?
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:38 pm

OK, let me dig into this topic a little since some of you are actually taking my post as a serious suggestion. It was meant more for a joke than to be taken seriously.

Wild hog hunting rules are fairly complex. You absolutely MUST read them completely and you MUST read every single word in order to not go afoul of the rules. Here is a SUMMARY of what you can and cannot do but it by no means a complete description of the rules.

A) You CAN, on private lands:

1) Hunt, take, kill, chase, or pursue wild hogs day or night throughout the year with no firearm restriction.

2) Wild hogs may be hunted with the aid of feed or bait (but with some EXCEPTIONS!)

B) What are the exceptions? They are:

1) Grains and grain products. If you use any type of grain or grain products, whether whole grains, chopped, or ground up grains, the grains must be placed inside a legally designed live hog trap for the purpose of trapping hogs ONLY!

2) Any other type of food or food products may be used year round as a feed or bait to hunt hogs ONLY! (As with #1 immediately above, this would mean you cannot hunt or kill ANY other animal that might show up at your hog bait.) All other types of food or food products used as hog bait can be distributed any way you like...but you just cannot do that with grains or grain products.

So, realistically you can never hunt anything legally in Mississippi over any form of grain or grain product...PERIOD. The only thing you can legally do with grain or grain products is to TRAP hogs...not hunt them and to feed corn only (not any other type of grain or grain product) to deer during six selected months of the year.

My position has always been I am 100% against every single word of the game laws as they are currently written pertaining to any restrictions on feeding or baiting of animals. I have pointed out the complete hipocracy of the feeding rules and that the intent of the legisature to ALLOW feeding of animals has been subverted by the people who write the game laws. I have also pointed out the plain fact that the laws are habitually violated in massive numbers by thousands of hunters and others who refuse to obey the game agency's rules on feeding and baiting. Wholesale civil disobedience is a good sign the public does NOT want the rules! Government, of course, does not seem to listen to the people very often. I have also noted that civil disobedience when it becomes overwhelming can indeed make the game officials strike offensive, publically hated rules. The "snagging" rule for fishing that existed for decades is one such rule that the public routinely broke and which has now been repealed.

That said, I will go on record here that my post was intended to be humorous only and I was not condoning violating the game laws by feeding rice bran to anything. However, I do note that our country was founded by a bunch of "civil disobedient" subjects of the King of England who dumped tea belonging to their own government into the harbor and REFUSED to obey their government's rules. In fact, they declared a revolution against the government and summarily then broke all its rules. Civil disobedience therefore is not a tool that is necessarily bad. It has accomplished remarkable things in our country at many different times.

Anyway, if you want to use rice bran as a hog bait inside a live trap you can do so according to the rules. But every other use of rice bran for a wildlife feed is illegal at all times. Perform any civil disobedience you decide to do at your own risk!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Re: Rice Bran

Postby reesguide » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:56 pm

FireCloud wrote:I was merely noting that when You bait for hogs with rice bran or corn, which are both legal day or night 365 days a year that deer will eat up your hog bait. I just forgot to mention the hogs!

Wrong on part of that, corn ain't legal for hogs anytime other when its fed under the guide lines of supplement feeding deer.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Next

Return to Wildlife Habitat