• Advertisement

Thinking of planting some trees

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Postby buckcrazy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:00 pm

I want to plant some fruit trees and have no idea where to start. I want to plant them around my 3 acre plot. The soil is well drained where I want to plant them. What trees would you go with , how many and what time of year would you plant them?
I was thinking of persimmon and crabapple but not sure. I've walked the property (160 acres) and have only found 2 crabapple trees. I haven't fertilized them but plan to this spring.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Thinking of planting some trees

Postby huntall » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Pears are a top choice for fruit for deer! They are very productive in only a few years they start to produce fruit!
Kieffer pear is one of the latest producing trees in the year, which makes them a favorite to plant for wildlife. I like
to plant about 3 types of pear trees to have fruit coming in at different times. Some types need a different type of pear tree to pollinate with.Some pear trees don't need a pollinator.
Crab apples does good unless you have a lot of ceder trees
in your area. If you have a lot of ceder trees crab apples will get a disease from the ceders(some thing to do with ceder rust)
Fuji Japanese persimmon is the preferred persimmon to plant by most. They grow a huge persimmon in a shorter time than others. These do not need a pollinator(self pollination)

I planter about 25 fruit trees last year and many more in years before that. If the ground was moist enough you can plant trees from a pot from now till April. I prefer Nov, because the roots have time to get set in growth before the next summers drought sets in that could kill trees that are planted too late in the spring.

Any more questions I would be glade to help!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:54 pm

I forgot to mention that I always put up a wire ring 5 ft tall around the young fruit trees so the deer don't eat the tops out of them and keep the bucks from rubbing on the young trees. It is usually best to not fertilize the first year to let the tree get set in and then start fertilizing after that.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:51 pm

So if I were to get some trees now I could plant them?
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:06 pm

I would wait till more moisture gets in the ground. It is still to dry.
As soon as the ground gets more moisture you can plant.
Might be a few more weeks. With the way it has been going who knows when we will get much rain?

I have a bunch of potted oak trees that im waiting till At least Thanksgiveing to plant unless we get a few good rains.
If you dont like the idea of planting them this time of year January or first week of Feb would be my next choice.
I just prefer a fall planting so the next years drought dont effect them as much.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Where do you get your trees from?
Last edited by buckcrazy on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks huntall, I've seen your pics you've posted before and that's kinda what I have in mind. You were the first person I thought of when I posted this.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby jv » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Sounds like huntall has some good advice and knows his fruit trees.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:17 pm

This time of year you may have to go to a large nursery type of place to get fruit trees, because Lowes and home depot prolly dont have many now. I use a tree nursery that grows mainly oak trees, but they have lots of 6ft tall fruit trees year round also. Their name is Tree Source. They are not in your area.(Brandon area)

Lows , Home depot, and Walmart will have lots of trees in Jan.

Also Yellowlab has some good pictures on some persimmon trees. Last year was my first year to plant persimmon.
Good luck!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Just found these at home depot. They approximately 6 feet tall and cost $20 bucks. Does that seem right ? I bought all they had at that home depot and I have two more to check out.
Do you think they will be alright until this weekend in the pots or should I plant them sooner? I know you said to wait a couple more weeks before planting but I've been calling around and have found nobody has them so I figured I'd get them before these were gone too.
How long before a tree this size would bear fruit?

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:52 pm

The price is about right for that size.
The trees will be fine however long you keep them in the pots
as long as you water them about every 4 days.

You can still wait a few weeks and they are not going to hurt being in the pot!

What kind did you choose?
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:11 pm

I got the Kieffer Pears, they also had some Anna's apple but didn't know how they would do as I has someone tell me apples don't grow down in south Mississippi.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:17 pm

When I put them in the ground I am planning on putting some weed guard fabric down in a 3ft circle around the base and also putting some mulch down too. Does that sound right?
I read where you should put them in a tree tube, would the large black plastic drain pipe work just good? It's ventilated just like the tubes but are larger in diameter. I was thinking of putting a protective type cage around the whole tree, like a 3 or 4 foot circle around the whole tree, is this a good idea or not?
Sorry for all the questions, never planted fruit trees before. Thanks for the input

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

anyone have an idea about how long before a tree this size bears fruit?

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby huntall » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I would say 3 years till they make fruit. Each year after making more fruit as they get bigger.

Tree tubes are great, but on fruit trees I dont use them.
Some people put tree tubes on them but the deer can still eat the tops out so I always put a wire ring around the tree 5ft tall and about 3ft around instead of a tree tube.

The first pear trees I ever planted I did not put a wire ring around them.The deer eat the tops out of every one.
Now I always put a ring around them!

Always make sure you water good when planting them!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby joshua99ta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Really really good info here!!!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Rem. SPS 25-06-- rifle of choice for now
Gotta get a Barret 50BMG so I can go deer hunting
Matthews Z7 extreme
PoPo RZR 800- the carnage hauler and beer mobile
Can-am Renegade 940 by FCP
joshua99ta
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks huntall, I was thinking about doing the wire cage like you suggested. I have plenty of wire hanging around that I can use. I'll post some pics once I get them in the ground

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Smacko » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:49 am

buckcrazy wrote:anyone have an idea about how long before a tree this size bears fruit?

I bought pear trees that size last year and planted in Feb. and they beared fruit this year...not many but I did have some pears...
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 am

the pear trees seem to bear fruit quicker than any other fruit trees that we planted.. Just a couple of years back the wife and I planted 3 pear trees, 2 peach trees, 2 plum trees and 3 persimmons. AAnd as smacko 2 of our pear trees bore fruit that first year and this past year one of em bore so much fruit that it broke limbs. The plum trees bore fruit this year however the peach tree has yet to bear fruit but they take a little more care than the others.... I plan on planting a few appe trees and a couple of more pear trees this year... The deer absolutely love them pears.
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:54 am

thanks guys, im always impatient when it comes to this kinda stuff. Its like i expect to put them in the ground and two weeks later have fruit growing like crazy. Gotta remind myself all the time...baby steps.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:16 pm

I dont recall seeing you say how many trees youve purchased or how many you hope to end up with when you plant. Over the last few years weve planted a whole bunch of fruit trees around the same size as your describing. If you are planting a good many, i suggest renting an augor and leave the post hole diggers in the shed where they belong. We rented one when we were planting a good many of our trees and it helped immensely. Turned a likely 2 day posthole digger job into a 30 minute walk in the park.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 pm

I have six right now and hopefully by Friday I will have 6 more if they are holding them for me like they said they would.
I have a gas auger that we own and plan on cranking that bad boy up. Definitely beats post hole digger and shovels.
Over the few months I would like to get at least 30 trees in the ground.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Mrs.Lazyghost » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Over the last couple of years, we have planted 50 or so fruit trees. We planted peach, pears, apples, plums, & pecans. The peach trees were the first to produce, and they did the spring after we planted them. The pears followed, but we have not really gotten a good crop of them. The plums have also produced, but the apple trees have only had 1 or 2 on them. I guess they just take longer. And of course the pecan could be years producing. The trees we bought were 8 or 9 years old when we got them almost 3 years ago, and they have yet to have 1 pecan. None of the trees did very well this year because of the lack of rain....may next spring we will get a bumper crop.
Mrs.Lazyghost
4 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat