• Advertisement

Killing Squirrels Sure Is Addictive!

Quality Squirrel Management Association

Moderator: Bullie

Forum rules
1. The QSMA President has the right to EDIT/DELETE anything in this forum as he sees fit.

2. Any disagreements in this forum will first be addressed by his royal highness, the QSMA President.

3. In the event a dispute can not/ will not be addressed by the QSMA President, an outside arbitrator (gtk) will offer his opinion.

4. This is a PRO-QSMA forum.

Postby FireCloud » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:36 pm

After shooting "two for two" out of the big oak behind my house this week, I feel the fever rising to go pop a bunch of squirrels one morning soon. Killing those little suckers is just so addictive! :D

Ordinarily I stay with deer hunting until season is over and do most of my squirrel hunting in February. But right now my gun is really sighted in almost perfectly and I have been hitting everything I have been shooting at right on the nose.

Might have to see what damage I can do to the tree rats soon!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Killing Squirrels Sure Is Addictive!

Postby vahunterinms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:40 am

FireCloud, you do know that shooting sq's without a dog is a sin don't ya??
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 am

I like the one on one challenge of me locating them and getting into position for a shot. Dog hunting is fun to watch the dogs work but it offers no challenge. Plus I don't like to shake vines all day and shoot a box of ammo at every tree. My challenge is to kill every squirrel I see with one shot from a. 22. I do enjoy it!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby bubu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:12 pm

LOL that's the funniest thing uve read on here in awhile.
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby Bullie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:30 pm

FireCloud wrote:I like the one on one challenge of me locating them and getting into position for a shot. Dog hunting is fun to watch the dogs work but it offers no challenge. Plus I don't like to shake vines all day and shoot a box of ammo at every tree. My challenge is to kill every squirrel I see with one shot from a. 22. I do enjoy it!

:lol: Bwahahahahhaahaha No challenge? You must have forgotten how your shooting skills came up short up in Grenada. But, you tell the truth about not liking to shoot up the ammo.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:49 pm

I don't shoot at squirrels with my .22 when they are moving. It's a waste of time and ammo. I wait until they are stopped, then shoot. Dog huntings is not very conducive to doing that, as people are shaking vines and shooting up in the trees in order to make the squirrel move. The very concept of dog hunting is not suitable for my way of shooting as it is designed to make the squirrels run for their lives with nearly all shots having to be taken at a running squirrel. For that, you need a shotgun, I had a .22. If I had carried my shotgun, the other two of you could have just shook vines and I would have dropped every squirrel we saw that day down to Jiggs. As it was, you two miserable shots managed to kill only four out of at least a dozen treed squirrels. I swear two of the squrrels were laughing as they ran away from you guys. :P

In the Grenada hunt, I never saw a squirrel that was still unless you count the one crouched on the top of a limb that I really could not see. Thus I only shot twice at squirrels on that hunt....one at the one crouched on top of a limb that I could not see and the other at one "dangling" with one paw from a limb after having been shotgunned. Wait, that is not correct. I shot two more squirrels in the head on the ground in order to kill them because you two had shot them with shotguns but failed to kill them. Remember the one I helped Jiggs dig out of the hole which bit her nose? That was a squirrel you two had each shot "at" with shotguns but which was still very much alive.

It's best not to talk about my shooting skills at killing squirrels wiht a .22 rifle until you guys can at least hit one with shotguns. :rotflol:

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby vahunterinms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:14 pm

LOL !!!!! Good stuff right there!!!! LOL..

Next time you hunt with a dog bring a pair of binos and your 22...
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby Bullie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:30 pm

FireCloud wrote:I don't shoot at squirrels with my .22 when they are moving. It's a waste of time and ammo. I wait until they are stopped, then shoot. Dog huntings is not very conducive to doing that, as people are shaking vines and shooting up in the trees in order to make the squirrel move. The very concept of dog hunting is not suitable for my way of shooting as it is designed to make the squirrels run for their lives with nearly all shots having to be taken at a running squirrel. For that, you need a shotgun, I had a .22. If I had carried my shotgun, the other two of you could have just shook vines and I would have dropped every squirrel we saw that day down to Jiggs. As it was, you two miserable shots managed to kill only four out of at least a dozen treed squirrels. I swear two of the squrrels were laughing as they ran away from you guys. :P

In the Grenada hunt, I never saw a squirrel that was still unless you count the one crouched on the top of a limb that I really could not see. Thus I only shot twice at squirrels on that hunt....one at the one crouched on top of a limb that I could not see and the other at one "dangling" with one paw from a limb after having been shotgunned. Wait, that is not correct. I shot two more squirrels in the head on the ground in order to kill them because you two had shot them with shotguns but failed to kill them. Remember the one I helped Jiggs dig out of the hole which bit her nose? That was a squirrel you two had each shot "at" with shotguns but which was still very much alive.

It's best not to talk about my shooting skills at killing squirrels wiht a .22 rifle until you guys can at least hit one with shotguns. :rotflol:

I was acting as guide. Y'all were the shooters. I think I remember only firing at squirrels that you guys had missed.

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby vahunterinms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:53 pm

Bullie ussually carries a single shot and that's all he needs!!! :)
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby FireCloud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:28 pm

vahunterinms wrote:Bullie ussually carries a single shot and that's all he needs!!! :)

Being fair, they were carrying single shot guns. However, at least once MIB forgot to load the gun when we arrived at the tree. That did not help! I felt sorry for Jiggs having to hunt all the time with these guys. :rotflol:

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby fourthhorseman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 pm

I know I've seen Bullie, Circle C, and Magshooter shoot a squirrel on the run with a .22 and I myself have done it several times so i guess I'm just trying to say that awesome is as awesome does. And I am SUPER AWESOME :lol:
Beware all furry creatures for I am the Harbinger of Death.

QSMA Member, 3rd Apprentice, and Squirrel Commander
fourthhorseman
4 Point

Postby Bullie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 pm

:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby FireCloud » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Fourth, it certainly can be done but I don't even bother trying due to my eyesight.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby bubu » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:42 am

If you can't hit a sq on the run don't even talk about shooting skills around me!! Your welcome to go with me with 22's only and we will decide how good we are. Heck I can circumsize a gnat at 50 yrds with my 22!
bubu
Spike

Postby FireCloud » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 am

Oh yes. You guys are the greatest there ever was. That's why it takes five of you and a couple dogs to come back with four squirrels. I can kill four just shooting them from my tree stand for amusement.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Jellyhead » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 am

Traded in the deer for the squirrels a few weeks ago myself...it is addictive
Jellyhead
6 Point

Postby gtk » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Jellyhead, when u get ready holler, and I'll bring bullie or vahunter down for a hunt with dogs

Rob said something about it when I was down @ Christmas
gtk
Admin

Postby bubu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 am

Firecloud, remember that offer I made you at the hunt above hunt? The one about walking out to the gravel road? The offer is still there next time I see you and don't ever expect to go hunting with me.
bubu
Spike

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:08 pm

bubu wrote:Firecloud, remember that offer I made you at the hunt above hunt? The one about walking out to the gravel road? The offer is still there next time I see you and don't ever expect to go hunting with me.

I met a lot of people at the Natchez Hunt Above squirrel hunt for the first time last year. So I am assuming we met there, but honestly, BuBu, I don't remember any conversation with you or even having met you. Did you issue a "challenge" of some sort to "meeting at high noon in the middle of the gravel road" or something? Were we going to shoot at each other or at a target? Please refresh my memory.

In case you or anyone has taken anything I have written as being anything more than good natured poking fun at those of you in the QSMA who enjoy dog hunting with squirrels, I would like to set the record straight right now.

First, I had a truly great time hunting with Bullie and MIB in Grenada and watching Jiggs work. I admire a great hunting dog, including yours, and feel that dogs are a traditional part of hunting in many aspects of the sport, from deer hunting, to squirrel, rabbit, duck, dove, and other types of hunting. Growing up during my teenage years, my best hunting partner had a very good squirrel dog and I would hate to count the number of squirrel hunts we made together and with a couple other hunting friends. On every one of those hunts we did all the same exact things that you guys typically do when dog hunting. I fully understand that is how it is done and have no quarrel with it. I've done it myself many times. I have absolutely NOTHING against the techniques used when dog hunting. it is, like any other hunting system, a good thing!

Second, the guy I just mentioned whom I spent years hunting with was probably the best crack shot with a .22 I have ever seen. He routinely would toss up (or let you toss up) coins, bottle caps, or anything of about that same size and he would shoot them out of the air with his Browning .22. using iron sights only. Rarely did he ever miss. With him, a squirrel was dead the minute it showed his face. I never was nor will I ever be that good. But I do understand there are people who are. And since I have never seen any of you shoot a .22, maybe every one of you are. My poking fun was not based on "real knowledge" of any of your skills. I don't know how good any of you are.

Third, before your post, I admitted to Fourthhorseman I could not shoot anything running. There is a physical reason why I cannot do that. What you don't know is that I am legally blind in one eye and that eye will not focus. It is uncorrectable and a hereditary condition. In fact, at age 7 it was recommended that I be sent to the school for the blind in Jackson. While the other eye was orignally "good" now, at age 58, the vision in it has deteriorated considerably. The prognosis for me is that I stand a very good chance of my one good eye completely failing due to having to do all the work for decades and I may then be actually blind. It looks increasingly like that every year that goes by. If it were not for a scope, I would not be able to hit small targets at all. In fact, I may not even be able to see them, except as blurred objects.

It takes TWO good eyes working in stereo vision to correctly judge depth of field, speed of motion, etc. Because I don't have that, and never have had that, I also cannot hit a baseball or catch anything thrown at me very well. I simply do not have the vison capabilty to judge something in motion well enough to hit it precisely on target, such as with a gun or a baseball bat. However, I am a good wingshot as I don't have to be precise...just close enough...and I can do that. I spent many years hunting quail and shooting covey rises, hunting dove, etc. and thus my wingshooting skills are above average. So if you give me a shotgun and a squirrel takes off running, he is going down. But if I try to hit the same squirrel with a .22 while running I will likely miss. So I don't try shooting squirrels running so as not to wound them. I either want to make a clean kill or pass up the shot because I think it is the right thing to do and I don't have to prove my shooting ability, or demonstrate the lack thereof, to anyone.

Due to several other circumstances in life, such as contracting spinal meningitis at age 2 and being left to die (but I didn't), my spine was damaged and I also cannot do a few other things as well as "normal" people can do. In fact, after that disease I could no longer walk and had to crawl, then learn to walk all over again with some twisted, out of aligned joints. As a result, I cannot run well, cannot "shimmy" up a tree or climb a rope, etc. If you challenged me to a foot race down that gravel road, I am sure you would win.

But I have not spent my life whining about any of these issues or letting them prevent me from doing all I can do. I believe you can overcome many things in life and adapt, but I concede the point that you have so wanted to demonstrate for everyone which is you and some others are "better" than me at doing a few things. Yes, you likely are. You will probably kill more deer than me every year because I miss some when instinctively shooting my recurve bow without any sights. (That is pretty hard to do when you don't see well to start with, if you think about it.) That is why I hunted for the 66th time this season this morning. It takes a lot of time and shot opportunities for me to accomplish what some of you accomplish a little easier.

So I am not a crack shot under all conditions, such as at a squirrel running with a .22. Ok, so what? That does not stop me from working to develop the abilties I have to the best level I can. Maybe I can only shoot my squirrels when they stop running and thus I have to wait for those chances. But I still squirrel hunt and manage to kill about a hundred squirrels every year. And the reason I went to the Hunt Above charity hunt in Natchez that day was to enjoy the day and let my dollars help some handicapped kids take on the physical challenges in their life. I didn't go there to prove my marksmanship, so if you did challenge me to do so, I am confident I did not take that challenge. But if you still do want to challenge me, then let's have a go at it so you can prove to everyone you are better. To at least make it a little more "even" of a contest, we probably should put a patch over one of your eyes first.

Fourth, for what it is worth, Stroker Ace is a dog I would love to see work. He is an animal I have admired, just as I have admired Jiggs, A-Team's track dog, Ally, and other dogs on this forum. While I do enjoy the hunting situations which involve dogs, from retrievers to blood dogs, I get your message that pigs will fly before you ever go hunting with me.

If that is the case, then so be it. I have successfully managed to live my 58 years without ever once hunting with you and I am supremely confident I can live a full, satisfying life for the rest of my days even if I am not granted that "special priviledge."

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 pm

I'll have to say that Firecloud has not let anything keep him from developing into a world class snorer.....

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:23 pm

FC,
You struck a nerve/memory with me. I am gonna dig out my old Browning .22 auto this evening and see if I can scratch down a squirrel with it... I intend to fire it alot though.... a lot.....

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby bubu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:03 pm

I will say this,I AM WRONG AND APOLOGISE TO YOU FOR IT!! I have you mixed up with a guy that hates dogs but showed up for the North hunt-a-bove hunt,he would talk big about shooting dogs on the forums. I asked him if he wanted to walk out in the gravel and talk dogs for a minute but he didn't want to. I am very SORRY for thinking that was you and if you would let me take back the part of not hunting with me? I would love for you to go on a hunt.
Again I'm truly Sorry!
bubu
Spike

Postby reesguide » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:25 pm

BUBU, quick draw may be who you were thinking of. Almost has to be.
"Team Tenth Legion"

RIP my freind, this seasons for you!!
reesguide
Boone&Crockett

Postby bubu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:52 pm

That's exactly who it was!!! I apologize again Fire Cloud!!!
bubu
Spike

Postby glenn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I think you both should show up in Nathcez for the handicapped hunt Feb 17 and 18. I will make sure you get to hunt together, or away from one another, whichever you decide. Either way you will get to have fun, help a good cause and met several people from this site that will be here. :)
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Next

Return to QSMA