• Advertisement

Killing Squirrels Sure Is Addictive!

Quality Squirrel Management Association

Moderator: Bullie

Forum rules
1. The QSMA President has the right to EDIT/DELETE anything in this forum as he sees fit.

2. Any disagreements in this forum will first be addressed by his royal highness, the QSMA President.

3. In the event a dispute can not/ will not be addressed by the QSMA President, an outside arbitrator (gtk) will offer his opinion.

4. This is a PRO-QSMA forum.

Re: Killing Squirrels Sure Is Addictive!

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:48 pm

I have diligently watched this thread when I saw the flare in tempers hoping I didn't have to involk mod powers.
It makes me so happy that it was a case of mistaken identity.
I only know Firecloud from the forum and was scratching my head trying to figure out what he and BuBu had a problem with.

Now Who Is Up For A Skwerill Hunt At my cabin?? After Jan,31

I will shoot a 32 caplock or a 60 cal smooth rifle
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Where exactly is this cabin Jbullard?

I knew Bubu was thinking of someone else and I also know what kind of man he is. I think Firecloud will accept the apology and we can go back to picking on each other. :ylsuper:
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:02 pm

bubu knows where it is
3 miles east of Vardaman Ms on hwy 8
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:35 pm

bubu wrote:That's exactly who it was!!! I apologize again Fire Cloud!!!

Bubu, we all make mistakes. Lord knows I make enough for both of us! But it takes a man to admit publicly a mistake and appologize for it. Your appology is accepted and is plenty good enough for me. I really did not think we have ever met but if a day comes when we do, I will be happy to shake your hand as a friend. Life is way too short for all of us so I do my best to let things go and not hold things against someone who has done their best to make things right.

After writing my first post while eating my lunch, the whole thing made me want to go practice exterminating some squirrels (just in case you decided we needed to do a duel at 40 paces!) so I gathered up my .22 and some ammo then headed for the woods. We have had off and on showers and the squirrels were pretty much staying holed up. First couple of spots I tried nothing showed up after waiting a while, so I moved on.

I have a 5 gallon paint bucket in a strategic position where I can get shots at squirrels at just about any producing oak on my land. I picked out one on a high embankment behind my food plot and was almost to the bucket with my cat trotting ahead when a squirrel hanging upside down flat against an oak up ahead began scolding the cat. While I normally like to make head shots, I wanted to be sure I dropped this one so I centered the crosshairs on his upside down carcass and shot him off handed without any rest. I drilled the center of his spine and he loosened his grip after about 30 seconds and fell. He was still breathing when my cat got to him first so I put him out of his misery before the cat tortured him to death.

This one was likely one of "Jean's" babies as it was a light, silver colored squirrel with white "boots" up all four legs. Jean was a nearly all white female squirrel I protected last year who nested in a pine a few yards from my stand at the food plot. The storms broke the pine off and I have not seen Jean this year so she probably did not survive. I have killed nearly completely white squirrels out of my woods before and hope I can get a group of them to survive and produce a lot of white squirrels.

I did not get a chance to get a shot at any more squirrels as more rain came and I sat the rest of the afternoon out watching for deer at the food plot in my shooting house.

I would like to say a couple more things. I can understand getting upset with someone who might want to shoot a fine hunting dog. That is uncalled for. There are circumstances which might justify shooting some dogs (or shooting anything really) but I'd be hard pressed to think of one that would apply to a trained hunting dog. I have written on this and other forums quite a lot advocating working together to solve dog related conflicts, such as once proposing some rules for dog hunting for deer (tracking collars, ID chips imbedded in the dogs, issuing a dog hunting permit, etc.) which would allow dog hunters to responsibly continue hunting with their animals. The reason I did that is because growing up I tended our hunting dogs every single day. They were bird dogs but were costly to purchase and were treated very well. I think the setter we had we paid about $500 him for way back in the 60's. That would probably be a $2,500 dog today. On cold days, I mixed the dry dog food up with powdered milk and water and warmed their food on the stove before feeding them so they would not have to eat cold dog food.

A little later, as a teenager, I bought some pedigreed German Shepards and raised them for a while. They were really smart dogs (and also expensive) and I spent considerable time training them and, as with the bird dogs, caring for them very well. So I have no bias against dogs. If anything, I have an affinity for any smart, well trained dog.

Finally, if the occasion ever arises, I would very much enjoy a hunt with any of your dogs. Thanks for the invitation. Just take me wherever you are shooting those black squirrels. It looks like maybe those black squirrels are from the delta. I remember shooting a few of those over in the National Forest at Rolling Fork when squirrel hunting with my father as a teen.

It's all good on my end with no hard feelings. I hope it is on yours too.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby bubu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Man that makes me feel better, I'm 35 yrs old and if my momma knew I acted without know my facts I would get a scolding LOL. I would love to get up a hunt with you and I'm wanting to make another delta trip before season goes out.
Thanks for accepting my apology.
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Bubu,
I was thinking about runnin' a little 'speriment on Firecloud next time he comes up this way to hunt. I was gonna try giving him a box of .22s and see if that would get him to shoot. :stir:

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Bullie wrote:Bubu,
I was thinking about runnin' a little 'speriment on Firecloud next time he comes up this way to hunt. I was gonna try giving him a box of .22s and see if that would get him to shoot. :stir:

Bullie, I think my habits are too ingrained to change now. I was taught never to shoot at anything you don't intend to kill. So why should I just shoot at a tree? I don't want to kill trees!

Also, I walked for five years behind adult hunters when I was growing up without being allowed to carry or fire a gun. I learned from that experience I don't have to fire a gun to enjoy the hunt. Now, as an adult, hunting is a pleasure for me whether or not I fire a weapon or kill anything. Today marked the 66th time I have gone deer hunting this year and I have only killed one deer so far. The other 65 times I came home empty handed but I enjoyed those deer hunts anyway. Thus, I personally don't have to fire a gun at a squirrel or kill one to enjoy a squirrel hunt. It's just like fishing really. I can fish all day, not catch anything, and still enjoy having gone fishing! So I am perfectly content not to fire my gun (especially just at trees :stir: ) if I don't see a squirrel I can shoot.

While I am not, shall we say, "cheap" I do like to economize. For me the challenge is to bring down all game that I hunt with one shot. But I'm not quite as extreme as Lazyghost and only carry just one bullet. I do carry several full bullet clips. But I shoot a single shot .22 by choice, as my goal is always to only fire one shot per squirrel. Like a golfer, I always want a "hole in one." Bullets cost about 10 cents each and, in my opinion, a squirrel is not worth the cost of 2 bullets. I put a second bullet through the skull of the squirrel I shot today merely to keep the cat from torturing the beast while it died but I hated to waste 10 more cents on the little bugger. I guess that is why I just pull the heads off of doves if they are still alive. It does not cost anything to kill them that way.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Uhmmmmmmm. Ok. I want my box of bullets back then....

Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 am

There's no telling how many tree's I shot into when I was a youngster, trying to get a squirrel to jump out of his nest :) ...
gtk
Admin

Postby vahunterinms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 am

If I don't shoot 200 rounds or more we didnt have a good hunt.. :)

This time of yr sq's will hold tight on a limb and will not move even when shaking vines, thus the reason for the 10/22 with a 25 round clip comes in handy..
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby bubu » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 pm

I've already shot 2 case's of 12's through my shotgun this year.
Home of ChipnDells "Stroker"Ace
bubu
Spike

Postby vahunterinms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:05 pm

That's what talkn about right !!!!!
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby bulletc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 pm

vahunterinms wrote:FireCloud, you do know that shooting sq's without a dog is a sin don't ya??

:ylsuper: :lol:
bulletc
button buck

Previous

Return to QSMA