• Advertisement

Dumb question, need suggestions

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Dumb question, need suggestions

Postby Stinger » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:10 pm

My bud just gave me permission to plant a field of his outside Columbia, it's roughly 150 yds X 75 yds (conservative). Is it too late to plant corn for the fall or would I be better off going with peas, beans or what ever??? My time to get away is very limited and the field will have to be prepared so I don't see myself planting for about a month. :roll: I also have a couple other smaller plots that I plant with clover and the dryer spot with Whitetail Extreme.

I'm kicking around ideas since this came up just the other day so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys... :D
Rich

Kill swiftly, Waste nothing, Offer no apologies !!!
Stinger
button buck

Postby bt58 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:15 pm

Too late for corn for sure and in my opinion its too late for beans too...I think I'd wait...you're not gonna get much out of anything by planting in August, too hot and dry.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:17 pm

I've planted beans pretty late. You'd probably be ok to plant some roundup ready beans, provided you get some rain on them.

I'd go ahead and get the field ready, plant the beans. If the beans don't make it, go back and plant wheat on it, late October.

The main problem you will probably have with beans is the deer will eat them up as soon as they come up.

Good luck!
gtk
Admin

Postby Stinger » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:28 pm

You guys must have been waiting in the wings...LOL... Thanks for the quick reply guys. I kinda figure that about the corn, oh well. :roll: What do you think about going with something like "Lab Lab" for a bean/pea mixture??? I used it in the past on the smaller plots and as mentioned the deer tore it up as soon as it came up. :x
Rich

Stinger
button buck

Postby iveygun3 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:51 pm

I plant Iron Clay peas and deer love them, usally plant 2 or 3 times before i plant my winter crop. my plots are small so its easy to just replant if needed. fall plant Bio-Logic and watch them eat it up.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby Stinger » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:52 pm

bt58 - I agree August is a tough month to plant considering rainfall problems.

gtk - I've read where you guys talk about "Round Up" ready products, without sounding dumb, I guess I can find these in any feed & seed store??? What about number of pounds per acre???

iveygun3 - Thanks for the response. In so far as Clay Peas, you mentioned that you plant them a couple times prior to the Fall, when is it time to re-plant??? My experience with peas was that the deer kept them mowed down and they never had a chance to mature. When you plant, pounds per acre???

Sorry for the dumb questions guys but I just started playing with food plots about two years a go and have plenty to learn. Thanks for your patience and help, it's greatly appreciated...
Rich

Stinger
button buck

Postby gtk » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:10 pm

your local seed store should still have some roundup ready beans. As far as how much to plant, I really dont know. I always just broadcast the beans pretty thick, about like you would plant peas, then I either lightly harrow them under or cultipack them.

If the deer are hungry in your area, they will probably wipe a lot of them out, but a plot that size (175x75) enough will probably make it.

Good luck !
gtk
Admin

Postby Stinger » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:52 pm

This plot will be somewhat close to the small blacktop road up front but is separated by a small row of pines. The road doesn't get much traffic but I think enough to keep the deer feeding at night if they're going to work this plot. Next year I'd like to plant corn so they have plenty of cover.

I tend to plant heavy, enough is never enough...lol.. All kidding aside I'm kinda limited right now with tractor tools. My bud has a small tractor and I've been breaking up the soil with a box blade with the rakes fully extended. I then pack the soil by dragging a piece of weighted tin. Coonass technology at it's best...LOL...
Rich

Stinger
button buck

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:25 pm

Stinger,
I usually fill up my atv spreader and make a trip or two around field to where i can see the beans. then use 13-13-13 and cover with atv drag.
By the way, I have no tractor so my Grizzly 660 and Howse atv disk w/RR iron do the work. I make small plots b/c my hunting land is mostly wooded and I have small well placed plots.
The peas are eaten quckly by deer, but thats who I plant them for. They aren't going to run out of food on my watch. " Plant It and They Will Come"
Almost forgot, after a week or two if peas aren't just coming up good, you may want to broadcast some 34-0-0 by hand ( just before rain or late in evening preferred) and they'll jump smooth out of the ground. I do this to my winter plots also.
Don't forget to fertilize your trees and briar around hunting areas to sweeten it up.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:33 pm

as long as it gets the job done :lol:
gtk
Admin

Postby iveygun3 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:04 pm

man, I have even raked leafs in the woods and cut limbs to let sun in. All that to plant a few seeds for the deer. if there is nothing for them to eat then they will go elsewhere IMO
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby Stinger » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:17 pm

I cheat just a bit, I get into some of my spots with a track hoe and knock down some of the smaller trees and brush then scratch the soil while I'm there. Makes planting some of the smaller areas a snap, ya gotta love them machines...:lol:

So ivey, are you replanting after they knock out the peas after they come up??? Will they not grow back or is that the time to replant??? I'm not sure when you do it. Will scare crows help keep the deer out in the beginning??? I've been reading up on the iron clay peas and I think I may go that route since I've have good results with peas in the past.
Rich

Stinger
button buck

Postby iveygun3 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:44 am

they deer eat the tops and leave just a short stem sticking up. once they start to hit them, they are gone quickly. I had 3 plots cleared in less than a week. the deer stay on them until the peas are gone. usually mine get up just before blooming and the deer hitem' hard.
After they're gone, I just replant and continue with cycle until time to plant winter crop.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Return to Wildlife Habitat