• Advertisement

Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012 thru Monday, Nov. 26, 2012

Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012 thru Monday, Nov. 26, 2012

Postby flipper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:37 am

The cold front came through last night and I had high expectations of seeing some buck movement at what I call "the hog farm stand." Only problem was that my spouse didn't get me up quite early enough, and by the time I got half my layers of clothes on, I decided that there was too much light in the eastern sky to make it to that location. Instead, I just headed out from the house on foot. Right away I spotted 6 down the hill from the house at the woods edge. Before the sun made it up, I had counted 18 deer as I walked toward the creek crossing we call "the cattle crossing." The does were certainly on the move. I didn't see anything that looked like a buck all morning. I made it across the creek and stalked my way up to "the back bean field." There haven't been any beans planted in many years, but we still call it that. It's just a weedy field now..... I got back across the creek and decided to go check out the "9 acre flat" on the lease. I'm sure there are good bucks hiding in that grown up mess, but I didn't see a lot of sign...... The wind had picked up pretty good by now and I headed back to the house to feed all the animals. I'll probably go back out after I rest a bit. I will say that I see a lot more deer when I'm on foot than I do from a stand. Thanksgiving morning hunt I saw 17, the next morning I saw 15, walking along slowly both times. I sure do get tired being on my feet so much though..................
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Sunday the 25th

Postby flipper » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 am

It was 27 degrees when I left the house on foot going to the lease across our pasture. It was so quiet! Just the different owls talking. I eased my way over to my ground blind that overlooks a small bottom with a ditch that separates the bottom and a hillside pasture beyond. Thick woods surround that hillside. I sat down on the ground and got comfortable, then.....CRASH!!! A deer exploded from the thicket right next to me. I wasn't able to get a look to see if it was a buck or not. I imagine it was a 190 class ;) by the way it sounded. Other than that, there was nothing else moving (except for my pounding heart!). I then walked back to our lower pasture toward the creek. Saw a few antlerless deer, but nothing that interested me. That hard freeze did a number on the trees last night. As the sun warmed them, the leaves rained down and acorns and hickory nuts pounded onto the ground. I returned to the barn and fed the 2 old horses, and then walked to the house for a cup of good coffee by the fire my husband had going.

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Nov. 26th, Monday

Postby flipper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 pm

I got up well before daylight and slurped a cup of coffee down while getting dressed. I got my hubby to drive me down the road and drop me off near my stand. I got settled in and put my camo face paint on. I looked a sight! Then I started my morning prayer and thanked God for the promise of the upcoming rain. Then........ it started raining. Last check it wasn't supposed to start until later in the afternoon. Oh well. The brief shower came and went and I started watching and waiting again. Then more rain and this time, it didn't appear to be letting up. I climbed out of the stand and started my walk home. I could have called my husband to come get me, but I figured I would hunt my way back. I did see about 8 on my way home, including a spike..................
This afternoon, I walked to my tripod at "Drifting Deer Crossing." Named because once when the creek was near flood level and I was standing there looking at it, a doe came drifting down with the current. She was very much alive......just hitching a ride it appeared. Anyway, once in the stand, I made the mistake of pushing up on the canopy. That sent a torrent of water down, part of which soaked me. Spent the afternoon wet and waiting with no deer seen. Just a bunch of squirrels.......

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to Flippers Journal