• Advertisement

New to this need some help/advice

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

New to this need some help/advice

Postby fbcoach39 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 am

I am looking to plant my first food plot ever. I have some land mostly pine and hard woods. I have found some open spots that may be 35 yards wide by 20 yards long. I do not have any equipment to use in order to plant or break the ground. Looking for ideas on what kind of seed i can plant that does not require a drill. I do have a four wheeler. I know i can get rye grass to grow but have read both sides that deer do eat it and they don't eat rye grass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for get plots going this summer for bow season and then have some plots for the winter fall.
fbcoach39
button buck

Re: New to this need some help/advice

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 am

Welcome to the site.

For planting I just use a hand cranked seeder.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 am

welcome coach.. :welcome:

Personally, I don't like rye grass. The deer in my area wouldn't touch it.

Whats in the openings now? If its honeysuckle, I have heard of people having success by just fertilizing honeysuckle. Deer will be drawn to the extra nutrients.

If its just weeds/grass, I would chunk some lime on it now, then round-up it (when it gets warmer) and kill everything. THen borrow a tiller or fourwheeler disk and break it up..

I've had good luck with a wheat/clover mixture. THe wheat takes off for the first year, then clover gets started & comes back for 3-4 years...
gtk
Admin

Postby fbcoach39 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for the info, sounds like I need to invest in a plow to pull behind my four-wheeler. This is a pine ridge with hardwood hollows on both sides with a natural funnel running across. It has a large lake at the end. Tell me what you think.
Attachments
woods.JPG
fbcoach39
button buck

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 am

yeah what GTK said , just watch those pine needles. The sap and pine needles will kill a food plot quick. Some people have had luck with the throw and grow mixtures by big name companies but ive never had them work good for me. Bust up the ground as good as you can.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby e_smith06 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

You could try this no till stuff... I've never used it, so I can't attest to how well it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Evolved-Habitats-Harvest-Throw-Gro/dp/B000HHQFQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360881441&sr=8-1&keywords=throw+and+gro
TEAM FIVE 2015-2016
e_smith06
Boone&Crockett

Return to Wildlife Habitat