• Advertisement

What is the weirdest thing?

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 pm

What is the weirdest thing you ever come up on in the woods while hunting? For me it was a wood burning stove in the middle of nowhere.
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Re: What is the weirdest thing?

Postby tgloden03 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I came up on an old water well on our property a few years ago. Never knew it was there. Luckily I noticed it and didn't fall off into it.
tgloden03
4 Point

Postby BigRic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:37 am

old graveyard from the 1800's
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby Smacko » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 am

two twenty something man and woman having sex....she was the prettiest white tail I have seen from that stand ever since...lol
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Smacko wrote:two twenty something man and woman having sex....she was the prettiest white tail I have seen from that stand ever since...lol

Lol :)
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 pm

i came up on a bigfoot and bullie.....u dont wanna know anything else believe me....it was extremely weird and i hope i never see that again
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm

BigRic wrote:old graveyard from the 1800's

I will go alone with BigRic on this......hunted a new place one time and walking down a logging road about day break and decided to set and wait till it go a little more light before i found a place to set so i just set down among what i thought was a group of old stumps...well they turned out not to be stumps but tombstones. :shock:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 am

a mentally disturbed woman. she was lost & confused...
gtk
Admin

Postby Surveyorshawn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

deepwaterwolf wrote:What is the weirdest thing you ever come up on in the woods while hunting? For me it was a wood burning stove in the middle of nowhere.

Didn't look like anyone had been using it, did it? :)

I don't remember what all I've came across while hunting, but I've sure come across a lot of weird and out of place while surveying out in the middle of nowhere. Besides a meth lab and 2 pot farms, I've found a slew of deer stands on posted land, a super old octagonal gun barrel that was at least 36" long with some rusted up metal still on the south-bound end of it, sticking in the ground by a pine knot section corner (business end up), a double trigger action (no barrel or anything else) rusted up laying in a thicket (it had the remains of a bottom-feed magazine attachment), a still made out of the inside of a washing machine grown up in a yaupon thicket with glass jugs still hanging on it, another still with a home-made mill-wheel in a small creek, and a '57 Chevy Bel Air in the middle of a large tract of Forest Service land at least 1/2 mile from the nearest road.

I also found the strangest "rubs" I've ever seen. After crossing a creek, we came into an area with nothing but hardwood saplings from 3"-5" dbh. 30 or 40 of them were stripped clean of bark from the ground all the way up to about 8 or 9 feet high. They were all close together, and were all still alive. We have bears down here in Stone Co, but I've never heard of them, or anything else, leaving sign like that.
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Postby gtk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 am

Hey Shawn ! Hows that child of yours doing ?
gtk
Admin

Postby Surveyorshawn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

He's running around all over the place, pestering his next biggest sister (Emily, age 7) every chance he gets, lol. He's 100% boy, that's for sure. I tell you, the most awesome thing - Friday night he climbed up in my lap and told me he wanted to give me a hug. Then he gave me a big old hug so tight I almost started seeing stars, and he said, "Daddy, you're my best friend! I love you!" Man, it don't get much better than that. When I started getting sick, we lost our home, vehicles, and credit, but we downsized and actually wound up with more land, just less house. But when I look at my children playing in the floor together, or watching some show on TV, and I look at my wife who has stood beside me though all the good and bad times, and then my mother, who God has allowed to live with us so she can live out her days with her family instead of some nursing home; I can't help but see through the trappings and distractions of this world and instead am blown away and completely humbled by all the indescribable blessings My God has bestowed upon me. I am truly rich, though my pockets are empty.

Truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself. - St. Augustine
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Postby mt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 am

If only we ALL lived with that attitude!
mt
10 Point

Postby jv » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 am

AMEN to that mt...... :2TU:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 am

Agree 100% with MT !

Didn't know you had gotten sick .. Good to hear about the boy though !
gtk
Admin

Postby Bullie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods while hunting eh? Did I ever tell y'all about the time the sasquatch chased me?
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby mt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 am

Don't believe I've heard that one. :shock:
mt
10 Point

Postby LadyHunter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Shawn you said that so well. When unexpected things happen and the chips are down you quickly realize what is important. It is not about money and things, it is about family and love and being together.
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby Smacko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

gtk wrote:a mentally disturbed woman. she was lost & confused...

was that when you met Ladyhunter??
:W: :W:
:rotflol: :rotflol:
Mike Macko
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Smacko wrote:

Don't be picking on her, she can't help it! :W: :)
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby MSG67 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Nothing to weird, BUT, was hunting in Minnesota, (age 13) shot a doe, and was tracking it, the doe ran up and crossed an old log road, and into a thicket, I was standing on the road, and had a VERY Large Timberwolf that was on the same blood trail... standing in the middle of the road about 50 yards from where I came out the woods. Conclusion: Wolf got the doe... I went back to the cabin.... Scared... Kept looking back wondering if it was gunna follow and eat me... Scared Kid for a few hours until safety of cabin... Didnt go back there the next day to look for it either... Friends grandfather went and found what was left of the carcas, wolves ate it up, very little left but bones and hair... Northern Minnesota can be spetty spooky hunting for a young kid..
MSG67
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 am

MSG67, I concur with your decision. That wolf could HAVE the deer !
gtk
Admin

Postby Smacko » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:08 pm

gtk wrote:MSG67, I concur with your decision. That wolf could HAVE the deer !

chicken....
Mike Macko
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 pm

glenn wrote:
Smacko wrote:

Don't be picking on her, she can't help it! :W: :)

Watch it boys!! :nono:
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby MSG67 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:20 am

So there I was, 25 feet up in a Louisiana Longleaf Pine, deer hunting the boundry of Fort Polk, Louisiana. Along the boundry is a fire break between Military land and Private land. Sitting there scanning the area, and I catch a glimps of something whitish moving down the fire break, and BAM there she was, a scantly clad woman, super short white running shorts, white tank top (which was WAY to small for her) (about mid 20's) with a white watch cap, and hot pink running shoes...running... Im thinking---What the H*ll... first off, its 35 degree's out, its deer hunting season, and this woman is running through an area open to deer hunters... I yelled at her and told her she needed to run on the roads, not through wooded area, and it was hunting season, and that she could get shot by some idiot...and she needed to take the trail I walked down back to the main road... and I also thanked her for ruining my hunt.. she says. oh I thought this was a road, and thanked me for the information... I then called the federal game wardens to report the incident.. went to the truck and had a coffee and sandwich.. found out later it was some officers wife trianing for the army GI / Spouse marathon ... Probably some city woman who never been around hunters..Go figure.... That day was shot... But what a sight...never seen someone that retarded running throught the woods during hunting season, and wearing all white... Craziest thing I ever saw!!!
MSG67
button buck

Postby e_smith06 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 am

My tale is more about a smart squirrel than weird.
I had a stand on private property that had some good sign, and I had several pics of a good buck there. The property used to be a Christmas tree farm that was abandoned about 10 years ago. The cedars are about 40' tall and 40' in diameter at the bottom. It's THICK in there.
But I made a small clearing and planted a food plot, hung a stand along an old hardwood fence row, and got the heck out of there. Waited for the wind to be right before I went back.
Well the rut rolls around and the wind was perfect. I hunted this stand for 3 days in a row, seeing my buck twice, but never getting a shot. (My cousin wound up killing the chocolate horned 8pt when I had to go to school the next week) by the way: never tell anyone where you see a good buck - lesson learned!

Anyway: during the 3 days I met a squirrel in there. He lived about 20 yards to the left of my stand in an old pecan tree. And everyday, he would come out and sit with his back to the trunk of his tree watching the food plot - just like I was doing. If I turned my head, he did too. He mimicked my every move for 3 days. Craziest thing I've ever seen! I wonder if he's still "hunting" ---
TEAM FIVE 2015-2016
e_smith06
Boone&Crockett

Next

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion