• Advertisement

Clover question

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Clover question

Postby sticknstring » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:20 pm

I used a no-plow mix last year on some of my food plots that had a clover mixture among other things. The clovers where crimson, arrow leaf and berseem. The crimson clover looks to be the only comver that made it and is the most dominant in the plot right now. My question is will the crimson clover reseed and stand up to some light discing. I want to reseed with the same mixture with some extra stuff for fall and would like for the already established clover to stay as well.
sticknstring
button buck

Clover question

Postby gtk » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I would think so. I'd go back over it with a light disc and some white clover
gtk
Admin

Re: Clover question

Postby BayouGuy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 pm

In my experience crimson will reseed more successfully than either the arrow leaf or berseem, and will likely survive light disking. I'm not surprised that it has become dominant in you plots.

But I'm not a fan of crimson. On my plots deer clearly prefer the white clovers over crimson. The crimson gets "leggy" and tough, and supresses the whites. I have eliminated it totally from my seed mix. My top choice is Durana. It's slow to establish and you will think maybe you made a mistake with it the first year. But by the second year it expands well. I have two quarter acre plots of Durana that the deer hammer, but they can't keep it down. A well established Durana plot will last five to seven years if you hit it with a little P and K each Spring. I recommend you concentrate on one of the Ladino varieties. If not Durana, both Louisiana S-1 and Osceola have done well for me in the Greensburg, LA area (pine plantation land). Just make sure you get the pH up to at least 6.5.

Each Fall I lightly disk my Durana plots and broadcast wheat and chicory into the clover. Both have grown well enough to provide a little variety on the plot throughout the Fall. Around March I run the bushhog over the plot, cutting about 8" above the ground to release the clover. As of last weekend the Durana plots are still nice and green and the cameras prove the deer are using them heavily.
Last edited by BayouGuy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See my Deer Stand plans in the classifieds: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17161
BayouGuy
button buck

Re: Clover question

Postby lugnutzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:17 pm

+1 on Durana, but man that stuff is higher than a pine tree grows. I think we have 25lb bags for $225, oceola is like $195 per 50lb bag.

Excuse my brevity.
Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk.

Ric M.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Return to Wildlife Habitat