• Advertisement

buck forage oats ?

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

buck forage oats ?

Postby acman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 pm

anyone use the buck forage oats in their plots. results good or bad. I bought some this year just wondering what to expect. I have heard good things about them
acman
button buck

Re: buck forage oats ?

Postby FireCloud » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 pm

The Buck Forage Oats are supposed to be an improved strain of regular old oats that are a bit more cold hardy and superior in other ways. With the weather we typically have in Mississippi, most any type of oats will do ok during the winter. I plant Bob oats, which are cold hardy down to about 20 degrees.

All oats germinate quickly and grow rapidly. They are a shorter season crop than, say Winter Wheat, cereal Rye (not rye grass), or Triticale so they get tougher and less attractive to deer sooner than those other crops. But deer like the oats just fine and will eat them greedily during the early stages while the shoots are young, fresh, and green.

Oats grow pretty well in moist soils so they may be more suitable for some plots than other crops. There is nothing wrong with oats at all. But as a single crop, ANY type of oats is less appealing to deer than a mixture of various crops. I personally mix Bob oats, Winter Wheat, Elbon Rye, and Austrian Winter Peas in approximately equal quantities. That also gives me protection from "crop failure" if conditions just don't work out well for a particular crop. If you rely upon oats alone, and something happens that stunts the crop or kills it, then you are stuck with a food plot that no longer works.

Buck Forage Oats is a good deal more expensive than Bob oats or other standard crop varieties and it does not necessarily attract deer that would never eat Bob oats. The bottom line is that if you plant Bob oats, you will save money and the same deer will still show up to eat the oats. The deer simply don't care what brand of oats you plant.

But will Buck Forage Oats make a good food plot. Yep, they will. But so will a lot of other things.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 am

I plant nothing but BFO. Matter of fact I put two bags in the ground yesterday. A camp I used to be in only did BFO and we had great success with it so it just stuck with me. I never had mine grow higher than roughly 3 or 4 inches last year because the deer kept it mowed down. In my opinion you cant go wrong with the stuff.
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby lugnutzz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 am

deer like plain oats that dont get planted too.. i overseeded my plot a couple years back when the worms got it and they ate the oats before they germinated, i was betting a rain that night that never came. my blend i sell and plant myself has wheat and oats at about 35% each, and balance is 5% rape, 10% rye, and 15% winter peas.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

~LugNutzZ

2012-13 Team 5
2013-14 Team 6 - "IronWood"
2014-15 Team 1 - The Mafia" - winner
2015-16 Team 3 - Triple Threat
lugnutzz
Boone&Crockett

Postby FireCloud » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 pm

WOW, Lugnutzz, you have some hungry deer in your woods! I've never heard of deer so hungry they lick the seeds off the ground but I take your word for it.

No doubt about it, deer will eat any kind of oats at any opportunity they get.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Smacko » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:07 am

FireCloud wrote:WOW, Lugnutzz, you have some hungry deer in your woods! I've never heard of deer so hungry they lick the seeds off the ground but I take your word for it.

No doubt about it, deer will eat any kind of oats at any opportunity they get.

what about Quaker Oats??...
:moon :moon
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 am

I have planted the buck forage oats before with good success. However, I have had just as good of success with mixing my own, about the same as what Lugnutzz does, for a lot less money. If the bag has a picture on it, especially of a deer, it will cost you about double what a bag at a seed store with wheat, oats etc. written on the outside with a sharpie will. The down side is it won't double the number of deer you see, or have any significant effect for that matter. Another way to look at it. Would you prefer to sit down to a meal with a steak, baked potato, green beans, corn and a roll, or just a high priced steak?
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby Alan Chavers » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:26 pm

I will know more for myself around December. We planted only BFO on three plots and a mixture like Firecloud described on the others. I am going to make cages from my 4' survey stakes and chicken wire to monitor what they like and are eating during the season.
Alan Chavers
Spike

Postby patgrace09 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 pm

We planted wheat only. . But the main thing is get fertilizer on it and have it sweet for them.our first year we didn't get any on ours and didnt see many deer since then we disc pure ammonium nitrate in while planting and they kill it
patgrace09
button buck

Postby patgrace09 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 pm

We come back the end of november and broadcast more in hotspots on the plots
patgrace09
button buck

Postby publichunter1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:30 pm

patgrace09 wrote:We come back the end of november and broadcast more in hotspots on the plots

More ammonium nitrate or more wheat? I assume you are referring to the earlier.
publichunter1
button buck

Postby Smacko » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm

can't believe Firecloud didn't answer my question...maybe I stumped him...
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby patgrace09 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Ammonium nitrate
patgrace09
button buck

Postby FireCloud » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Smacko wrote:can't believe Firecloud didn't answer my question...maybe I stumped him...

I'm having oatmeal in the morning for breakfast so I will take both some cooked and uncooked out to my deer feeder. Who knows? Maybe they will eat them. Then I can give you an answer. :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat