• Advertisement

Tree thinning question.....

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Tree thinning question.....

Postby newlandowner » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:59 am

From reading this site and others, it seems that thinning out some thick trees is a good (and underutilized) way of attracting and maintaining deer. Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain that in a little more detail how and why that works? Also, since deer season is right around the corner, should I wait until the Spring so that my actiity in the area will not "spook" the deer or will it be ok to go ahead and do so now? Thanks for your help.
newlandowner
Spike

Re: Tree thinning question.....

Postby gtk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 am

Deer need 1) Food & 2) Cover

A thick canopy does not allow sunlight to hit the ground enough, to grow browse for deer. Also, the older & thicker you trees, the more "open" the ground is, thus not providing cover.

Thinning out some trees will allow the forest floor to sprout new stuff for the deer to eat, plus it makes it "thicker" providing more cover..

I would probably wait after season to season to do this, if you are going to log it out. If you just plan on cutting trees down and letting them lay, then it probably doesn't matter right now..
gtk
Admin

Postby patinlouisiana » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:44 am

This might depend on your definition of thinning.
Some are calling thinning out as cutting down the complete undesirable trees allowing more open space for the desirable tree and letting the fallen trees lay or just the tops. This provides short term fresh leaves and bedding for the deer.
The other definition is the act of removing branches of a standing tree. This can make the tree healthier and allow more sunlight to reach the forest floor. Leaving the trimmed branches where they fall as leaf food is also an option. Or making “brush Piles” can be useful as ground blinds or bedding for the deer.
:2c:
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

The activity of thinning the trees will not affect the deer all that much. When I was younger my grandfather owned a logging business and we would keep a 30-30 on the skidder during hunting season. We harvested some fine bucks that were just a little too curious. Also I have killed some good deer walking in after the logging had finished for the day. So it would be up to you on when to decide to do the thinning.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
10 Point

Postby patinlouisiana » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm

I have heard more than one story about hunters leaving a chainsaw idling to attract a curious deer? :roll:
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby ChemEng » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:55 pm

Another good practice is felling the tree without cutting all the way through...this leaves the tree alive and growing vertical shoots providing cover and forage.
ChemEng
button buck

Return to Wildlife Habitat