• Advertisement

Don't get tunnel vision!

Lets Talk Archery..

Don't get tunnel vision!

Postby glenn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 am

Yesterday afternoon about 5:30 my son sent me a text that he had stuck a deer. I went out there to help him look for it and that also gave it a little time to lay there before getting in behind it. I got there and she had only gone about 50 yards.

He gradded the deer and wanted me to lead the way out. As I was heading up the hill trying to pick the best route, I forgot to watch where I was going. The sound of rattles by my foot broke the trance and reminded me that tunnel vision was not a good thing in the woods, especially while it is still hot out. I was well within striking distance, only about a foot. Luckily he wanted nothing to do with us and turned to slither away. I know you're not supposed to carry a pistol during archery season trailing a deer, but I was glad I had one. That is the third rattle snake we have killed this year. Snake boots, a good flashlight and a 380 are standard trailing equipment for me.

Don't get tunnel vision!
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: Don't get tunnel vision!

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:23 am

where is the "like" button!!

We get so caught up in the excitement we tend to forget it is still hot and the snakes are still out!
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:04 am

Way to close for comfort. Starting to cool down after the rain this morning. Maybe they will dissappear soon.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:33 am

Wow, I think I am being sent a message here! Two nights ago I had a dream about a rattler which, in the end, bit and killed my cat. Yesterday, a hunting buddy came by my house and right before he left, he pulled out a pair of snake proof boots (without me asking him to) and told me "you need to buy a pair of these boots.) I thought it a bit odd at the time why he felt inclined to instruct me to get some snake proof boots in that he was at my house to help me test my ATV starter.

This morning, when I got up, I had nearly decided to go today to see if they had a pair of the boots in my size at Bass Pro before I make my Mahannah trip. But while shaving I talked myself out of the idea because I would not have time to break in a new pair of boots.

Now as I sit down to finish some coffee and what do I find here? A post about Glenn nearly feeding one of his feet to a rattler. With not being able to get past rattlesnake images in my mind these last two days, I think someone is trying to tell me I need to go shopping for a pair of snake proof boots.

Rattlers I don't like. There is just something ominous about the sound of their buzzing that crawls my skin even if they are a safe distance away....which usually they are not if you are hearing them rattle! I cannot take a firearm to Mahannah so some new high top boots might be in my future!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Till it gets good and cool enough that snakes are not out i will have my snake boots on. ;)
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 am

FireCloud, they are well worth the money you will spend on a pair of snake boots. I lived in Arkansas for 7 years working for a power company. During that time I dealt with lines going through and to rice fields which, as most of you know, are a haven for cottonmouths. They are much more agressive than a rattle snake. I wore thick leather climbing boots that saved from 3 different strikes. I am not afraid of the snakes I see, it's the ones I don't see that scare me.

I am wearing my fouth pair of snake boots now. There are some very comfortable ones out there. Any time I don't need insulated boots, that's what I wear.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 am

I never thought I would own a pair of snake boots until I got in the hunting club Iam in now(this is my 6th year there). After I kill my 3rd rattle stake there I am on my second pair of snake boots and like others have said until its cold enuff for to be gone I have on the snake boots....
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby BDHunts » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 am

I have always used Snake Chaps/Leggings. This year I purchased the New Lacrosse RUBBER Snake boots, I love them, they are not too stiff and not too heavy. Firecloud, try on a pair when your searching....
Genesis 27:3 “Now then, get your weapons — your quiver and bow — and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.”
"Odocoileus Virginianus"-The original fast food
Hunt hard, Hunt long and Hunt safe
NRA LIFE MEMBER
BDHunts
6 Point

Postby bigsteve » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm

here are 3 we eliminated last week bow hunting in ark the woods are full of them
Attachments
php2pZs9cPM.JPG
php2pZs9cPM.JPG (48.28 KiB) Viewed 187 times
20131006_133648_opt.JPG
20131006_133648_opt.JPG (97.7 KiB) Viewed 187 times
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to Archery