• Advertisement

Quick Question....

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Quick Question....

Postby AvidHunter11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:36 am

I have a few more food plots that I am going to plant, and since planting season is almost over, at least for what I'm wanting to plant(oats), according to this website (http://msucares.com/pubs/misc/m1591.pdf).. Have any of you ever planted oats after October 15 with success? If not, what are some other things you have planted after Oct. 15 like turnips, Austrian Winter Peas, wheat etc.. Help since I don't have long.. And if you wonder why I'm getting started so late it's because we hired a bulldozer operator to come in and clear our roads and make some new food plots (I know it's kinda late)..
AvidHunter11
button buck

Re: Quick Question....

Postby Smacko » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:30 am

you should be ok with oats but they don't take a frost to well. So hurry and get them in the ground. Wheat sould be fine. I don't like Gulf Rye but have used it in late season planting. Instead of turnips plant rape, no roots to deal with when you go to replant and the deer love them as well. Hope you get them planted before this next rain maker....
Mike Macko
Team Perfect Ten Champions 2012-2013
Team Ironwood 2013-2014
Team The Rack Smackers 2014-2015
Team Backstrap Brotherhood Champions 2015-2016
Smacko
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 am

wheat.
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:52 am

I say wheat also
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Your oats will be fine. We are going to plant our Pickens lease this weekend. We will be planting Oates wheat kale and rape
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 pm

I have planted Bob Oats, Winter Wheat, Austrian Winter Peas, and Elbon Rye on some plots as late as the first week of November here in Hinds County.

In this area, the average first frost is usually the first week of November, so if you get the seed into well prepared soil in enough time before the frost to allow the seeds to germinate and grow a little, they should survive a mild first frost.

Allow 10 days for germination and some growth before a frost. If you plant by October 20, you should be ok, assuming two things:

1) You get sufficient rain and warmth before the first frost to allow for good germination, and

2) You don't get an early killing frost before the plants get a root structure started.

If you do plant and something happens to destroy your planting, such as a killing frost, just replant. Often there is a sufficient gap between the first killing frost and a second killing frost to allow for replanted seeds to germinate and grow. The later these kinds of seeds are planted, the worst they tend to do, so get busy!

As Smacko says, Gulf Rye will germinate extremely fast and will grow under conditions less favorable to these other kinds of seeds. I'd consider mixing in a little Gulf Rye to fill in you plot and green it up by overseeding if the germination of your other seeds is spotty or frost kills off some of your new sprouts.

It's definitely not too late to produce a food plot that will attract deer. Good luck.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat