• Advertisement

After the Chase

After the Chase

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Can't believe that magical time is already over. It has been a very frustrating and unlucky season of hunting for me. Besides missing the good buck on the 16th of Dec., I missed another one (with a different gun) after that. The second one I spotted chasing a doe in the edge of the woods. I spent at least 45 minutes stalking my way through the field, woods, and fog in an effort to get ahead of those deer and maybe get a shot. It all worked out perfectly. I had arrived at a spot on the hill looking down at the woods where I had last seen them. The fog was still heavy, but I spotted a small buck up in the trees. I realized he was looking at a doe, and then I saw the good buck. He was broadside, about 150 yards away. I knelt down and he looked my way. I thought my shot was well placed and expected him to fall over any second. Instead, the doe took off and he grunted and ran after her. I did sight my guns in before season.
So after missing 2 good bucks (granted I was free handing those shots with nothing to prop on.....excuses, excuses), I decided I would go ahead and get my confidence back by shooting a doe. I've never shot at a doe before. Just didn't want to. This particular morning, New Years Eve, I got my husband to let me out on the road and I stalked my way into the bottom sage field leading to the back bean field. I saw a doe loping along the wood edge and could see a buck running along just inside the woods. I figured he was a good one since he was being smart and not coming out in the open. He was a good one.......... just young. A nice 8 point with relatively long tines. He came out in the open after the doe, but then she got my scent and took off. The buck just looked around like he was lost and eventually went back in the woods in the direction the doe had gone.
After hunting a little more that morning, I headed back to the house. Just as I crossed the big creek, I saw a doe across the pasture next to the fence line. Then others started running across the pasture. I propped on the gate I was standing beside and when the first large enough doe stopped, I pulled the trigger. She dropped in her tracks. She had been facing me nearly straight on. Her legs were stuck straight out briefly. The other does were running all around confused. The doe I shot kept moving some. Then she lifter her head. At that point, it was like Wac-A-Mole. She would lift her head and I would shoot right as it went back out of sight. You see, there was a little knoll that she fell behind when I shot her that kept me from seeing anymore than her side and preventing me from getting another good shot off. I shot 2 more times, each time she disappeared behind the knoll. Then, to my disbelief, she staggered over to the edge of the creek. All I could think of was "NO NO, not in the creek!!! How would I ever get her out of there. No problem. She climbed BACK up the bank. I was just about to get off another shot when she got up and moved on through the trees along the creek. I tried to get around ahead of her, but she crossed the creek. I saw a lot of blood, so I just decided to leave her alone. After about an hour and a half, I went back and I followed a good blood trail. She had stayed along the creek, crossing it 4 more times. What a nightmare this had turned in to. I crossed where she did at one spot and sank to my knees in watery sand. I had visions of Tarzan shows and old westerns where people sank in quicksand and that scared me pretty bad. I was able to climb out, but had to continue my tracking with wet clothes and water in my shoes. The good blood trail seemed to stop when she reached the back bean field. I crossed where David had clipped into the sage and found 2 more spots of blood. No more. I guessed she might be laying in the sage somewhere, so I went back to the house to change clothes and when David came home from work, we got the dogs and went to look for her. The dogs easily back tracked her trail, but didn't find her in the sage. As much as I hate to wound and hurt an animal, I have to believe that the shot simply jarred her spine knocking her down briefly and that the bleeding sealed off and that she will heal.
I just knew I would have redemption this morning, but never could place myself for a shot. Then the wind kept switching on me. I hate when that happens.
So now I am 0-3 this year. Crazy. I know I can shoot, but it sure is frustrating to have a year like this. Now I can't even seem to see a doe close enough for a shot whereas before, I had close encounters all the time. The season isn't over yet though. Think I'll head to a stand now.
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Re: After the Chase

Postby terry08 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Flipper, calm down. It's just hunting, and I can assure you it happens to all of us at one time or another. You have put in the effort and that's all that matters. It has been a strange year for myself also. But, I have learned from my failures. That is the most important thing.
Good luck on the rest of the season.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:30 pm

Thank you Terry.
I needed those words............

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:35 am

Flipper, your post made me feel great. After all the shots I have botched so far, I was beginning to feel like a total failure. The miss doesn't bother me as much as the wondering if I wounded it.
I have always been one to let it walk if I was not sure of a killing shot. The eight point expired instantly, like it should do. The doe at closer range jumped up after five minutes and we never found her. I looked for two days. In a normal season one box of shells would be plenty. So far I have bought three this season at Planters Supply, at a total cost of $156.00. And only two deer to show for it.
Hope you feel better now.

A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 pm

terry08 wrote:Flipper, your post made me feel great. After all the shots I have botched so far, I was beginning to feel like a total failure. The miss doesn't bother me as much as the wondering if I wounded it.
I have always been one to let it walk if I was not sure of a killing shot. The eight point expired instantly, like it should do. The doe at closer range jumped up after five minutes and we never found her. I looked for two days. In a normal season one box of shells would be plenty. So far I have bought three this season at Planters Supply, at a total cost of $156.00. And only two deer to show for it.
Hope you feel better now.

Wow! That's some money! I do feel better. Now if I could just get a deer in close enough range to shoot. I really think I jinxed myself be saying I'd wait until after the first of the year to shoot a doe. A little smarty britches I was by saying that, like it's no problem for me to put a doe on the ground. Another lesson learned.

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby jaystew » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Yep! That's why its called hunting! The adventure is majority of it! Its just one of those years. As for me I cant seem to remember to take a pic or retrieve pic taken. I've killed two does and a 5 point buck. I have missed two other bigger bucks. Even though I have sighted my gun in early season, my buddy took my 270 to his deer camp yesterday. It was off 4 inches to the right and 3 inches high! :bash:
jaystew
10 Point

Return to Flippers Journal