• Advertisement

Bobcat?

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Bobcat?

Postby huntall » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:39 am

I have mainly trapped coon as a kid and last season my two boys and myself trapped coon. I have been getting a big bobcat on camera every night on a food plot. My boys would like to try to catch a few cats after seeing them on cam.

As far as scent goes...is it likely to catch bobcat as a weekend trapper? Do yall use some kind of scent killer and rubber gloves or is that not necessary? I know I hear a lot of times about catching after set for a week or more. These bobcat are on cam every night that roll, but I don't live on my property. I think we got a good chance at one.

Seting traps for coons I don't worry at all about my scent, but for bobcat trapping I know nothing about.

Also any tips for a dummy like me.lol What size trap do you recommend ? What kind of scent? Thanks
Last edited by huntall on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: Dublelung(Bobcat?)

Postby sidog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am

Bobcat pee hands down best attractant for cats! Make a v shaped funnel out of limbs and set the trap where it narrows down. Attach trap to a drag instead of a tree or something fixed as the cat will probably pull out! A good size limb with the branches pointed towards the trap will work good for a drag. They will drag a little ways before they hang up but they wont be hard to track! Proven method I hope this helps! Good Luck! A #2 or larger trap is what I would recommend.
sidog
Non-Typical

Bobcat?

Postby huntall » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Thanks sidog...I knew you did a lot of cat hunting, but wasn't sure if you ever trapped them or not.

I knew dublelung does a lot of trapping.

I'm going to get 6 # 3 traps and give it a try to start with.
I know exactly where one of the narrow trails the cat uses that leads into the plot.
It's. Real thick on each side of the trail and less than a foot wide.
It would be perfect for a snare I think, but I never fooled with a snare.
I think I'm going to put one trap on this narrow trail at the edge of the plot right where it narrows down tightly and put some bobcat pee on it.

How far apart do I need to put the traps? The thicket that is holding these cats is less than 20 acers. I do not see them in my big mature timberland, but sure they come through it from time to time.
I was thinking putting all 6 traps on the 20 acre thicket instead of putting any in my
65 acre big timber. They seem to be staying in the 20 acre block a lot.

Thanks
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: Bobcat?

Postby sidog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Cats like thick brush and I think 6 traps will be more than enough for 20 acres. Try tying a feather on a piece of fishing line about 3-4 feet high above a trap out in the more open area as a lure. I'm not sure what MS. law is on the feather deal but a turkey feather works good! Let us know how you do!
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby huntall » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't think it's legal for a feather or fur in Mississippi, but I have read people putting little pieces of foil or white flagging or something flashy above trap.
If we get one my boys will be so excited. We don't sell fur. Don't trap much.
It's just for fun. If you skin cat just for myself to keep would you skin it flat kind of how you do a deer skin or only cut along back legs and pull it all down over the head.
I am not concerned about selling hide.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 pm

We tube skin to sell but if you just want to tan a hide for yourself flat will be fine I have a couple of hides that were done like that a long time ago.
sidog
Non-Typical

Return to Small Game & Varmits