• Advertisement

?Question? Mineral Lick

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

?Question? Mineral Lick

Postby jv » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 am

I have never started a mineral spot so i was just wanting to know if getting one started now do i need to start with just mineral salt and wait till they start using it or should i start one with the Di-calcium phosphate, Trace mineral salt and rock salt mix ?
Also do they use it all year or just this time of year ?
#3 Where around the Batesville, Clarksdale or Greenwood area is the best place to buy and about what is the cost of the material's now days.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Re: ?Question? Mineral Lick

Postby brewer03 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:36 pm

I started my last one with the pool filter salt from wal mart and grape kool aid and I have added trace mineral salt and di calcium phosphate after they started using it... They will visit the mineral site year round but they usually really wear em out as the weather starts warming
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby e_smith06 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:33 pm

I started mine with dical already added. Takes them awhile to really start using it. They tear them up during warm weather months
TEAM FIVE 2015-2016
e_smith06
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 pm

start it now, and by the time they start needing/using it, it will be absorbed in teh ground better. In our area, they generally start using mineral sites in May/June, and use them through the hot weather
gtk
Admin

Postby BigRic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:24 pm

we pour a bag of mineral salt over a stump every year. same stump. They will dig around the stump till there is a hole that holds water which adds to the lick. even start eating at the dirt also.
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:41 pm

BigRic wrote:we pour a bag of mineral salt over a stump every year. same stump. They will dig around the stump till there is a hole that holds water which adds to the lick. even start eating at the dirt also.

That is what I do also. I have much better luck using a hardwood stump though. Pine seems to be at the bottom of the list. When I'm trying to get one established, I pour out the mineral salt and then a bag of corn on top of it. That way they get a taste of it while eating the corn and will continue to come back. Only when it's legal of course.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Most of our land is hardwoods...very few pines at all, also we do not allow any corn to be used on club lands.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:27 am

I use the regular mixing salt or trace mineral salt first. Then after they start hitting it I add Di-cal. Seems to work better for me.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Habitat