• Advertisement

under the wire for last tom

Talk Turkey

under the wire for last tom

Postby loner » Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 pm

well,it took the whole season to finally get my limit after such a late spring.turkeys just now beginning to act like they are supposed to and season is over.nothing fancy about this bird to tell.he was in the wrong place at the right time for me.making my second round after coffee and resting the knees, i made another round at 10.30 and he was in big pasture 100 yards out pecking and feeding towards me.a couuple of calls and five minutes later he ran into a 3" magnum
Attachments
007.JPG
just an old retired man, with old fashioned values and still believes in morals, courtesy and sportsmanship.
loner
4 Point

Re: under the wire for last tom

Postby terry08 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Don't see the photo but congratulations
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 pm

I knew you would pull it off you always do! Congrats!
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Fri May 02, 2014 7:10 am

congrats on getting it done !
gtk
Admin

Postby loner » Fri May 02, 2014 7:39 am

sidog wrote:I knew you would pull it off you always do! Congrats!

it is getting tougher as i get older and the miles on the legs are beginning to show.i hunted two old birds at opposite end of the place and could never take either one.i think i have educated them too well since i hunt everyday.LOL
just an old retired man, with old fashioned values and still believes in morals, courtesy and sportsmanship.
loner
4 Point

Postby dustygoodson » Fri May 02, 2014 11:02 am

:ylsuper:
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Sat May 03, 2014 8:47 pm

I understand it being harder to chase Turkeys I'm Not that old but 30plus years of construction work has my knees wore out too. I hope that before too long I can hunt more and work less. I always enjoy reading your post ICan tell that your a die hard turkey Hunter and a true sportsman. I wish you many more tagged out seasons.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby loner » Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 am

thanks,for the kind words.i never look beyond today,but always hope there will be another season.retiring and hoping to have good health and resources to enjoy it are a blessing and many never make it to that point.
loner
4 Point

Postby stickers » Sun May 04, 2014 7:53 am

Congrats Loner. Way to hang with them. Now tell me about that turkey gun. Is that an old A5 ? I have been looking like heck for an aftermarket barrel for mine that has screw in chokes and a little shorter than the factory 32" that I have now, ha.
stickers
10 Point

Postby loner » Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 am

stickers wrote:Congrats Loner. Way to hang with them. Now tell me about that turkey gun. Is that an old A5 ? I have been looking like heck for an aftermarket barrel for mine that has screw in chokes and a little shorter than the factory 32" that I have now, ha.

mine.is an A-500-G.it is gas operated and not sure it is same as older A-5 which is recoil ejection from spring rather than gas expulsion.i sent my barrel which was for duck hunting to carlson chokes and had them cut the barrel to 22.5" and install a custom turkey choke tube.when they cut a barrel and thread for choke tube they use the truchoke which is offered in about every tube out there.i cannot use my rem 870 due to the 26" barrel.i love the shorter barrel.it is much lighter,easier to get around and no lost velocity.
loner
4 Point

Postby stickers » Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 am

loner wrote:
stickers wrote:Congrats Loner. Way to hang with them. Now tell me about that turkey gun. Is that an old A5 ? I have been looking like heck for an aftermarket barrel for mine that has screw in chokes and a little shorter than the factory 32" that I have now, ha.

mine.is an A-500-G.it is gas operated and not sure it is same as older A-5 which is recoil ejection from spring rather than gas expulsion.i sent my barrel which was for duck hunting to carlson chokes and had them cut the barrel to 22.5" and install a custom turkey choke tube.when they cut a barrel and thread for choke tube they use the truchoke which is offered in about every tube out there.i cannot use my rem 870 due to the 26" barrel.i love the shorter barrel.it is much lighter,easier to get around and no lost velocity.

Nice, I like it a lot. I have talked to a couple gunsmiths about threading my barrel for invector or invector + tubes and both have said they are scared to do it on my A5 . Said the steel was too thin and was afraid of cracks or bulging if I ran hevi shot thru the barrel. But perhaps they were also scared to. Thanks for the info. now I am going to explore some new options. Since I cant find an aftermarket barrel with chokes(which they used to be pretty common and could get them even thru Cabelas), I just want to get it cut down to 24" or 26" I guess and threaded. I didnt know Carlson's did that kind of work.
stickers
10 Point

Postby loner » Sun May 04, 2014 12:30 pm

stickers wrote:
loner wrote:

Nice, I like it a lot. I have talked to a couple gunsmiths about threading my barrel for invector or invector + tubes and both have said they are scared to do it on my A5 . Said the steel was too thin and was afraid of cracks or bulging if I ran hevi shot thru the barrel. But perhaps they were also scared to. Thanks for the info. now I am going to explore some new options. Since I cant find an aftermarket barrel with chokes(which they used to be pretty common and could get them even thru Cabelas), I just want to get it cut down to 24" or 26" I guess and threaded. I didnt know Carlson's did that kind of work.

call carlsons and they will give you a price for cutting barrel,threading for tru-choke and installing a custom tube.my barrel had thin wall as well and that is why they used tru*choke.it didn't cost that much as i recall.it has been several years but i don't think it was over $150.i am very pleased with carlson and have other tubes from them for both guns.(785)626-3700 or (785)626-3078 ask for a tech,tell them what you want and they will give you a quote.let me know your results
loner
4 Point

Postby stickers » Sun May 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks, will do. I just went on their website and it appears my barrell isnt thin at all. Or atleast what they call thin. It is .840 which is the same as a modern Browning Silver I have and is greater than the .825 that they state on their website. I am definately going to call tomorrow. Once again, thank you so much. This is the gun I grew up turkey hunting with but just got sick of that dang 32" barrel.

I just wonder if they can tap it to a Browning Inv or Inv.+ being that the barrel isnt what they consider thin walled.
stickers
10 Point

Postby loner » Mon May 05, 2014 2:50 am

you don't know until you ask.i was told tru-choke was the only threading they could use on my barrel which was not a problem with me since they offer every choke that all the others do.good luck!i am sure you will be happy with the shorter barrel and different chokes for hunting anything.
loner
4 Point

Postby sidog » Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 am

I'm more than happy with my tru-glo choke tube and sights I have on my835 mossberg.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby loner » Mon May 05, 2014 5:07 am

front and rear sights like truglo a revelation for turkey hunting in my opinion.as for make of gun,it is just personal preference for the individual.they will ALL take toms with right load and choke tube and taken at practical distance.
loner
4 Point

Postby jv » Mon May 05, 2014 10:37 am

Congrats on the fine bird loner, this first year in about 44 years that i didn't hunt the first day. Knees were giving me so much pain that i didn't go. Like you i had several fiends say that they started off slow but are hot as August right now.
Last edited by jv on Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby loner » Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 am

jv wrote:Congrats on the fine bird loner, this first year in about 44 years that i didn't hunt the first day. Knees were going me so much pain that i didn't go. Like you i had several fiends say that they started off slow but are hot as August right now.

sorry,the old knees wouldn't take you after a tom.mine are giving me fits especially,after sitting for a spell and them stiffening up.i get more excercise the 6 weeks of season than rest of the year combined.i will push myself as long as i can with the pain because i know when i stop i will be done.
loner
4 Point

Postby jv » Mon May 05, 2014 11:06 am

Thinking about going to see what can be done about them (my Knees) in a couple of weeks...even if they can only put in a couple of grease fitting in to keep it lubed. :lol:
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 pm

jv wrote:Thinking about going to see what can be done about them (my Knees) in a couple of weeks...even if they can only put in a couple of grease fitting in to keep it lubed. :lol:

I know you are joking about the grease fittings, but I have been getting injections of Syn-Visc One in both of my knees with great success for 4 or 5 years. As I understand it, they work about like grease and last 6 months to a year. The only problem is they are expensive.
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Mon May 05, 2014 7:18 pm

I own or have owned several different choke tubes over the years and I wound up with tru-glo by accident. I needed new sights for my 835 and found a clearance deal at academy with the sights and extended ported choke tube together. I patterned the tube with Winchester supreme 5 shot and was very impressed! It beat the undertaker I was using big time. Guns are really not that important as long as they shoot good. I've killed a bunch of Turkey's with a 2-3/4" 870 with a modified choke. Getting them in range is the trick.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby loner » Tue May 06, 2014 12:47 am

sidog wrote:I own or have owned several different choke tubes over the years and I wound up with tru-glo by accident. I needed new sights for my 835 and found a clearance deal at academy with the sights and extended ported choke tube together. I patterned the tube with Winchester supreme 5 shot and was very impressed! It beat the undertaker I was using big time. Guns are really not that important as long as they shoot good. I've killed a bunch of Turkey's with a 2-3/4" 870 with a modified choke. Getting them in range is the trick.

yep! it is all about getting the tom in for a close shot.my son has expensive turkey guns with all the extras and chokes but he likes to get the tom in so close his pattern is the size of a grapefruit.i tell him he only needs any shotgun with birdshot and nothing fancy.
loner
4 Point

Postby loner » Tue May 06, 2014 12:51 am

loner wrote:
sidog wrote:I own or have owned several different choke tubes over the years and I wound up with tru-glo by accident. I needed new sights for my 835 and found a clearance deal at academy with the sights and extended ported choke tube together. I patterned the tube with Winchester supreme 5 shot and was very impressed! It beat the undertaker I was using big time. Guns are really not that important as long as they shoot good. I've killed a bunch of Turkey's with a 2-3/4" 870 with a modified choke. Getting them in range is the trick.

yep! it is all about getting the tom in for a close shot.my son has expensive turkey guns with all the extras and chokes but he likes to get the tom in so close his pattern is the size of a grapefruit.i tell him he only needs any shotgun with birdshot and nothing fancy.

as for the 'other' less known choke tubes,i have taken the limit of toms for many years using a walmart tube from china that was .668.it like all my favorite loads and shot sizes.i think it was called 'gobble dot' or something like that
loner
4 Point

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum