• Advertisement

Poults

Talk Turkey

Poults

Postby stickers » Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 am

:pray . Saw my first group of little ones 2 afternoons ago. They were behind my lake and I had to have an 80x spotting scope to see them following Momma but they were there!!! My wife counted atleast 10. Sure hope they made it through the rain and cool yesterday. Also have a hen that is incubating that is practically in my yard that has 16 eggs !!! Her due date is the last week in May sometime. I checked on her this morning and she was "hunkered" in. Been amazing watching this from so close this year. I saw her lay her first egg and kept dibs on her ever since.
stickers
10 Point

Re: Poults

Postby gtk » Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm

We've been seeing a few hens on the place, but not any poults yet..
gtk
Admin

Postby stickers » Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Dang that is not a good sign. More than likely they are not bred yet. Hopefully they will get bred later. We have killed hens that were setting around here in Sept. which is insane. That hen with the poults I saw is the first hen we have seen since May 3(other than the 1 next to the yard). I have learned this year when they start incubating you will not see a single one and only rarely when they get close to the end of laying. The hen next to my yard has not left the nest but 1 time since May 3. She doesnt leave to eat, drink or anything. Even when it got so hot last week. I just wish I could see a jake somewhere.
stickers
10 Point

Postby sidog » Thu May 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Turkeys start breeding here a couple of weeks before the season opens. By the last weekend of March it's wide open. I have Hens who try to nest here by my house every year but our Wienie dogs get the eggs or the poults every year. I'm amazed that as many make it every year with all of the predators.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Fri May 23, 2014 7:31 am

saw three gobbler yesterday on the place.. my dad has been seeing hens, but he doesn't pay attention enough to notice any poults.
gtk
Admin

Postby stickers » Fri May 23, 2014 9:40 am

gtk wrote:saw three gobbler yesterday on the place.. my dad has been seeing hens, but he doesn't pay attention enough to notice any poults.

Yeah, even if you pay attention they are hard to see now. I couldnt see those the other day with binoculars until I put the Leica spotting scope on them. Some predator got the nest next to my house a couple nights ago unfortunately. Just pisses me off especially since they were so close to hatching.
stickers
10 Point

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum