• Advertisement

dove season

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

dove season

Postby sidog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm leaving sunday night for a two day hunt in Abilene TX. It.s been over 100 here everyday but were suppose to get a little front this weekend and a chance for rain and a little break in the temps. :ylsuper:
sidog
Non-Typical

Re: dove season

Postby dustygoodson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:39 pm

good luck i miss dove hunting
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

I am with dustygoodson.... I miss the dove hunts we used to do as kids with our dads. Its been many years since I have gone and the last few years was mostly a bust with only a handful killed. Does anyone know Red Handcock from out towards sunflower county area? Maybe Satarshia? He has now passed but he was a very wealthy man who owned TONS of property. Each year he put on a dove hunt that was UNREAL! The one year I was invited to attend I was only 10 or so years old so I was basically a bird dog for my dad but man o man was that the best memory.

We met up at his trucking company where his staff had all you could eat breakfast prepared. After socializing for a few we loaded up into the bed of trucks and headed to the fields in a convoy as far as you could see. As the sun came up it sounded like a war had started. You could hardly talk because of the constant shooting and yelling of " LOW BIRD " !!!! I wore my little legs out running around those sunflower fields picking up birds. As the day wore on Reds crew would ride around with a company truck handing out boxes of shells to everyone attending.... What cha shooting ? They would ask and you just grabbed a few boxes and continued blasting the blue sky.

Why cant I find a hunt like that now days that I am full growed and can actually do some shooting? LOL.
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm

RoadRanger wrote:I am with dustygoodson.... I miss the dove hunts we used to do as kids with our dads. Its been many years since I have gone and the last few years was mostly a bust with only a handful killed. Does anyone know Red Handcock from out towards sunflower county area? Maybe Satarshia? He has now passed but he was a very wealthy man who owned TONS of property. Each year he put on a dove hunt that was UNREAL! The one year I was invited to attend I was only 10 or so years old so I was basically a bird dog for my dad but man o man was that the best memory.

We met up at his trucking company where his staff had all you could eat breakfast prepared. After socializing for a few we loaded up into the bed of trucks and headed to the fields in a convoy as far as you could see. As the sun came up it sounded like a war had started. You could hardly talk because of the constant shooting and yelling of " LOW BIRD " !!!! I wore my little legs out running around those sunflower fields picking up birds. As the day wore on Reds crew would ride around with a company truck handing out boxes of shells to everyone attending.... What cha shooting ? They would ask and you just grabbed a few boxes and continued blasting the blue sky.

Why cant I find a hunt like that now days that I am full growed and can actually do some shooting? LOL.

They are from here in Yazoo, Red passed many years ago. His son Radford, took over the business and lives three miles from us. Rayford is now retired and his son Rodger, runs the W. S. Red Hancock Oil Company now. And yes, Mr. Red, was quite a character. He had black crude oil running through his veins.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 am

I knew someone on here would have to know who he was. I was young BUT I remember that hunt very well. I just wish I would have known how special a hunt like that was because that was my first time ever in a dove field and I assumed all dove hunts were that action packed and catered. LOL
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:39 am

Not hardly. Mr. Red, would always ask anyone who he did business with. What was their deer rifle of choice? Then at Christmas he would pay every one a visit & hand them the rifle they had named during their conversation. He was quite a guy.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Good luck buddy. We have a field and holding several birds. Our millet and sunflowers haven't matured yet. Hoping to have 2 pretty good shoots on our 1st field.

Only 6 of us are gonna shoot and we are planning a cookout mid day. The kids are very excited, hope to have some nice pics for you guys.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 pm

we killed a limit quick yesterday morning and we killed a limit this morning but it took a little longer. I had a great time!
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby huntall » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Did any of these rains mess any of yalls hunts up?
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby sidog » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 pm

No the rain missed us but we have a chance tonight and tomorrow and I'm going back hunting in the morning ;)
sidog
Non-Typical

Return to Small Game & Varmits