• Advertisement

Finally put to use

Trailcam pics, questions, and good links

Finally put to use

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Got this tasco trail camera as a gift hung it last week for first time. Pretty impressed by the pics so far..Image
xtolled
4 Point

Re: Finally put to use

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Nice pics & buck.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Yeah I was very suprised to see him on there. Only buck I have pics of lots of doe though. Just need them to get of the nocturnal cycle. For a $99.00 Tasco camera very suprised.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

I am not getting any myself right now. Talked to a farmer friend yesterday & he has twelve cameras out, but no buck pictures

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Believe this up and down temps and the heavy thunderstorms having a lot to do with it.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:40 pm

ImageImageImage

A few other pics.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:14 pm

What thunderstorms? Haven't seen rain here in Yazoo, in the last three or four weeks.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Up here in Southaven its been lots of rain lately.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby dustygoodson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:46 pm

nice buck
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks
xtolled
4 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:12 pm

terry08 wrote:I am not getting any myself right now. Talked to a farmer friend yesterday & he has twelve cameras out, but no buck pictures

terry where do u think the bucks are when u stop getting pics like that???always wondered that.............I mean the does are just as smart as a buck its equal age .....deer have to eat.....do people stop getting pictures of bucks this time of year cause the bucks start feeding 100% on acorns ? is every single buck in a area chasing a doe that came into estrus very early?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:28 pm

I have always found it odd. This time of the year the bucks seem to be harder to locate. Seems like before the pre rut they seem to go nocturnal or quit coming around period. Then they show up few weeks later. Same scenario happend to me last year. Strange....
xtolled
4 Point

Postby huntall » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:56 pm

As far as having bucks on cam or not with my experience you either have hardly none or a lot of bucks in an area this time of year. Reason being bucks stay together untill sometime during bow season and the does usually stay together in their neck of the woods.

Then the bucks start to be less tolerable of other bucks and then the bachelor groups disperse into other areas and some stay put mainly where they are.
Near November or December you start getting bucks start to show up from other area and these bucks will be bucks you have not seen or bucks not seen that often in your area.

This is nothing but my observation in running my camera in 4 years of year round use by game cams.
This is by no means a scientific study, but just my observation.
Hope it helps!
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Your spot on huntall.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:07 pm

I think thats a great explanation huntall it makes sense. This particular buck has been on camera before so he is from the area and is on the hit list this year to be culled. But was just curious as to my hunting experiences last few years with bucks this time of year. Makes sense and I appreciate the response.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:32 pm

huntall wrote:As far as having bucks on cam or not with my experience you either have hardly none or a lot of bucks in an area this time of year. Reason being bucks stay together untill sometime during bow season and the does usually stay together in their neck of the woods.

Then the bucks start to be less tolerable of other bucks and then the bachelor groups disperse into other areas and some stay put mainly where they are.
Near November or December you start getting bucks start to show up from other area and these bucks will be bucks you have not seen or bucks not seen that often in your area.

This is nothing but my observation in running my camera in 4 years of year round use by game cams.
This is by no means a scientific study, but just my observation.
Hope it helps!

yes I understand all of that....but what I don't understand is how come right now the NEIGHBORING propertires don't get pictures of some of those bucks dispersing that u was getting pictures of and how come YOU don't get pictures right now of some of those bucks dispersing from neighboring properties.....do u see what im trying to say? kind of hard to explain
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Saddaddykiller,
It has been my experience that once the bucks start shedding the velvet, shortly after they go nocturnal for awhile. Then all of a sudden they start reappearing. If I had the answers to the reasons why, I would probably be rich. All I know is that I have experienced it for years. I do not believe they have left the area at this time. They just let you walk by them undetected. I feel that they are building their metabolism for the upcoming rut. Just my observations.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 pm

terry08 wrote:Saddaddykiller,
It has been my experience that once the bucks start shedding the velvet, shortly after they go nocturnal for awhile. Then all of a sudden they start reappearing. If I had the answers to the reasons why, I would probably be rich. All I know is that I have experienced it for years. I do not believe they have left the area at this time. They just let you walk by them undetected. I feel that they are building their metabolism for the upcoming rut. Just my observations.

that makes sense also BUT...even nocturnal deer still feed and cameras do take night pictures....its almost like the bucks go deep in the thick secluded woods where there people don't go that far in to put out cameras and they feed exclusuively on acorns etc near that secluded area.....
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:05 pm

A buck or doe can lay in one spot on my place and feed for days without moving over a foot. Of course this is just eating browse. I really don't know the correct answer, but it's what keeps us trying to outsmart them every year.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Thats true terry all we do is keep trying to outsmart them. Its part of the thrill of the hunt.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:48 pm

here is what happens where we hunt....we will see bucks up to about to about the second weekend of gun season....then we don't see any older bucks except the yearling bucks all the way until dec 20ish...from dec 20ish till bout jan 10ish will see older bucks....jan 10ish to jan 20ish only see yearling bucks...jan 20 to end of season will see the older bucks but right after that time where u cant see to shoot in evenings
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 pm

That tasco takes pretty go pictures
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:48 am

They are amazing creatures. Last year I was slipping through the woods. I stopped to view my surroundings. No more than one foot from me lay a doe, I never saw her and had I taken a step I would have stepped on her. After about five minutes of my stillness, she decided to bolt. It scared me so bad I could not get a shot off. Once I was told that for every deer you see, ten more have seen you. I don't think they stray far from home range except during the rut.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby xtolled » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:25 am

Thats crazy terry. It is great how amazing they are as animals. Just shows as hunters we tend to admire the wonders of the creatures we hunt.
xtolled
4 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:01 pm

me and my grandpa one time was going move a ladder stand...walked 2 feet from a spike layed down in a log pile walking in to go get stand...got the stand and was dragging it back...passed the spike again 2 feet away and when the bottom of ladder stand got in line with the spike it stood up and ran off.........very strange...
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to Trailcam