• Advertisement

Question about fox squirrle

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Question about fox squirrle

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:48 pm

the fox squirrles with white face and tail..................do they come from only the fox squirrles with white tails and face or can they come from the fox squirrles without the white or what? im asking because anytime I normally see a fox squirrel with the white, I always just see that one...seems weird....thanks
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: Question about fox squirrle

Postby rcbain » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:13 am

The ones with a white nose/ tip of the tail are a subspecies. They are less common than they grey squirrel, and have pretty specific habitat requirements. You'd have to get in a really good area in order to see a fair amount of them, most likely.
Carl Bain
601-937-0010
carl.bain86@gmail.com
rcbain
Spike

Postby saddaddykiller » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:30 pm

rcbain wrote:The ones with a white nose/ tip of the tail are a subspecies. They are less common than they grey squirrel, and have pretty specific habitat requirements. You'd have to get in a really good area in order to see a fair amount of them, most likely.

thanks...still confused tho....I know what a subspecies is but, what breeds what, to produce the ones with white nose and tip of tail? just curious..thanks
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby vahunterinms » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:11 am

I'm no biologist.. This is just my observation from hunting and talking with ole timers. The white faces squirrels are what we call Hill country fox squirrels. I have killed a few and seen them only around lakes and piney areas. The fox squirrels that have no white on there faces is what we call the Delta Fox squire which has another color phase of black. The black color fox squirrels are found near the MS River bottoms. Only place I seen them. Each species of fox squirrels like different habitats.
The Grey squirrel can be found in both the hill country of the state and in the delta portion of the state. The hill country fox squirrel are not commonly seen.
Home of Double A's Pistol Pete
UMCA Nite Champion
UMCA Squirrel Champion
UMCA Grand Bench Champion
UMCA Grand Tree Champion
UMCA 2012 Mississippi State Squirrel hunt 4th Place
UMCA 2013 World Reserve Night Champion
UMCA 2013 World Bench Champion
vahunterinms
10 Point

Postby rcbain » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:05 am

saddaddykiller wrote:
rcbain wrote:The ones with a white nose/ tip of the tail are a subspecies. They are less common than they grey squirrel, and have pretty specific habitat requirements. You'd have to get in a really good area in order to see a fair amount of them, most likely.

thanks...still confused tho....I know what a subspecies is but, what breeds what, to produce the ones with white nose and tip of tail? just curious..thanks

A white nose fox squirrel (Bachmann's fox squirrel or upland fox squirrel) will breed a female of that same subspecies. As far as how that subspecies originated, I have no idea.
Carl Bain
601-937-0010
carl.bain86@gmail.com
rcbain
Spike

Postby Bullie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:58 pm

I would guess that the hill fox squirrel is a result of geographic isolation.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm

thanks yall......I just find it so weird I only ever see ONE in a particular area......ive seen one in the area I deer hunt and the only kind of squirrles ive ever seen in that entire area is grey squirrles...
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to Small Game & Varmits