• Advertisement

Reloading question ?

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Reloading question ?

Postby White Oak 06 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Is there a problem with neck sizing only oppose to full length ?
I know you should reload cases that have been fired from a rifle that your reloading for !

I was told you have to neck and full length size win. and rem. cases when new.
Has anyone done this ?

How many reloads from a case without full length sizing ?

I read that for bolt rifles you just neck size only !

Thanks !!!!!!
White Oak 06
4 Point

Re: Reloading question ?

Postby stickers » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:20 pm

I have never FL sized new cases. Never heard of it. I just trim them up good, chamfer, prime and load.

I only neck size my belted magnums such as 300WM and 30-378 Weatherby. All the rest I just FL size and deprime at the same time to save an extra step. After a few loads on heavy magnums you will have to anneal the brass and possibly resize. For standard calibers I have never noticed that much of a difference in accuracy by only neck sizing.
stickers
10 Point

Postby stickers » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:26 pm

stickers wrote:I have never FL sized new cases. Never heard of it. I just trim them up good, chamfer, prime and load.

I only neck size my belted magnums such as 300WM and 30-378 Weatherby. I just dont want to run into head spacing issues with these. All the rest I just FL size and deprime at the same time to save an extra step. After a few loads on heavy magnums you will have to anneal the brass and possibly resize. For standard calibers I have never noticed that much of a difference in accuracy by only neck sizing.
Only with custom guns .
stickers
10 Point

Postby White Oak 06 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Let me make sure I understand , for 3006 bolt I can just prep and neck size and reload a few times and check for stresses and not have to FL.size ?
White Oak 06
4 Point

Postby stickers » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:02 pm

White Oak 06 wrote:Let me make sure I understand , for 3006 bolt I can just prep and neck size and reload a few times and check for stresses and not have to FL.size ?

You can absolutely but it is easier to FL size with a deprimer pin on your FL sizer die. Saves a step. Also the more times it is shot the harder the brass will become to FL size it. But to answer your question, Yes. Me personally, I would not neck size for a 30-06 just to save time and whatever accuracy gained will be minimal at best especially with a factory gun. You will also get a longer life out of a bottleneck case by FL sizing it everytime. If you just necksize it is putting all the pressure only on the neck everytime you resize rather than distributing it all over suck as the shoulders and main case body.
stickers
10 Point

Return to Guns & Ammo