• Advertisement

Lands to bolt face ?

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby saddaddykiller » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:36 pm

not the way u persaonlly say numbers but ...the way we are allowed to say them
Image
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: south east La.

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby White Oak 06 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Mr. Terry I thought about that too , but here lately I've have run into bullets spinning inside casings , dented bullets and dented shoulders on casings , a cartridge that would not chamber , and bullets that weren't seated at the same depth which you could visually see by eye.

I see factory ammo being just as expensive , buying different brands to see what groups , buying two of each , finding the performance on game factor and then it's back to the drawing board, and the drive back and forth to see if they have more in stock and then it's a different lot # and then go shoot the gun.
I think I would like the convince of on hand resources , Taylor made ammo , my own quality control and just for the science and fun of it.
White Oak 06
4 Point
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Olive Branch

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby stickers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm

saddaddykiller wrote:not the way u persaonlly say numbers but ...the way we are allowed to say them


Maybe so. I have always said 9/1000th 90/1000th etc etc etc. Guess it is just second nature to me.
stickers
10 Point
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby stickers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 pm

White Oak 06 wrote:Mr. Terry I thought about that too , but here lately I've have run into bullets spinning inside casings , dented bullets and dented shoulders on casings , a cartridge that would not chamber , and bullets that weren't seated at the same depth which you could visually see by eye.

I see factory ammo being just as expensive , buying different brands to see what groups , buying two of each , finding the performance on game factor and then it's back to the drawing board, and the drive back and forth to see if they have more in stock and then it's a different lot # and then go shoot the gun.
I think I would like the convince of on hand resources , Taylor made ammo , my own quality control and just for the science and fun of it.


On some calibers it is waaay cheaper too. I looked at some 30-378 ammo last week that is WELL over $100 / box now :shock: . And closer to $150 a box I can handload for about $1/ea. with good premium bullets .
stickers
10 Point
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby terry08 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I understand, whatever you enjoy go for it with gusto. Just be sure of what you are loading. It could possibly be the chamber and not the round.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
User avatar
terry08
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:59 am
Location: Yazoo County MS

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby White Oak 06 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:15 pm

It was a winchester ballistic tip that wouldn't chamber , just one out of 20.
168 gr.
White Oak 06
4 Point
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Olive Branch

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby stickers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:48 pm

"Quality Control" isnt near what it used to be for sure. I had a shotgun shell last year that had a bad primer(never heard of such a thing) that did not go off that almost cost me a big longbeard in Missouri.
stickers
10 Point
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby saddaddykiller » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 pm

im the opposite.....my uncle from tenesse reloaded some 45 70 ammo gave us bag full...I shot some and had more than a few misfire....so now I wont use them ...ill just buy ammo...............ive never reloaded before...maybe he just didn't know wut he was doing
Image
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: south east La.

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby stickers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:03 pm

saddaddykiller wrote:im the opposite.....my uncle from tenesse reloaded some 45 70 ammo gave us bag full...I shot some and had more than a few misfire....so now I wont use them ...ill just buy ammo...............ive never reloaded before...maybe he just didn't know wut he was doing



I dont think there is any "maybe" about it ;) if they didnt go boom. I wouldnt let my Tennessee uncle reload a coke machine :lol:
stickers
10 Point
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby saddaddykiller » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:15 pm

stickers wrote:
saddaddykiller wrote:im the opposite.....my uncle from tenesse reloaded some 45 70 ammo gave us bag full...I shot some and had more than a few misfire....so now I wont use them ...ill just buy ammo...............ive never reloaded before...maybe he just didn't know wut he was doing



I dont think there is any "maybe" about it ;) if they didnt go boom. I wouldnt let my Tennessee uncle reload a coke machine :lol:


hope he don't read this forum........ :shock: .....I think he has the proper equipment and stuff so I dunno....
Image
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: south east La.

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby stickers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:23 pm

saddaddykiller wrote:
stickers wrote:
saddaddykiller wrote:im the opposite.....my uncle from tenesse reloaded some 45 70 ammo gave us bag full...I shot some and had more than a few misfire....so now I wont use them ...ill just buy ammo...............ive never reloaded before...maybe he just didn't know wut he was doing



I dont think there is any "maybe" about it ;) if they didnt go boom. I wouldnt let my Tennessee uncle reload a coke machine :lol:


hope he don't read this forum........ :shock: .....I think he has the proper equipment and stuff so I dunno....


I was speaking of MY uncle in TN :lol: . He likes to get into the jug pretty much daily . At 93yo, I dont blame him. But in all seriousness, it is more difficult to make bullets that dont go boom than those that go off :stir:
stickers
10 Point
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby jv » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 am

Take not for granted....always check and double check, even when I was reloading and had everything set up and running a batch I would always check off and on to make sure everything was still right.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
User avatar
jv
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:19 am
Location: The Flat Lands of Mississippi

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby White Oak 06 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 am

10-4 on that note, I've seen the pics of people hurt from this, so that's why I'm bugging you guys that have the years of experience !
White Oak 06
4 Point
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Olive Branch

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby schoolmarm » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:51 am

back to the original question.
.900= nine hundred thousandths
.090= ninety thousandths
.009= nine thousanths
My students get it kornfuused also. Makes a big difference on a lathe project when -.001 is scrap.. :lol:
schoolmarm
10 Point
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Near the Tombigbee

Re: Lands to bolt face ?

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:05 pm

schoolmarm wrote:back to the original question.
.900= nine hundred thousandths
.090= ninety thousandths
.009= nine thousanths
My students get it kornfuused also. Makes a big difference on a lathe project when -.001 is scrap.. :lol:



but.... .900 can also be said as nine tenths
.09 can also be said as nine hundredths

what confuses me is nine hundred thousands sounds so much smaller than nine tenths but yet its the same exact size
Image
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: south east La.

Previous

Return to Guns & Ammo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest