• Advertisement

I Don't Turkey Hunt

Fishing Reports from your Favorite Lake

I Don't Turkey Hunt

Postby terry08 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:03 pm

But I do fish. Nice one this morning.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: I Don't Turkey Hunt

Postby dustygoodson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:20 pm

heck yea that's a nice one
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Nice
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:02 pm

When their this big I filet the filet. Still not thin fried, but tastes better than the thick filet. The two and three pound bass in this lake are so fresh and clean tasting, that folks I have cooked for no longer want catfish or crappie. When grilled on a cedar plank, they are far better than salmon. We have changed diet from venison to fresh fish for awhile.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Looks like a nice one. I would love to know how you grill them.
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:17 am

LadyHunter wrote:Looks like a nice one. I would love to know how you grill them.

I won't try and give details ladyhunter. Just Google cedar planked salmon, bass or even steak. There are numerous recipes and I use many different ones. The two main things to do, or not do. Do not go in your grocery or other stores, and pay eight or nine dollars for two pretty wrapped cedar planks. I buy cedar fence boards at Home Depot and cut them to length I need for my grill. Just make sure they are not treated, I have never seen treated cedar at home depot. I cut several at a time, soak in water for a few hours then wrap each board in foil and freeze. Then when I want cedar planked fish, I don't have to wait to soak. Next, use electric or gas grill. You don't want the oak flavor from charcoal, just the flavor that the cedar imparts.
Just filet your fish and leave skin on. You can spray the plank with cooking spray on the side where the filet will lay if you like.
If you are lucky enough to get some red fish on the half shell, it is out of this world, grilled on cedar planks. As stated do a search for recipes. I use dill and rosemary on all of mine no matter what ever a recipe calls for. Keep the catfish for frying .
Always put your planks on ahead of time to let them start to smolder. Use tongs to remove from grill, as they will be smoldering on the bottom. Just place in water to extinguish. Enjoy

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:30 am

Terry that sounds really good. I am going t check out recipes.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Have always heard of people cooking it like this but have never tried it but will give it a try one day

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 am

this works really well if you can get cherry wood as well.... I have been fortunate lately that two different friends cut some large cherry trees down and my father in law used his mill to cut me some planks out of it..
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:24 pm

brewer03 wrote:this works really well if you can get cherry wood as well.... I have been fortunate lately that two different friends cut some large cherry trees down and my father in law used his mill to cut me some planks out of it..

Never used cherry, or any other wood. But it sounds great, I have friends up north that use Alder wood, for salmon. Just don't have access to it. You can use oak planks also, which I think would be great for beef steak. But for fish, I just love cedar planks.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:47 am

I use the cherry for pork and fish and turkey.... I also mix cherry and pecan with charcoal when cooking anything on the grill just depends on the mood at the time Also have a little bit of maple and peach left
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:40 am

Terry, I did as you said and Google Salmon recipes and got a couple I will be trying, they look and sound great.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:36 pm

jv wrote:Terry, I did as you said and Google Salmon recipes and got a couple I will be trying, they look and sound great.

Jv, if you are doing salmon. Just melt you some butter, add one lemon squeezed and fresh dill, if you can get it. If not, dill in the spice rack does fine. Just baste the fish before placing on the plank. Then zest the lemon peel on top and grill until the fish becomes flaky. Do not over cook.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:59 pm

That does sound good Terry ....got another that calls for brown sugar, thyme and cayenne pepper that sounds good.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:38 am

jv wrote:That does sound good Terry ....got another that calls for brown sugar, thyme and cayenne pepper that sounds good.

I have used that one also, there are many different types.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Fishing