• Advertisement

NFL Syndrome

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

NFL Syndrome

Postby MikeA57 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am

No, this is not about the National Football League, but rather about my 17 year old son and the fact that he has No Frontal Lobe.

Last Sunday he went to a buddy's house for a skeet competition they were having. I allowed him to take his shotgun and also my Dad's 1950 Model Browning Sweet 16. He's always been very responsible with guns so I didn't have a problem with him taking it. The problem was when he came home he didn't bring it in the house. Instead, it sat, along with his gun (each in their own aluminum cases) in the bed of my pickup in our driveway until Thursday. I didn't drive the truck until yesterday and that was when I discovered both cases in the truck. And, it had rained on Wednesday. Upon opening the cases I discovered that both guns had rusted. The Browning looked terrible. The rust on it was flaky and had large blooms on it. I only found them as I got into the truck on my way to work so there was nothing I could do then but take them inside and set them in the house with the cases open all day.

I was (am) furious with him for doing this. He knows better but he let his teenage mind wander and didn't take care of what he should have. I got up early this morning and took the Browning apart and put gun oil on it and worked it over with 0000 steel wool and the rust came right off. I left a thick coat of oil on it for today and will wipe it off this evening. Of course there is some discoloration of the metal due to the rust. My son said he will pay to have it re-blued. My question is: Should I consider getting it done? It is a 65 year old classic gun that still shoots great. When I told a buddy at work I was considering getting it re-blued he asked, "Do you really want to do that, or would it be better to just leave it like it is and that be part of its history? As long as it stays oiled it won't rust anymore."

Would you guys get it redone or just leave it?
“Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.”
MikeA57
4 Point

Re: NFL Syndrome

Postby sidog » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:56 am

I guess that would be a personal decision but some collectors dont like reblued guns? I have a 1956 sweet 16 thats in fairly good condition but I still hunt with it so it's staying like she is. I know you were sick about your guns! Hopefully the will be fine.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby MikeA57 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:02 pm

I realize that it's a personal decision and I know that the main points related to this are keep it like it is for the sake of being original or get it re-blued and possibly lessen the value of it by doing that. Just wondering if there are any other things to consider.
“Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.”
MikeA57
4 Point

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:42 pm

I think I would leave the guns as they are, as a reminder to your son.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby sidog » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Pretty or not I love shooting my sweet 16! The only problem I have with it is chasing hulls because everyehere we bird hunt the land owners want you to pick up hulls to keep cattle from eating them? I usually shoot my O/U to eliminate this problem. I dont know what I would do if mine was rusted? It would be hard not to fix it I think.
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:50 am

:rotflol:

sorry.. can't hep but laugh.. I got one (kid) just like him (and you know that).. Did he ever say "why" he left them in the bed of the truck ? Bet ya one way or another, it has something to do with the opposite sex

I would not reblue it..
gtk
Admin

Postby gps4 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:29 pm

if you plan to use it and not keep it stashed in a safe, i'd vote to have it re-blued and reconditioned so that it is in prime working condition. of course, that's easy for me to say after i had an a5 teflon coated by birdsong a couple years ago.
gps4
button buck

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Leave it alone!! I personally love guns that are weathered from years of use, NFL caused or not. I will never sell my guns, especially my two main deer rifles. And because I won't sell them I always carve a hoof print in the wood stocks for each deer they have taken. For bucks I put a number next to the hoof to show how many points it was. Does it devalue the gun? Yes, but it's gonna be passed down in my family and how cool would it be to have a gun like that years from now!

I also had the bolt on my A-Bolt engraved with my last name and year it was purchased. Guns tell stories with their markings so why repair your sons markings?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Am I missing something here? This same story was posted over a year ago. What gives?

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 pm

terry08 wrote:Am I missing something here? This same story was posted over a year ago. What gives?

It's the same story. gps4 revived it when he replied to it.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks Leepurvis, I realized it after posting.

A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:19 pm

MikeA57 what ever happened to that old gun?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:39 pm

He bent the barbell over his sons head :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtk
Admin

Return to Guns & Ammo