• Advertisement

Why Do I Do This

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Why Do I Do This

Postby terry08 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:01 pm

The way to people's heart is through their stomach. I will make someone very happy when they receive one of these. I ask nothing in return except a thank you.

Mustard Slather

Rubbed Down

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Why Do I Do This

Postby dustygoodson » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:11 pm

bet it going be good
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Dusty, they are smoking now. About 45 lbs. But once bone is removed and fat rendered out propabley about 35 lbs.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Bet they or going to be great....noticed yesterday that the Piggly Wiggly in Batesville had them for 98 cent a pound and started to pick up a couple but have two in the freezer now...just might have to go back and get a couple more oh.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:47 am

Jv, I haven't been lucky enough to find um at that price anymore. Would have bought more at 98 cents a pound.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:05 am

terry08 wrote:The way to people's heart is through their stomach. I will make someone very happy when they receive one of these. I ask nothing in return except a thank you.

Mustard Slather

Rubbed Down

The weight was actually 34 lbs raw.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 am

Unless my internal probe is wrong, it took 29 hours for them to reach 195 cooking at 225. Think the probe is off because I could hardly get them out of the smoker. They were falling apart tender a little more than I like.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 am

The probe could be off have never took longer than 15 hours to cook but you did have 45 pounds of meat and that might have made a difference.....how long did it stall out?
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:07 am

Jv, that was it. With that much bulk meat which was actually 34 lbs and I generally figure 1 1/2 hours per pound on butts. So the time was about right. They actually stalled at 156 at 10;00 am Sunday morning and did not start rising until 7:00 pm. From seven it took until midnight for them to reach 190. They firmed up after resting until this morning and the juices getting redistributed. Turned out to be a perfect smoke.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:58 pm

"Why Do I Do This?"
I know why, and it is the same reason as mine: We love to cook and make people happy when they eat our cooking.
If I had freezer space I would buy 75# here at .98 per pound.
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby terry08 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:02 am

Yeah Jerry, I checked the mail yesterday and found a sale paper from a local grocer. Had them for 98 cents a pound Friday only. Sherrie, had missed that one and I only got the one from another store for 1.29. Oh well maybe later.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby randywallace » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:46 pm

terry08 wrote:Unless my internal probe is wrong, it took 29 hours for them to reach 195 cooking at 225. Think the probe is off because I could hardly get them out of the smoker. They were falling apart tender a little more than I like.

29 hours? Seriously? In hundreds of butts, I have never cooked them on smoker for over 18 hours. Now, I generally cook them for about 10 hours or until 198 and hold them in a good cooler with towels for 6 hours.

29 hours at 225 should have cooked them to nothing by rendering every bit of fat out.

That 1 1/2 hours per pound that folks talk about doesn't compound if you cook 2 or 10 butts.
randywallace
button buck

Postby terry08 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:51 pm

RandyWallace, I agree with you. I have been smoking meat for over 30 years. This being a new Masterbuilt 40 inch I had no idea what to expect. I checked oven temp and it was correct. Also used two additional probes for internal temp and all three were within 3 degrees of each other. When they stalled at 156 it took 7 hours to reach 189 to which I pulled them. Very little fat loss in drip pan and all four had good fat caps. They were very juicy when finished and perfectly smoked. The only time I ftc is when I pull them at 155 to 160 and need to hold until later for guests to arrive. To ftc at 198 should bring the temperature up to at least 208 which in my opinion is over cooked pork. Don't know the reason for the increased time. But they turned out competition worthy. Every cut of meat will have it's own characteristics. I am about to do four more from a different batch and market just for comparison sake. I agree the time lapse thru me on these.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Recipe Discussion