• Advertisement

Bow hunting set up

Lets Talk Archery..

Bow hunting set up

Postby bigsteve » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:45 am

I select a stand location based on what the deer are doing at a given time in the morning. I will select a set up on a trail between a food source and a bedding area, where it be row crops, food plots, or another type of forage in the woods.

the hardest to me is acorns. many times the deer will bed right on the food source. the less you can do to not alert the deer to your presence the better your chances of success. remember, set up within 20 yds of where you expect the deer to come. I always approach my stand down wind of where I expect the deer to come from. does this always work? the answer is of course no. it's just a guess but you can help your chances by observing the tracks in the trail see which way they are traveling

another thing, you can pick a place where there is a bend in a trail I absolutely love a ditch or creek crossings . look for points or bends in a creek or ditch. these work as funnels and are very productive. remember the wind is your friend use it to your advantage

in the afternoons I hunt right on food sources as close as I can to the preferred food source, large fields or food plots. Find where the deer are entering and set up there. A lot of times if you set up in the woods adjacent to the field you will encounter more deer. I hunt big river bottoms in ark where thick ridges are a gold mine especially for bucks. A ridge does not have to be more than a foot or two in elevation to be productive and the thicker the better

when I scout I look for the place I would want to travel if I did not want to be detected. Believe in what you are doing. if you make a mistake remember what you did wrong and correct it. I have bow hunted for a half century and I am still learning.

during the rut I hunt the sign scrapes rubs and areas where both bucks and does utilize. you can see where bucks tear up the Forrest floor while fighting other bucks or chasing does close to fresh scrapes. The setup here is tricky bucks like to approach down wind where possible pick your setup carefully and I gaurentee you will be successful good hunting
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Re: Bow hunting set up

Postby gtk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:33 am

Good Info Steve !
gtk
Admin

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:44 pm

:thumbsup:
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby hubtech » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Taking notes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:21 am

Bigsteve I always enjoy reading your post and learning something. Good sound methods. Since I can not use a climber I am often limited in my ability to move around and rely on having multiple stands.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:35 pm

I absoulety love this sport and have for a long time I feel if I can help someone.else I by all means Will do every thing in my power to do so I don't try to push my methods of success on any one I will share with those who wish to use them there are many roads to being successful this is the one I use to me the most important factor to bow hunting success be live in yourself and always have a positive approach
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby hubtech » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Is all the scent killer etc stuff malarkey or do you pros use it? Shower before you go out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby bigsteve » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:58 am

Personal hygine is important for you and your hunting companions as far as a scent spray or soap I do not use them but I do try to keep the human odor down as much as I can spend time on your setup and not money on some miracle spray if you put the deer up wind you don't need it
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby jv » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:39 am

Good info :)
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby hubtech » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:57 am

i guess what i'm asking is....what's your pre-gaming ritual? shower before you go out? where do you keep your camo etc. sorry, i've let the tv shows trick me and i think that may be why i'm having problems seeing them when i'm bow hunting.
2014-2015 Lucky 7's
hubtech
8 Point

Postby bigsteve » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I always wear clean camo I shower atleast once a day I don't do anything special no perfume or cologne or cigarette smoke around my clothes or equipment you will never fool a deers nose
As far as not seeing deer I would say it's more about your set up than scent controll myself I have learned don't hunt when conditions are less than perfect once deer pattern you they will avoid you and the older they get the harder it gets to get them in bow range another factor to think about is movement make all movement slow OR NOT AT ALL this is very critical a deer can detect eye movement never have direct eye contact with a deer you will lose and your quarry will leave at a high rate of speed when you are in a stand watch you can detect the slightest movement in the Forrest multiply that by 10 this is what a deer can see you watch the so called pros on tv all that movement is a bunch of crap they film that after the hunt a and edit it in never make a fast move and never move when when a deer has his head up in a alert position wait till he turns his head away from you or puts it down
Last edited by bigsteve on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Great advice Steve. Rule of thumb, for every deer you see, ten more have already seen you.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:44 pm

One thing you can remember about the tv pros they have sponsors they are paid to promote products and hunting places they don't hunt were we do and how we do I would challenge any of them to come and hunt where I do on public land I do use 100% doe urine on my boots when scouting and when I walk to my set up my brother and I buy it by the gallon on line freeze it and it will last a couple years get a small spray bottle and spray your boots
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Just standard doe pee? Or doe in estrus?
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Strait doe pee
A gallon is $72. We usually split 3 ways I put mine in 8 oz bottles and freeze it just take out what I need like I said a quart will last about 2 years there are a lot of deer farms that you can get it from commercial scents usually have additives in them and are very expensive what we buy is about 50 cents. ounce verses $10 an oz for code blue or tinks
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby bigblock67camaro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Good advice here.
bigblock67camaro
button buck

Return to Archery