• Advertisement

Jv

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Jv

Postby terry08 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 am

The verdict is in. For the money the Masterbuilt 40" smoker is probably the best mid size I have ever purchased. It took them a long time to get it right but they finally did. I have ran every test cook I can think of and all were a success. With the A-Maze-N pellet tray, it is a true set and forget smoker. I placed my six inch tube in it with no heat to check for cold smoking. The cabinet maintained an 86 to 88 degree temperature with two hours of smoke from the tube. Perfect for cheese, fish etc.
As a bonus I can get my favorite pellets in Clinton, now at Revell Ace Hardware. They are 9.99 on Amazon plus shipping.
At Revell they are 5.99 for hickory, 4.99 for Apple. These are the finest pellets I have found out there.

Wanted smoked grape chicken slaw yesterday. Rather than thaw a previously smoked bird. I bought one and half a pork loin.
Filled two rows of the maze, smoked chicken three hours to 165, pork was about an hour pulled it at 155. Both were fantastic and the tray smoked a total of 8 hours which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Jv

Postby dustygoodson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:42 am

o my o my o my that looks good
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby BIGERN76 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:31 am

I bought one of those Master built smokers too and I am very happy with mine.
Attachments
turkey.jpg
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:43 am

I love mine too and I got to come to Jackson Monday so I will try and get by to pick up some pellets....they don't sell the tray do they, I know I can get it online. Thanks Terry
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 pm

No Jv, order it from Amazon. 31.99 I think. If you order an extra bag of pellets you will get free shipping over 35.00.

Jv, you can purchase 40 lb. bags 29.99.
But they are not the BBQ ers Delight. I have tried several different types and these work best for me. I am sure you can find them in your neck of the woods.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:59 am

Will do some checking around up here , I do know the Sportsmen Warehouse has some stuff for smoking meats and will check a couple other places but have got to be in Jackson Monday and will check around there while I'm down

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Academy and BassPro, carry them. I just hate fighting the traffic to go there. If you are anywhere near a Revell Ace Hardware, I would stop there. I would be happy to pick them up and send to you if you don't have time to stop and shop.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:10 pm

We have a Ace hardware here in Batesville, will check it out tomorrow. I will be on Lakeland Dr. Monday and there ia a Academy sports not far out on hwy 25 across from Dicks sporting good. There will be a Academy sporting good store opening up in Southaven later on this year.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:14 am

Yes there in Flowood, I have never visted that one yet.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:18 am

Been there a couple of time but like the one on County Line Rd better.
Might ride on out to Van's to see what they have.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 am

If you get the maze, just remember that the lighting process is very important. Use a propane torch and light until they began to burn. Let burn for ten minutes, blow out flame and place in the Masterbuilt. Remove the chip tube and chip pan, I place mine under the drip pan length wise, works perfectly. Also open top vent wide open for the first hour then half way. Be prepared for a ton of blue smoke. Try different pellets to find the one's you prefer. I personally love the BBQ rs Delight. But there are a lot of good ones on the market.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:48 am

I watched a video a couple of days ago on it......next thing I want to learn about is cold smoking, want yo smoke some cheese but have to read up on it to see what kind of cheese is best. Does it give smoke favor completely all the way through the cheese or just the outside?

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:54 am

jv wrote:I watched a video a couple of days ago on it......next thing I want to learn about is cold smoking, want yo smoke some cheese but have to read up on it to see what kind of cheese is best. Does it give smoke favor completely all the way through the cheese or just the outside?

Jv, I cold smoke all types. Pepper jack, cheddar, Swiss, and many more. Two hours is plenty. The trick to cheese is aging after smoking. If you try to eat it right after smoking, it will taste like a dirty ash tray smells. Best to vac seal and store in the fridge for thirty days. The smoke will penetrate all the way through. After the wait time, you may want to lock the fridge or it will go missing. I have caught my grown son trying to steal it many times. He just asked me to smoke some for him. He bought a small piece at Kroger the other day and paid $ 9.00. I use hickory for my cheese but apple gives a milder flavor. If you're cabinet temp is above 90 you can place a pan of ice on a rack to keep the cabinet temperature down. You will be hooked on smoked cheese.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 pm

When you go to buy smoked cheese you pay dearly for it...I will definitely try and smoke some before long, thanks for the tips

jv
Pope&Young

Return to Recipe Discussion