• Advertisement

Over management

Lets Talk Archery..

Over management

Postby bigsteve » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:21 am

Been hunting a wma that has horn restrictions 15" x18 "in place for the last five years allowing 2 does and 1 buck with a ml during the ml season no gun season and a 4 doe limit during archery the problem I see is the woods are full of small bucks and no does out of 23 deer I have seen on this trip only 2 have been does if this trend keeps going it can only lead to less deer and the breeding. Will be done by all sizes of bucks it takes does to make bucks the way I see it what do y'all think

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Re: Over management

Postby terry08 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:37 am

Believe your correct.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:38 am

It's hard to say but looks like it will go the way you are thinking.
We got a place on our club that we have restrictions on and I just don't know how they will turn out.....we set harvest of deer at 2 bucks and 1 doe per membership. one buck can be state regulation and the other has to be a 8pt. or better and I just don't know about the 8pt. or better rule. Like I said this rule is only on the one place about 600 acres in size. On all the other land we have we go by state regulations and for the past couple of years I have noticed that these other lands have had more and better deer taken then the land with the restrictions. We just had our annual meeting and the membership voted again to keep it like it is now. Now this looks to me that it soon will be a larger ratio of does to bucks which is not good either.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:47 pm

It got to a point 5 years ago we were not seeing any deer no young bucks and no racked bucks. We decided to not shoot any does and last couple years we started seeing more and better deer. Actually the last two years actually harvested 3 nice bucks. And this year is looking like it will be better than the last two, but we are still not going to shoot any does this year.
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
10 Point

Postby alaska_av8r » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Do a formal cam survey once the season is over to get your answer, you could do it now but it's tons of work and after season would give you a management plan to start for next year. Depends on what you want out of your hunting, but ideally for the herd you would want a 1 to 1 buck/doe ratio with a total population at about 70% of the carrying capacity of your land. This in general will help with overall health and tighten the rut among other things.
alaska_av8r
button buck

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:17 am

they have been hammering the does for years, in the club I'm in now.. The club requires you to kill 2 does, and it gets harder & harder to see a mature doe... Small bucks are everywhere.. the does are getting fewer & far between, and getting much much smarter..
gtk
Admin

Postby Bullie » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:45 am

Over-harvesting of does has really messed up a bunch of hunting land. The biologists were really doe happy for a good while, it hurt our club for sure, but I don't know if that is still the management trend.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby Allisonboatsms » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:15 pm

If your trying to manage for big bucks and to see deer on their feet during the rut... Kill your does down to a 1-1 or 1-2 buck to doe ratio. If you want to have a healthy balanced herd with a slower more spotty rut.. Try and keep it about 6 or 7 to 1. Anything more and your bucks about kill themselves during the rut and you still have does getting bred in February and even March in southern MS. Or so say the residents bio management guys I confer with.
By the pricking of my thumbs...Something wicked this way comes.
Ruger M77 HAWKEYE 25-06 .. DEATH FROM AFAR.

TEAM 5
Allisonboatsms
6 Point

Return to Archery