• Advertisement

Mid December

Mid December

Postby flipper » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:16 pm

It's an El Nino year, so we are dealing with a warm and wet pattern. Today, however, December 17, is clear and crisp. It's the first day of a 4 day stretch that I have to hunt. While I saw about 16, including one young 8 point chasing does, it wasn't a very exciting morning. Maybe because it was a bit breezy. Who knows, but I do anticipate some good action as the end of the week progresses. This morning I simply walked quietly across the north part of the property, stopping to watch over the pastures and fields. I did hear what I assume was a buck "roaring" in the woods north of our property. I heard this sound one other occasion in the same vicinity. Wish I could at least get a look at what is making the sound. It almost sounds like someone throwing up. :shock: You'd have to work where I do to understand that. Some folks just put everything they have into hurling. Anyway, the first time I ever heard it (before today), it was preceded by some of those cricket sounding grunts. Then I heard something running in leaves. I want to see that boy, and soon. That will be a good area to hunt this afternoon. Hopefully the wind will die down a lot.
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
User avatar
flipper
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 pm
Location: Yazoo County

Re: Mid December

Postby gtk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:51 pm

i was supposed to be off all next week, but have changed my plans because of the weather.. highs in the upper 60's and lows in the upper 50's, just don't produce good results for me deer hunting..

i guess i'll save up my vacation for turkey & crappie
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Mid December

Postby terry08 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:24 pm

flipper wrote:It's an El Nino year, so we are dealing with a warm and wet pattern. Today, however, December 17, is clear and crisp. It's the first day of a 4 day stretch that I have to hunt. While I saw about 16, including one young 8 point chasing does, it wasn't a very exciting morning. Maybe because it was a bit breezy. Who knows, but I do anticipate some good action as the end of the week progresses. This morning I simply walked quietly across the north part of the property, stopping to watch over the pastures and fields. I did hear what I assume was a buck "roaring" in the woods north of our property. I heard this sound one other occasion in the same vicinity. Wish I could at least get a look at what is making the sound. It almost sounds like someone throwing up. :shock: You'd have to work where I do to understand that. Some folks just put everything they have into hurling. Anyway, the first time I ever heard it (before today), it was preceded by some of those cricket sounding grunts. Then I heard something running in leaves. I want to see that boy, and soon. That will be a good area to hunt this afternoon. Hopefully the wind will die down a lot.

Flipper, you need a grunt call. When you hear him grunting, you need to grunt or snort. They will usually come to check out who has invaded their territory.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
User avatar
terry08
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:59 am
Location: Yazoo County MS

Re: Mid December

Postby flipper » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:54 am

terry08 wrote:
flipper wrote:It's an El Nino year, so we are dealing with a warm and wet pattern. Today, however, December 17, is clear and crisp. It's the first day of a 4 day stretch that I have to hunt. While I saw about 16, including one young 8 point chasing does, it wasn't a very exciting morning. Maybe because it was a bit breezy. Who knows, but I do anticipate some good action as the end of the week progresses. This morning I simply walked quietly across the north part of the property, stopping to watch over the pastures and fields. I did hear what I assume was a buck "roaring" in the woods north of our property. I heard this sound one other occasion in the same vicinity. Wish I could at least get a look at what is making the sound. It almost sounds like someone throwing up. :shock: You'd have to work where I do to understand that. Some folks just put everything they have into hurling. Anyway, the first time I ever heard it (before today), it was preceded by some of those cricket sounding grunts. Then I heard something running in leaves. I want to see that boy, and soon. That will be a good area to hunt this afternoon. Hopefully the wind will die down a lot.

Flipper, you need a grunt call. When you hear him grunting, you need to grunt or snort. They will usually come to check out who has invaded their territory.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk


I haven't had much luck with a grunt or can, but I think I'll try again....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
User avatar
flipper
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 pm
Location: Yazoo County

Re: Mid December

Postby terry08 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:21 am

flipper wrote:
terry08 wrote:
flipper wrote:It's an El Nino year, so we are dealing with a warm and wet pattern. Today, however, December 17, is clear and crisp. It's the first day of a 4 day stretch that I have to hunt. While I saw about 16, including one young 8 point chasing does, it wasn't a very exciting morning. Maybe because it was a bit breezy. Who knows, but I do anticipate some good action as the end of the week progresses. This morning I simply walked quietly across the north part of the property, stopping to watch over the pastures and fields. I did hear what I assume was a buck "roaring" in the woods north of our property. I heard this sound one other occasion in the same vicinity. Wish I could at least get a look at what is making the sound. It almost sounds like someone throwing up. :shock: You'd have to work where I do to understand that. Some folks just put everything they have into hurling. Anyway, the first time I ever heard it (before today), it was preceded by some of those cricket sounding grunts. Then I heard something running in leaves. I want to see that boy, and soon. That will be a good area to hunt this afternoon. Hopefully the wind will die down a lot.

Flipper, you need a grunt call. When you hear him grunting, you need to grunt or snort. They will usually come to check out who has invaded their territory.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk


I haven't had much luck with a grunt or can, but I think I'll try again....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time they have worked for me, is when I hear one grunt or bawl. Then I just do a few low grunts, they seem to come to check out the competition.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
User avatar
terry08
Pope&Young
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:59 am
Location: Yazoo County MS


Return to Flippers Journal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests