• Advertisement

Late December into Jan. 2016

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Christmas weekend was downright hot so I didn't bother to hunt. I had Christmas prep to do anyway, and no freezer space to speak of. I have a nice little supplemental chest freezer now to go with the upright, and the weather is more cooperative, so I hope I can score once more. While it seems the frantic rut is over, there is still chasing going on. I saw a nice buck this morning, New Years Day, trotting along throwing his head up in the wind periodically. Didn't shoot because I wasn't able to get a real feel for his size and also because I didn't have much time before he disappeared down in a creek. I think he was similar to the 9 point I took back on Dec. 18, but times weren't as long. That gave me hope that maybe some of the large ones are restless. I'm out here after them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Re: Late December into Jan. 2016

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Back in mid Dec. I saw an amusing sight from my yard. Down the hill in the pasture I spotted a doe with her head up looking alertly at something. I walked a few steps and saw a bigger bodied deer (buck). Ran in the house to get my gun. Didn't see them but knew he was probably chasing her up the little ditch. Wrong. She was chasing him and he only had one antler! The things you see in the country!

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 am

Coffee buck (reprinted from elsewhere)
Wasn't going to hunt this morning because it's Sunday. So I get my coffee and go to the sunroom to watch the birds at the feeders. I look beyond my palomino "Grinch" outside the barn and see a deer down in the open pasture at the pond. I glass it with the binos we keep on the table and see that it's a doe and there is another grazing behind her. Well it has antlers. I holler at my husband to come take a look. He does and then hands the binos back to me. The buck looks fairly decent but won't get out from behind the willow tree for me to get a better look. They look back at the woods and I see more deer running up in them. I have to go feed horses anyway, so I throw my camo clothes on over my night gown, grab my 30-06 and head to the barn. I know the deer can't see or smell me, but as I get to the barn, I see them running. Then I see something white. Sundance, one of our pups. He had one going up the creek, but the buck and doe were still in the pasture. He stopped and I got. good look, but I didn't shoot. He was pretty good, but it would compromise church. If he had been a wall hanger, I would have shot and figured something out. It was fun all the same.

viewtopic.php?t=21584#p188524

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to Flippers Journal