• Advertisement

Brisket for the 1st time...

Share your favorite recipes and discuss new recipes !

Moderator: terry08

• Advertisement

Postby chadbragg » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:51 am

I've always wanted to do a brisket, but the fear of ruining a $50-60 chunk of meat turned my stomach and kept me from it. Well I finally decided to try one yesterday and couldn't be more pleased! Next time I will brine it before, but this was somewhat last minute.

After cutting a customers yard I called around to all the local stores and finally located one that had them. Around 10:30 I removed it from the package, trimmed excess fat (saved for sausage making), and rubbed it down with a "gun powder" spice blend I picked up as well. Then I injected it with a mixture of apple juice, alegro, chicken broth (didn't have beef on hand) and let it sit out for about an hour. I prepared the coals and added 3 pieces of split applewood. I added the meat at 11:45, using the remote thermometer I kept check, about 3.5hrs in it reached 155° where it stayed for almost 3hrs. Once it started climbing again I wrapped it and added more seasoning and the mixture I injected. Approximately 9 hrs in it finally reached 195° and turned out fantastic! Will definitely be doing more in the future! Image

This is roughly 4hrs inImage

And final product! Image

The Akorn held 225-250° for 9 hrs and I didn't touch the coals! Awesome awesome awesome grill!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: Brisket for the 1st time...

Postby gtk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:22 am

looks good Chad !
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 am

Looks fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:22 pm

looks great! I like a good pulled pork shoulder, but a good brisket beats it every time in my book.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Chad did it slice good and was it tender?

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby huntall » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Looks good
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:20 pm

It sliced perfect! It wasn't fall apart tender like I've had at some places in texas, but it was as good as any place I've had around here.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 am

Sounds good, I don't like a brisket to fall apart. I like to be tender, but still hold together for even slicing.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:47 am

Sounds great...I got one in the freezer I need to pull out and put in the smoker.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 am

looks good
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 am

That looks beautiful Chad. Thanks for sharing your technique. Where did you get your brisket? Would you add the same marinade liquids to the brine next time, or just plain brine. Got my mouth watering and its 8:14am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:54 am

Chad, I did this one in the Masterbuilt.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Terry, how did you prepare yours and what temperture and time to cook.

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Jimmy, I have gotten to old. I have been smoking and cooking brisket in the oven for many years. Like chicken wings, they were once considered to be the least desired and cheapest cuts of meat. But due to competition cooking and hot wings, they have both become way over priced. Especially the brisket, since it is not cut from heavy aged beef as the ones that we used to buy for under a dollar a pound from local butcher shops. When buying steaks, brisket, and many other cuts today, there is no guarantee that you are getting a tender cut of meat. I like to think that I am a pretty good judge of meat, but find myself like so many others today realizing that you can no longer judge meat by looks alone.
All that being said, I try to do all I can to ensure that I end up with at least an edible piece of meat when it comes to a brisket. I will try to buy it two weeks in advance, and let it age in the fridge for that amount of time. This is not true aging but I feel like it helps.
I use my old stand by Rebel Rub, I have tried many others with good results. But Rebel has never failed me and seems to please everybody's taste. I will melt 1 or 2 sticks of salted butter, not margin, and add about a half a cup of apple juice to it. I rub my brisket down with the mixture and leave it in the mix overnight in the fridge. The next morning, I coat it heavy with the Rebel Rub and let it come to room temperature. I drain the apple butter mixture into a cup and keep for later. I place the brisket in the same aluminum pan and into the smoker at 225 degrees. With a meat probe inserted. I have a Taylor probe which is very accurate. I use apple chips or pellets and smoke for 4 to 6 hours but usually 4 is plenty for me. I then let it go until my probe reads 185 degrees, I pull it out and brush on the apple butter I reserved cover with foil and let rest for 45 minutes. It should get very close to 195 at that point. I let cool a little before slicing. If I am lucky enough to have got a good brisket, it should be tender and tasty. But I have done this many times and still ended up with a tough cut of meat. Unless you know for a fact that you have a heavy aged cut from good stock, all you can do is hope for the best.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Terry I will try that soon and I do realize that getting a good cut of brisket is almost impossible.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 am

Jimmy, getting a good cut of anything seems impossible. Even my last steaks which were choice from Kroger, we're tough as shoe leather. At 12.99 a lb. They were returned for a refund. Seems like everyone I have purchased in the past several months has been that way. Except for the filets, but we prefer a good rib eye. Guess that's why I like seafood, fish and fresh veggies. They haven't screwed them up yet, but give um time.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:28 am

jv wrote:Thanks Terry I will try that soon and I do realize that getting a good cut of brisket is almost impossible.

Chad's, looks a little moisture than mine, you might want to try his method and recipe, just in the smoker. As long as temperature is right it should turn out as good as the Acorn. May have to get one soon. When I can find a place to hide it from Sherrie, every time I mention another grill, she frowns at me. Lol

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:01 am

Already had Chad's recipe wrote down and plan on trying them both before long.

And like you said it's hard to beat seafood and vegetables....love some grilled or smoked shrimp.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:05 pm

I agree Terry. Meat cuts are not what they used to be. I've quit buying steaks from Kroger. Got some ribeyes from SAMs and they had a good flavor, but were tough. I can't bring myself to buy those huge Sanderson Farms chickens either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Flipper, I am on your team. I have about given up on store bought meat. As for chicken, the only ones I buy are Pilgrims Pride, from Walmart. I hate to admit that. But they smoke better than any I have tried. All meat today has become tasteless and I don't have a clue where it was raised or what it was fed.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Flipper I picked it up at a local owned grocery store. It was actually hard to find one around here. Apparently they are grinding them up

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Chad
The next time you smoke one, just rub it with a little salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Brisket does not require a spicy rub to be great......
roll the smoke low and slow for at least 10 hours
:D :D :D
:stir:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Return to Recipe Discussion